Ohana help on History/Info on Silaflex Perfexion and Wright McGill spinning rods

Started by Brewcrafter, January 14, 2021, 06:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

I have used the last few days to start on a stack of my Dad and also my Father in Laws rods and starting to clean them up/assess their condition.  I can only make vague guesses about some of the details, but I do like to get a more complete picture wherever possible and figure if the knowledge exists anywhere, it will be in this forum.  Both of them are of fiberglass construction. 
First up - Silaflex Perfexion Model 16 spinning rod.  Has a Silaflex sticker up by the first guide that indicates they were made locally in Costa Mesa.  It appears to have lost about 5" of tip at some point, since the tip guide doesn't really "match".

One of the other rods I am curious about is this Wright McGill President Series 7' spinner.  Appears to say it is #889 of 1995 or thereabouts.  It unfortunately is missing the first guide.

I know when I randomly Google, I immediately come up with references to fly rods by both of these manufacturers, but have found little to zero information about spinning rods.  I also see that there is some kind of company symbiosis between Wright McGill and Eagle Claw, but I am not entirely sure if one came before the other or if they were separate divisions of the same company, so to speak (apparently the founders of Eagle Claw were two fisherman Wright and McGill?).  Oddly, I have another larger saltwater rod that was my Dad's and it clearly is labelled Eagle Claw with a medallion set into the cork handle, but I remember that one being purchased.
Timing-wise and knowing the lives of the gentlemen that passed these on to my care, I am guessing they probably acquired them sometime between late 50's and early 70's (prior to that both gentleman were running around the Western Pacific and Korean Peninsula, and after about 1970 I would likely remember them being acquired or being used) but that doesn't necessarily mean that was when they were manufactured; they may have picked them up from someone else or possibly even acquired them in a purchase at whatever "Base Exchange" they were stationed at/close to (I know that a lot of the gear I am sorting through was purchased in that manner).
If any other specs, photos, etc would help do not hesitate, and thanks in advance for any thoughts on the history of these! - john

philaroman

both good US-made glass
anything w/ broken blank at tip -- DRASTIC value drop, but might be usable
EC started as a W&M product line...  I think earliest EC was US-made, like the yellow Noodle & Star Trolling
many W&M fly & spin-fly, esp. "travel" -- not so many proper Spinning
could have value, even w/ missing guide, as long as blank is intact
ask here: https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33