Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by ProMariner, January 16, 2021, 07:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Welcome, I'm glad you barged in.  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ProMariner

oc1

Welcome John,

So, you're a big game fisherman.  Must be because only big game could keep up with you.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with a hand line either if you if you find a technique and a fish that makes it fun.  I bet you could shoot some great videos.... I mean if they let you do stuff like that.  Maybe you could bring along a NMFS guy and call it science  :)
-steve

Bill B

Welcome from the Southern California mountains...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ProMariner

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I noticed a lot of the posts were deleted during the reboot., but I saw them all. Headed to the GOM now. We'll put out a trolling hand line tomorrow and see if we get anything!

ProMariner

Update. Got back the other day after a prolonged trip. No luck on the troll but will try again next trip after some consultation on what lures to pull. Averaged 7.2-11.9 kts depending on the Gulf Stream.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: ProMariner on March 13, 2021, 12:52:05 AM
Update. Got back the other day after a prolonged trip. No luck on the troll but will try again next trip after some consultation on what lures to pull. Averaged 7.2-11.9 kts depending on the Gulf Stream.

At those speeds you could troll wahoo bombs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

John good luck with the trolling, and welcome, from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Welcome from SoCal!  At those speeds time to troll some Nomads! - john

Gfish

Quote from: Dominick on March 13, 2021, 05:53:27 AM

Yup. Tuna species seem to like about 8 knots. Haulin em in must be tough, though. Was on a commercial Albie boat in the Pacific, 8 knots was the best speed(had hydraulic winches---easy). Was also on Snake/Columbia R. Tug/barge units, we's pushing from behind, but without the "articulating" aspect. How do you steer that set-up.?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ProMariner

Quote from: Gfish on March 13, 2021, 09:02:48 PM
Quote from: Dominick on March 13, 2021, 05:53:27 AM

Yup. Tuna species seem to like about 8 knots. Haulin em in must be tough, though. Was on a commercial Albie boat in the Pacific, 8 knots was the best speed(had hydraulic winches---easy). Was also on Snake/Columbia R. Tug/barge units, we's pushing from behind, but without the "articulating" aspect. How do you steer that set-up.?

We'll have to grab a bunch of all of those recommendations. The hauling it in by hand isn't too bad since we never seem to catch anything. Haha.
Steering is similar to a ship, except we have twin engines and huge rudders, whereas a tanker would more likely have a single screw and rudder. It makes us much more maneuverable. The pins lock us firmly into the barge, we roll with the barge but pitch independently.