What are these drags?

Started by Bill B, December 27, 2020, 10:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Just opened up a 113H and found these CF drags, but they look to have some type of clear coat on them.  I suspect they are original Penn drags.....anyone have any experience with them?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

To me, Bill —

They appear to be CF"s that were run dry — no Cal's — and glazed over.

They can be roughed up and reused after being greased with Cal's — but the best solution is to install a new set of CF's greased up with Cal's.  They will be much smoother and effective through all ranges from start-up to full lock-down.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

these are original thick ht-100's.  the "thin" penn ht-100's like the jigmaster 6-309 and long beach 6-60 had a cloth-like appearance with a soft weave.  these "thick" ht-100's had what i believe is a fiberglass core with layers of woven carbon fiber glued to either side.  early on, they used too much glue and the result is what you see here.  interestingly, they seem to work fine with cal's grease, but whenever i find these, i replace them.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

TheY are original CF Penn drags. They are probably glazed a little from slipping. Rub them up on a clean rag or some fine emmery, lube them & install them. They should work fine.       Rudy

handi2

HT-100's as posted. They are completely worn out and compressed. I bet they are as hard as a rock.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL