Dam quick 220-221 drag upgrade

Started by quang tran, April 24, 2024, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan S and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

quang tran

Dam 220 is strong reel but when fight big fish the drag fell .It have a good side spool but too small drag washer and plastic spool easy too melt so to day I try to cut some carbon washer out of carbon sheet that order from the net .The sheet is not from carbon tech but I think it should work the same just a shiny surface that can easy sand out
There is 1 bigger washer under spool 8x18x1mm and some smaller 8x15x1mm .Carbon sheet is 1 mm thick .Using drill bit little bigger 8.6mm to drill several holes then cut out square pieces with steel cutting tool then  use 1/4 carriage bolt and nut tight up 4 washer at time then grind off to make round washers around 8.5x14.5x1mm .do the same for bigger washer .Come out not very nice but it should  work, next time will be better .The bigger drag washer under spool is more important,after put them in I feel it have much strong drag and but smooth

oldmanjoe

Interesting looks like carbon fiber board . is it very stiff ?  Can you post a link to it ?
        I have been using this material , you can cut it with scissors .  It is a plain weave instead of the twill weave .  I did buy the board stuff also and like you wrote, it is very shinny . I have not tried it yet ,it has too much resin coating .

This material come in 3 sizes .05 -.08 and 1 mm .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XMZWFF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A38YW7L8VNIPG7&psc=1
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

quang tran

www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806162800904.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.122.21ef18022AsIZS&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
This is the link that I bought carbon sheet from ,May be I can cut it but it may broke so I use rotary cutter

oldmanjoe

Can you flex that material like it shows in that link ?     The 1 mm board that i have you can not bend .   Were as the Cabric material is very flexible .

Let us know how the drag works , smooth start up and good ramp up to lock down .
Are you using it dry or are you greasing the drag washers ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

quang tran

As I mention this is not same material as carbon tech ,it is more rigged sheet than the screen but I think it work the same .Let's find out on the water

Milan S

Quote from: quang tran on Today at 01:51:40 AMwww.aliexpress.us/item/3256806162800904.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.122.21ef18022AsIZS&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
This is the link that I bought carbon sheet from ,May be I can cut it but it may broke so I use rotary cutter

That material is not good for drag washers. Too stiff. Carbon canvas should be used.