Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 23, 2021, 02:23:59 PM
Quote from: Calusa on October 12, 2021, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: nelz on October 12, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

10lb snook on THAT?  :o

Hello nelz,

Yes, from the beach where there are no obstructions or snags and plenty of room to run left, right or into the surf to keep the fish on. In the almost five decades of using ultralight tackle I have learned that fish, even the big boys will sometimes not go on long runs and fight as they would if heavier tackle and more drag pressure were being used. It seems that they will sort of ignore the slight pressure from an ultralight drag, small terminal tackle and light line, and be more apt to being finessed and coaxed. I refer to it as an art, of sorts. Even so, I've been spooled many more times than I can remember when a big one gets a head of steam.

Almost all of my bigger catches on ultralight tackle have been on live bait such as greenbacks or shrimp.
I generally agree with all of the above. Minus the 5 decades part. Not there yet.

Be careful, you can't land a Super Cow in 5 minutes that way, probably don't know what your actual drag is either :)

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: Calusa on October 12, 2021, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: nelz on October 12, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

10lb snook on THAT:o
Yes, from the beach where there are no obstructions or snags and plenty of room to run left, right or into the surf to keep the fish on.

Seems like the Fall has turned on the freshwater Snook in the lake I fish for bass & peacocks. Been using my new Mini-Mite and boy, has it been put to the test! Landed one medium snook and lost a big'un that threw the hook. I had the annoying AR clicker off when the big momma hit, and my knuckes paid the price! But once I got it under control, after a long battle, I was going to land it, when the tiny hook straightened and pulled out.  :'(  The Mini-Mite is awesome!

Here's a pic of the smaller one, it is a species known as a "Fat Snook", one look it's obvious why:

foakes

Nice catch and good report, Nelz —

Nelz is right — those Daiwa Mini-Mites are an awesome little powerhouse.

Made in Japan during the latter part of the Golden Years of spinning reels —

6.3 ounces in an all metal reel with 2 steel drive train bearings — not nylon or sleeved.

Metal skirted spool holds 110 yards of 4 lb. test.

High speed at 1:4.9.

A really strong spring loaded handle for storage and transporting.  The reel fits in my pocket.

Paired with a good quality UL rod — this is a fun combination that will not fail on a large fish.

Bought my first one in 1980.  Have always had one with me ever since.  Great hiking and backpacking reels.

In this line of Daiwa reels — Gold means it has steel ball bearings — silver has nylon sleeves.  The sleeves can be changed out in a silver 500C or 700C to the bearings.  It is a perfect fit, easy DIY job, and a useful upgrade.

I generally keep a few of these Mini-Mites for sale — but always keep one back for myself.

Largest fish I have landed was a 5.5 pound Brown Trout in the Eastern Sierras.  The reel didn't even get excited.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on November 07, 2021, 04:46:17 PM

Largest fish I have landed was a 5.5 pound Brown Trout in the Eastern Sierras.  The reel didn't even get excited.

Best, Fred

Maybe the reel didn't get excited but I bet you did.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Nice. I have a big ol' GS-3, 2 ball bearings, 1-on drive gear, 1-on pinion/rotor, then an oil-lite bushing on the right-side crank axel. I prefer the bushings to ball bearings, due to cost and maintenance considerations, but not a nylon bushing. Heavy reel, surf caster size. Ever hear of any issues with the spring-loaded handle failing?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I didn't know about the silver and gold thing. Guess I have some upgrading to do.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: foakes on November 07, 2021, 04:46:17 PMNice catch and good report, Nelz

Thanks Fred. I can tell you the one that got away was a rocket, and that little reel screamed like crazy!   :o

Quote from: Gfish on November 07, 2021, 05:44:20 PMEver hear of any issues with the spring-loaded handle failing?

Greg, the spring (on my reel anyway) is very strong and has never allowed the handle to come out of place under use. Believe me, when that big one struck (with the anti-reverse off) the handle spun like mad and hit my knuckles very hard, no issues other than pain.  ;D

I have braid loaded on mine and it can handle the extra drag pressure with no sweat.

foakes

This particular spring-loaded handle is very strong and positive.

Other reel manufacturers should do a similar folding crank.

So far, after over 41 years of using and working on these — I have yet to see a handle fail — or even get loose.

I guess what is amazing to me — why would a manufacturer discontinue a reel of this quality?

Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CincyDavid

I have a TINY little Compac Bantam but it's in a tote somewhere and I don't have a pic handy.  It's so small I'm almost afraid to even use it. 

Bill B

I was able to get into the shop today, but it was still 39* in there.  40 minutes of the heater running full blast and we made it to 49*.  So pulled out my smallest quality spinners and came up with a DAM 110, Mitchell 408, and a Spin Mighty. Don't know anything about the Spin Mighty but it sure feels solid.  Needs a good cleaning and service.  It's about 3/4 the size of the Mitchell 408.  When the hand heals the 408 will get a good service and into the lineup it will go.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Bill B on January 28, 2023, 03:12:31 AMI was able to get into the shop today, but it was still 39* in there.  40 minutes of the heater running full blast and we made it to 49*.  So pulled out my smallest quality spinners and came up with a DAM 110, Mitchell 408, and a Spin Mighty. Don't know anything about the Spin Mighty but it sure feels solid.  Needs a good cleaning and service.  It's about 3/4 the size of the Mitchell 408.  When the hand heals the 408 will get a good service and into the lineup it will go.  Bill

Bill, this might help when you tackle the Spin Mitey. Be careful when you get to the bearings. You might end up with loose balls. :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Ahhhhhh!  🫣. Thanks for the link Tommy.  This service could have gone bad in way to many ways... like a ball bearing that way and another dozen another way.  I haven't opened it yet but will definitely be referring to your link.  Looks like a well built reel inside.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!