Pflueger Bond 2004

Started by Mic, February 03, 2021, 06:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Can anyone help me out with a schematic for a Pflueger Bond 2004 ?

Found this in a box of my Dad's old stuff. Looks like it's got some cohos and might be worth putting on a MH 9' rod and drag'em out of a brush or rock pile.

It's spool is about 3/4" wider than a ABU 65.

Side plates are about 3/8" smaller than a Penn 209/210

I'd like to know what's inside as far as the drag stack goes. If Smoothdrag has something I can "reconfigure" and a power handle can be had, this 65 year old reel might find it's way back in the river boat

Thanks for any help you can offer

Mic

Mic

Left side

thorhammer

Looks roughly like a beachmaster. Check the diameter of the sleeve, and the handle configuration hole to see what else might fit. I'd bet it's a 3 stack, and that there is a Penn drag washer pretty close to your reel in ID. You can trim OD easily enough. There are enough aftermarket blades around now in aluminum for Penn's that you can file one out to fit your sleeve probably with ease, then pick your knob. My 0.02, let us know what you do!

John

Mic

Good advice John,
Sounds like a good a place to start as any other.

Found this and it looks almost identical  ?

alantani.com/index.php?topic=30749.0

Brewcrafter

Mic - With the forum changes, the link you posted doesn't seem to want to work for me but I suspect it may be a link from when I did a tutorial in the last year with a Pflueger Bond 2000 which is pretty similar, I'm guessing only maybe a size difference.  I would be happy to help any way I can - I don't think you will find any "off the shelf" drag kits, etc for it but not hard to put something together.  Sweet reels.  Don't hesitate to PM me. - john

Mic

Thanks John,

Yes, I believe it was your 2000 or something like that. Just about exact inside and out.

I'll be in touch when it's more convenient.......for me

Mic

Wompus Cat

Here is a pic from the above tutorial showing the Drag array.
Hope it loads for you.

A note ** I have used old Penn Drag Kits  (HT-100) on these just had to ream the washers a bit .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Mic

Well here I am !

Been snowed in for the last couple of days so I decided to take this old Pflueger apart. Man, my education is getting better for sure.

Let's see If I can make this work

Mic

So,
behind the handle is the star drag and then a bushing that I swear weighs 3-4 oz's it's self. This bushing sat on top of a copper color spring and coper color lock washer. This might get changed to spring washers ?
The main gear is cupped underneath. No flat surface. Put the fiber washer in it and it's back to a level smooth surface. The drag stack fiber washers appear to be felt ? Real soft and one was broken. For a long time I'm thinking.

The main gear sleeve has a screw in it holding it on. No drive pin. The dog is riveted to the bridge plate. The dog spring is that funny little question mark looking spring right there. No, right there. Yeah, that's it

So, other than the gear sleeve being square and the bait click spring being a steel wire and the eccentric being something I ain't never seen before and nothing being exactly like a Penn or exactly like an ABU, I got this! No worries

I'll be calling Smoothdrag in the morning once I get the washers measured. No bearings in the side plates, but these bushings sure look weird. Gonna try and take one out ? Who knows. Tomorrow afternoon, I might have a hell of a box of parts looking for a new home !!!!!

Brewcrafter

You got this.  Those are the same factory style washers I dealt with, and mine did the same thing - it is almost like they are a lubricant impregnated paper they are so fragile.  I wouldn't stress changing the washers/springs on the drag stack - the stockers should be fine.  And a heavy reel....oh yeah. - john

Mic

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 17, 2021, 03:51:22 AM
You got this.  Those are the same factory style washers I dealt with, and mine did the same thing - it is almost like they are a lubricant impregnated paper they are so fragile.  I wouldn't stress changing the washers/springs on the drag stack - the stockers should be fine.  And a heavy reel....oh yeah. - john

Thanks for the pointers John

It's going to be fun bringing this one in to the light.

alantani

Quote from: Mic on February 17, 2021, 02:18:48 AM
Well here I am !

Been snowed in for the last couple of days so I decided to take this old Pflueger apart. Man, my education is getting better for sure.

very nice post!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mic

Quote from: alantani on February 17, 2021, 06:08:45 PM
Quote from: Mic on February 17, 2021, 02:18:48 AM
Well here I am !

very nice post!!!!!

Thank you Kindly Sir !

I certainly am proud of my progress and education afforded to me by you, your Staff and all the Brothers....and a few Sisters here in the Family. Thank you all for helping me

Mic

thorhammer

Nice work, sir! I have a few of the old Pflueger's about, and indeed they feel solid and built.

John

Brewcrafter

The Ohana helped me out on the Zoom call this morning; I am hoping this allows you to see the photo I took of the relevant assembly laid out. - john