Was this a qualified line test?

Started by gstours, December 28, 2020, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on December 31, 2020, 12:53:52 AM
sunline mono
Is that the yellow stuff that floats?  I tried some once but couldn't figure out how to put it to good use.
-s

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on December 31, 2020, 05:01:01 AM
sunline mono
Is that the yellow stuff that floats?  I tried some once but couldn't figure out how to put it to good use.
-s
sunline super natural mono,,,,,, ;) but think it's a nylon blend 8lb dia.009 same as 6lb in most,,,,,,,, ;D

SteveL

I don't know about the Sunline Mono, but Sunline FC Sniper flourocarbon is good.

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 31, 2020, 05:01:01 AM
sunline mono
-s

Hey Steve, a good use would be fishing with it.  You're welcome for the tip.   ;D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

if it's floating hi-vis mono, it's prob. float line: for long drifts -- not casting
I mean, you can cast, but small diameter/distance are NOT the point
it's supposed to sit on top & come off the surface better for mending/hookset
I'd expect less memory & slower water absorption, too
can't use regular mono that spirals and/or bows under the surface when water-logged,
between rod-tip & distant float

Benni3

No it's a clear Japanese line,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

sorry, not your Sunline, Benni... 
Steve needs a use for " yellow stuff that floats"
if his is a dedicated float line, should be this or much like it:

boon

Quote from: Gfish on December 30, 2020, 06:12:31 AM

Also, found an old spool of J-Braid, "x-4". It's PE#4,  40lb.,  0.29mm. No "Grand" on the label either. How strong is this one?

X4 is a fair bit more accurate. No idea why. 41lb is what that line is rated in the European market.

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on December 31, 2020, 08:17:48 PM" yellow stuff that floats"
if his is a dedicated float line, should be this or much like it:
I thought it was going to keep my line off the bottom and reduce snags.  It was a bust and didn't behave anything like I imagined.

In order to float they had to reduce the nylon density.  Reduced density means the line is fat compared to regular mono of the same strength.  Big fat mono doesn't cast very well...  especially compared to spectra.  

I also tried using it as a short top shot.  Jig to floro, floro  to Sunline, and Sunline to spectra.   The Sunline-to-floro knot did a lot of clicking and clacking trying to cast through the guides.  The Sunline-to-spectra knot slowed it down even more.
-s