Penn 6500V

Started by Scattergun2570, December 28, 2020, 08:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So my buddy hooked a rod and reel while fluke fishing.He unfortunately took the whole reel apart,and after realizing he has no idea what he's doing,gave it to me in 3 Ziplock bags. So I am doing everything I can to get this reel working again. Anyway,the crosswind block will not separate from the spool shaft. I thought the Penn reel disassembly process was taking out the crosswind block screws out ,and pull the spool shaft,,but he got it out with it attached. Anyhow,was curious as to how I can get it separated. Thanks

JasonGotaProblem

This is a "picture is worth a thousand words" kind of thing.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

It's just corroded in. Use any penetrating oil or use a propane torch to heat the crosswind block. They use Loctite on those screws. The heat will loosen the Loctite. The screw heads will strip easily so take your time.

You can replace it you put the crosswind gear in first them work the spool shaft in with the block attached. Make sure you leave the pinion gear, it's bearings, and the clutch bearing out. It's kinds like assembling it backwards.

Many of the Shimano reels are assembled this way.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on December 29, 2020, 08:43:43 PM
It's just corroded in. Use any penetrating oil or use a propane torch to heat the crosswind block. They use Loctite on those screws. The heat will loosen the Loctite. The screw heads will strip easily so take your time.

You can replace it you put the crosswind gear in first them work the spool shaft in with the block attached. Make sure you leave the pinion gear, it's bearings, and the clutch bearing out. It's kinds like assembling it backwards.

Many of the Shimano reels are assembled this way.

Keith

Thanks for the response Keith,my friend did remove the two screws from the crosswind block..thats how it came to me.. I will try heating it up..Thanks again.