Shakespeare 2052 Main Gear Tooth

Started by sandbar, January 04, 2021, 02:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I'm working on a 2052 EE
Just servicing it. There were no prior issues, just old grease.
When I went to reassemble it there was a catch in the mating surfaces of the pinion and the main gear that wasn't there before I began. I didn't drop anything so I'm trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it. The pinion and the main gear went into the lacquer thinner together and afterwards into the ultrasonic cleaner together. Here is some pictures. What is the proper way to fix this?
Thank You for your guidance
-Steve

philaroman

wait for Fred: he'll know whether that's minor enough to fix w/ lapping compound,
or if you need a new main, which he prob. has

oldmanjoe

Do you have needle files to clean up the tooth profile ?   In this case even a folded piece of sandpaper would work .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Joe is right — all it will take is a little more finessey work.

Clean it again with the lacquer thinner & US cleaner.

Then, using good light and magnification — use a tiny jewelers file to clean up the tooth distortion area.

Slow and careful is the key here — don't want to take off any more material than necessary — just what is bad.

Try to match your work with the good teeth adjacent to the bad ones you are working on — with a single stroke of the file at a time.

Then, rinse and dry it again —

Then using a 1/4" piece of plate glass and some fine Emory paper (about 400 to 600) flat lap the surface area of the gear until smooth. This can be done wet or dry.  Wet work better — but dry will work as well.

Then clean up all of the teeth with a fine wire wheel on your bench grinder.

Rinse again, dry, lube with grease, install and test.  Should work.  If not — do everything over.

Sounds like a tedious and long task — it isn't — it is just the necessary way to clean up the main.

The key here is to not get too aggressive —  but have a plan and a visualized end goal — and it will all be fine.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred
I don't currently own a set of tiny jewelers files.
Do you have any recommendations on a good quality set?
I'll need to get a lighted magnifying lamp also.
Thank You
-Steve

foakes

For me, using something only maybe twice a year — doesn't justify a large expense — as long as it works.

My jeweler needle files were purchased at Harbor Freight for around 3 or 4 bucks.  Works fine — although I have only used maybe 2 of the 8 or 10.

It doesn't take much to straighten and remove a burr.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred.
Exactly what I needed to hear.

oldmanjoe

You can use a finger nail board [ Emery board ] in a pinch ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare