49'er Reef Caster

Started by Gfish, January 16, 2021, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Alex and the SF 49'ers came to mind when I thought about a custom reef baitcasting rod(basically a 2-handed 7' bass rod). He has a way with colors and deacles and I loved what he did for a friend on a LA Rams themed custom rod. So we worked on all my preferences, starting with the blank. He's real detail oriented, with information and opinions/suggestions about every step in the process.

The rod handle, both sides and the seat;
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

More;
Man I'm so bad at lighting when taking pictures. The 2nd pic. blank stats. say: NORTH FORK SJ706-1 - Fast - Heavy  7ft 0in - 10-17lb - 1/4-1oz

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

That's beautiful,  Alex has stepped his game up big time.  Hope you hang some nice ones on it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

Great work by Alex. He has come a long way in a short time. Great eye with colors.      Rudy

Gfish

A real nice Alps reel seat, cork handle/butt and the guides(9 + tip-top) are Fuji _ _,the best out of Alex's suggestions, but I deleted that specific model info. Maybe he can chime in here. Yup, there's some grass on the guides(last pictures from above post) from practice casting on the lawn at work. Casts 7/8's of an oz.- great! Plenty of fast load and snap-back with this puppy.

I love me some detailed work. Even the packaging was top-notch. Everything was wraped with foam paper and the tip was protected with extra bubble wrap. Nothing moved in the PVC tube. And I got detailed instructions before it arrived:"if you see some BLUE bubble packing plastic when you take one of the caps on the tube, thats the rod tip, DONT pull from it, you could break the tip..."

Alex, I think the postal inspectors got to us though. It came with one end cap missing and the tape right there where the cap used to be, with cut marks on it. They probably pulled it out( the right way thankfully) then twisted it back in. It was still real tight when I got it. The cap? Probably lost in the first P.O. It was shipped from---zip - 92231 - Calexico?

steelfish

wow, that was super fast shipping to Hawai, considering it was documented on the USPS california office monday, glad it arrived in one piece haha, my first rod that travel this far and I was kind of worried but now its in home and you liked it, I will post my "traditional way" to take pictures of a finished rod in the next days, let me tell you that it's was a pretty fun to work on your rod those NFC blanks have a very cool and unique feel (maybe normal from Gary loomis but I have never owned or used a Gloomis rod before), pretty sensitive and parabolic on the last 1/3 of the blank but then a nice and gradual stiffness to the rest of the blank when you pull on the tip, so I hadda (Gregg style) install another single foot on the last running guides to avoid the line to touch the blank when fighting a light fish, anyway, more details later.
Thanks again for let me put my personal touch on a fishing rod for you compadre Gregg.

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Welp, too bad the Niner's got beat-up so much in their 2019/20 superbowl run. They lost too many key players before, and at, this seasons beginning. For now, I'll wave my new magic wand to cast a spell on 2021's season and see if there's some mojo in it. Maybe a Raiders themed rod next?

Great job Alex! I'm very pleased. I now have 3 real nice fancy rods that aren't flyrods.

CooldadE

Very nice work ! With all that gold on the rod I figured you would mount that Penn Levelmatic on it ... ;-)   Ol School meets New Cool .

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Cor

Great looking rods.    Not so long ago Alex started Rod building, really pro finish now!
Cornelis

oc1

Good going.... both of you.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

:)     As the kids say today ....  Yer got a tube full of dope ...    Well done Alex , enjoy Greg..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Quote from: CooldadE on January 16, 2021, 05:30:13 AM
Very nice work ! With all that gold on the rod I figured you would mount that Penn Levelmatic on it ... ;-)   Ol School meets New Cool .

Cool
Yup. #1, the Abu Ultra Mag, not the greatest baitcaster, a mid-80's graphite comp., but it has that disengaging/auto-pick-up levelwind system, that I love. #2, a '73 Red Abu 5000, #3 the gold levelmatic, a gift from CooldadE.

steelfish

No need to open a new thread so, I will post some pictures of the fishing rod for Gregg before sending it to him.

Gregg, wanted good quality components and accesories for this fishing rod, no blig-bling metal inserts and themed with the 49's team, So, we looked some options for blanks and found this NorthFork composite blank he liked it for his needs, the guides used on this build are Fuji LN Alconite guides double foot for the 1st 5 guides and LN single foot for the rest 4 guides to the tip (just to keep the last section of the rod light and sensitive), the tiptop is Fuji Sic, the Reel seat is an ALPS aluminium Triggerseat which is perfect for this rod, high grade cork grips and the guides were wrapped with 49's colors.

the blank have the last 1/3 or almost last 1/4 really really flexible and sensitive, in that zone its so flexible that when checking the line on the static test I had to re-arrange the guide train and add another single foot guide until having a smooth line transition all the way the blank, after that sensitive zone of the blank it becomes a bit more stiff but in a smooth gradual way to the rest of the blank, I really liked this blank, no wonder why Shimano bought G-Loomis rods brand, after that Gary Loomis started Northfork composites blanks.

now, some pictures  ;D

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more
The Baja Guy