Penn Squall roller clutch removal

Started by jzumi, December 30, 2020, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Working on a Squall 20LW and I can't figure out how to remove the roller clutch from the right side plate.  I tried tapping it out with a mallet and a deep socket on both sides and it didn't budge.  I did not want to crack the plate.

Then I noticed that the roller clutch is not shown or listed on the schematic, only the right side plate as an "Assembly."  Does this mean that the roller clutch is non-removable from the plate assembly?  Or is there some way I can remove the clutch for replacement?

Thanks for any ideas!

John

alantani

here's the schematic.  http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/sql20lw.pdf  chances are that the AR bearing is pressed in.  that means it will also have to be pressed out.  for the best support to avoid cracking the side plate, i usually use a socket that is just a little larger than the AR bearing itself.  a hydraulic press is best.  i have to use a bench vise.  either way, you should be able to feel it "give" as the pressure increases.  had to stop using a hammer because i messed up a few.   :-\

a photo or two, plus the inside and outside dimensions, might help. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

I don't get it.  What key number on the schematic is the roller clutch.  If it doesn't have a separate number then maybe it is not meant to be removed from the side plate.  It does show an AR dog and ratchet.
-steve

alantani

it's common enough to have the anti-reverse roller bearings not listed.  i guess the manufacturers figure that the average customer would not be sophisticated enough to press out the old bearing and press in a new one!

akfish

The roller clutch bearings in both the Squall and Fathom star drag reels is affixed permanently to the right side plate. I haven't been able to remove one without ruining the side plate. But if the back up dogs are damaged, you might be able to clean and continue using the roller clutch bearing. Sometimes.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

any chance i can take a look at it sometime?

handi2

I've been through the same thing. The clutch bearing is not listed on the schematic. It's cheap enough to replace the side plate. I've tried to remove it as I have done with others. It ain't coming out.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SteveL

Quote from: akfish on December 31, 2020, 05:04:54 PM
The roller clutch bearings in both the Squall and Fathom star drag reels is affixed permanently to the right side plate. I haven't been able to remove one without ruining the side plate. But if the back up dogs are damaged, you might be able to clean and continue using the roller clutch bearing. Sometimes.

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2020, 09:54:38 PM
I've been through the same thing. The clutch bearing is not listed on the schematic. It's cheap enough to replace the side plate. I've tried to remove it as I have done with others. It ain't coming out.

Keith

What seems to be the problem with pressing it out?  Is it overly tight?  Pressed in with glue or loctite?  No good way to support the sideplate for pressing it out?

If I assume I have to order a new plate anyway, that bearing is coming out one way or another.

For reference, here's a photo of the outside of the plate ($28 at Mystic):

Here's a photo of the inside of a SQL50LW sideplate (closest photo I found):

alantani

well, it LOOKS like it will push right out!

Brewcrafter

Maybe a nice overnight in the freezer first?  Downside I suspect it would actually make the sideplate more brittle but might help the metal to shrink slightly...- john

Rancanfish

Is this similar to the Penn Mag 525 'non replaceable' bearing?  I pushed it out, measured it and ordered one from Boca as I recall.  Went right back in and works like a champ.

Pretty sure Alan told me how.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SteveL

Did the clutch bearing press out OK?

jzumi

I rethought the situation and left it in place.  I cleaned it up, gave a light dab of TSI 321, and buttoned it up.

I figure that it's working for now.  If it does fail, then I'll press it out with my vise.