ISO Shimano FX-B500 parts

Started by Brandon G, January 11, 2021, 05:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Parts #RD1023 Handle Lock Screw, handle lock washer#RD1008 and handle lock retainer#RD1007

Or are there aftermarket parts I'm unaware of?
Tight Lines :)

philaroman

is this late-80's HUGE 500-size, or
mid-90's-to-present tiny 500-size?
(not that old -- just boxy-looking)

personal reel, or a job?
"make it all that it can be", OR just get it working?

Brandon G

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2021, 06:43:14 AM
is this late-80's HUGE 500-size, or
mid-90's-to-present tiny 500-size?
(not that old -- just boxy-looking)

personal reel, or a job?
"make it all that it can be", OR just get it working?

I believe it is the mid 90's smaller 500.
I just want to connect the handle, or "upgrade" it if getting NOS/OEM parts isn't possible.
I also have a SpeedMaster 6000SM which I WOULD be interested in turning that into a monster... it already feels insane compared to say... my 706z or something similar in size.

philaroman

absolutely ANY Shimano handle screw assembly w/ same general look (and many others w/ separate cap) up to 4000 & most 5000 will work
your part #'s are obsolete, simply because they have not made that specific flavor of plastic in that shade of black, for a while ;D
I have stuff from 3-BB Spirex 500F/FA (later generation of "boxy little 500") that should all fit: tiny double-paddle handle w/ nut/screw, metal spool,
prob. more BB's (not sure which/where in older design -- are your main nylon bushings same size as pinion bearing?)

off hand, for big reel, have a pile of pristine Sustain 6000FA single-shielded main/pinion bearings...  maybe much more
can't find your schem...  is there something else on reel -- Triton, Bantam, etc.?

philaroman

is it a Custom-X: https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Custom/SHIMANO%20CUSTOM%20X%20SPEEDMASTER%20CX6000SM%2887-18%29.pdf

almost certain, but check: are the pinion/main bearings/bushings all same dimensions?
(ignore any little ears/tabs on plastic bushings)

Brandon G

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2021, 06:37:45 PM
is it a Custom-X: https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Custom/SHIMANO%20CUSTOM%20X%20SPEEDMASTER%20CX6000SM%2887-18%29.pdf

almost certain, but check: are the pinion/main bearings/bushings all same dimensions?

(ignore any little ears/tabs on plastic bushings)

Im not sure, ill have to check on the bearings but it is a custom-x, sorry!!

I havent taken either apart yet as I picked them up yesterday.

philaroman

don't be sorry...  Shimano's naming/numbering was seriously convoluted, then even worse than now
Speed Master was a model name AND a feature name slapped onto other model names

looks like original 3-digit Baitrunner without the Baitrunner feature  ;D
(if spool is metal -- worth more as parts source, than working reel)
VERY early use of 4-digit models is confusing, as to size
my Baitrunner 450 is bigger than Sustain 6000FA; BB's & bling swap over nicely (plenty extras)
I don't play w/ bigger size, much -- not sure where there's a "parts caliber jump"
if yours is 650-size, my toys may not be as useful

Brandon G

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2021, 10:05:35 PM
don't be sorry...  Shimano's naming/numbering was seriously convoluted, then even worse than now
Speed Master was a model name AND a feature name slapped onto other model names

looks like original 3-digit Baitrunner without the Baitrunner feature  ;D
(if spool is metal -- worth more as parts source, than working reel; VERY early use of 4-digit models is confusing, as to size)
my Baitrunner 450 is bigger than modern Sustain 6000FA (BB's & bling swap over nicely) -- I don't play w/ bigger size, much
if yours is 650-size, my toys may not be as useful -- not sure where there's a "parts caliber jump"

Where would I be looking on the reel to figure out the sizing? I assume, to take off the spool and there should be some markings?

philaroman

I edited...  might be clearer

just compare line capacities to Baitrunner 450 & 650

Brandon G

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2021, 10:46:47 PM
I edited...  might be clearer

just compare line capacities to Baitrunner 450 & 650

I get it, compare the capacity, but where do i find that info? Brand new to shimano reels

philaroman

450 is 14/295; 17/250; 25/160

650 is 20/270; 25/230; 30/185

Brandon G

Quote from: philaroman on January 11, 2021, 11:58:15 PM

450 is 14/295; 17/250; 25/160

650 is 20/270; 25/230; 30/185

philaroman

yup...  Baitrunner 450 without the Baitrunner...  AX-400/500 is also very similar
add 1 BB to main gear -- not much else to improve easily; not really worth improving, if it ain't easy
mine got more BB's AND bling, only because it's a Baitrunner -- wouldn't bother, otherwise

Brandon G

I can't seem to find "MLZ" in the Reelschmatics catalog.
The bolt for the handle fit, just not the cap. woot woot.
Kind of sad though, I like the MLZ and wanted the ultralite for some of my rods.
Probably will put it back and find another donor.
Cool knowledge though.

philaroman

sorry, was waiting for Custom-X photo and forgot about you

schematics for MLZ are under miscellaneous (odd short-lived models):
https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/shimano-misc-schematics/#gsc.tab=0
don't know why you "like the MLZ and wanted the ultralite"...  still have most parts for a clean MLX-20
heavy, clunky ML/M with bad drag, IMO --  I parted it out just for the brass bushings & some A/R parts
could prob. combine it w/ your MLZ, for a nice 3-bearing gearbox/body, but spool/drag design inherently SUCKS!

also, don't know why you thought, "I believe it is the mid 90's smaller 500", about the above beast -- schematics say '88:
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/FX%20Series/SHIMANO%20FXB500%2888-34%29.pdf
ignore everything I said about the handle screw!!!  that's for newer, smaller reels
get some photos of FX-B next to Custom-X showing side w/ screw/cap
also, w/ external parts removed & pref. sideplates off to show BB/bushing cavity

FX-B has 35-y-o plastic bushings on main gear (1 on Custom-X, prob. same size)
should be replaced w/ bearings for strength & gear alignment/longevity, even more so than smoothness