QUICK SUPER 270

Started by Alto Mare, December 28, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

This is my order , if you don`t have room for all washers ,you can skip the very bottom friction .    You may have to start with a tongue washer for the very bottom .
  Check to see if your spool slots go all the way to the bottom , most ear washers w on`t hit the floor were as a tongue washer will or a friction
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

This one is the stock arrangement  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

With an eared washer on top — when the spool rotates as the drag is in active mode — it will rotate (wind the drag tighter) the drag knob under heavier drag pressures.  Line will break with a heavy fish on.

Since you have aftermarket drags — if they came from Adam — he told us that the eared washers were a tight fit — and might need some filing work, if I recall.

To prove this — set up one with a factory drag stack — exactly as the schematic shows.  Then try it.

The fact that all 10 of your reels are acting the same — is a big clue.

These reels will handle a lot of drag pressure — but the stack must be loose — with maybe a washer or two removed — and the keyed washer cannot be on top where it contacts the drag knob under heavy pressure.

Keep the stack loose — so that it has a chance to work under all drag ranges.

When Adam made the washers — he indicated that they were too tight of a fit — and would need some experimenting  around with.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

So I was curious about the drag washers after watching "custom DAM quick super 270 made water tight for surf fishing" so I contacted Darren and he never upgraded the drag washers,,,,,,, :D and the reel on the video is for sale on ebay it-193807132625 now I'm more curious,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on February 08, 2021, 05:42:49 AM
custom DAM quick super 270 made water tight for surf fishing
Wow, that guy's really good.  Inventive and a fine craftsmen.  However, he keeps saying "submergable" which is not a word.  It's submersible.

Rivverrat

Thanks guys !  I was starting think it was me just running dumb again  :D

The pic of the spool had the drag stack pushed up higher than it actually set.

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on February 08, 2021, 04:58:20 AM

..... The fact that all 10 of your reels are acting the same — is a big clue....

Best, Fred

Yup !  ;D    Yes it is is. Exactly my reason for mentioning it. To reveal the possibility now a fact that I was clueless  ;)    Thanks Fred ! 

foakes

We are all learning, Jeff —

None of us is clueless — unless we don't ask questions.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Joe, I wish to thank you for your help & for staying with me on this ... Jeff

foakes

Joe is very sharp!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  Glad to help , truth be told i come here to learn also .......  Still in the classroom , hopefully still awake !!!!!!
    I though about it after i posted the picture of my stack , that the spool was  cut a little deeper in the well .    It`s .450 deep from deck to basement .. The stack is 325 thick under the clip .
   Here is a picture  were the slot is not all the way to the bottom , that`s why i would not start with a ear washer " dead air space "

basto

I know this is an old thread, but had to say I changed the 3 stock resitex washers in my  550, which has the same drag as the 270.
I put carbontex in and got the same tightening of the drag with fish on.
I had done this with 2 reels with same result.
I took out the carbontex and put the stock drag back after wiping the resitex washers and the metal washers dry and my drags are working perfectly.
I think DAM got it right the first time.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oldmanjoe

Quote from: basto on January 30, 2022, 09:31:20 PM
I know this is an old thread, but had to say I changed the 3 stock resitex washers in my  550, which has the same drag as the 270.

I put carbontex in and got the same tightening of the drag with fish on.

I had done this with 2 reels with same result.
I took out the carbontex and put the stock drag back after wiping the resitex washers and the metal washers dry and my drags are working perfectly.
I think DAM got it right the first time.
Greg
Greg      You may have mixed up your steel washer order if you had the drags tightening with fish on .   
           As quoted  from Fred`s post    ;  With an eared washer on top — when the spool rotates as the drag is in active mode — it will rotate (wind the drag tighter) the drag knob under heavier drag pressures.  Line will break with a heavy fish on.

foakes

The stock Resistex washers are very effective and nearly indestructible — they are only to be used dry.

They caught plenty of very large fish 65 years ago — and the fish haven't changed.

I have built these reels for clients in Eastern Europe, Romania, Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, and here in North America — using stock drag stacks.

Many of the folks use them to fish the canals common in Europe — for large, heavy Carp.  These fish can be 40 to 70 pounds — are tough fighters — plus they sound (head down) for safety — and must be horsed out of the canal and up the sides.  Tough on the drags and reel — but that is what these reels were designed for. 

This type of angling would explode or damage most modern reels. 

For the DQ Supers — it is just routine.  Rebait and catch another big ugly.

Right tools for the job...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

The 270 is definitely a Tank.
One of their best creations.
When you get to cranking on it. The centrifugal force makes you realize how powerful it really is.
Life is Good!