Smallest spinner???

Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

This is my smallest. I usually fish 2-4lb line for halalu and akule but have caught a few larger papio and nenue. What is your guys smallest and what do you use it for?

oc1

I have one of these Mighty Mite collecting dust but can't find the photo.  This photo was stolen off the internet.  Hope it's not yours.  It will almost hold 100 yards of 15# Power Pre.

philaroman

Spirex 500 -- later version of yours w/ 3 bearings & metal spool...  trying to shove 4th bearing & tiny 6-stack into that spool

Sharkb8

2lds 155yds, 4lb 100yds  I use it for trout and carp fishing.

Kim

Donnyboat

Thanks Kim, I like the small Shakespeare reels, they have nice strong drags for there size, not that you need a lot of drag with light lines, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SteveL

Somewhere I have the old vintage Lew's Speed Spin 1 on a telescopic Lew's rod in the leather "Abercrombie & Fitch" carry case.  Never fish it.

For use it's the sweepfire 1500, although I've been thinking of getting one of those Chinese "Pen" telescopic rods with the mini reel.  More of a novelty, but folks on Youtube seem to think they are a blast catching panfish.

El Pescador

ME??

a Shimano Sahara 500 reel.

2 lbs. / 190 yards,     4 lbs. / 100 yards.

Great for Ice Fishing and any panfish in a small pond.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

I think my smallest(in use) is this Mitchell 310UL. It is a hoot for bass fishing soft plastics...which is probably at the top of it's intended range...but it has never choked. It has a larger aftermarket handle knob and the prerequisite carbon fiber drag disc. I have it spooled with 20lb. braid with a 10lb. mono leader.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Never even heard a that one, Mo. Thought I'd seen all the MG's...

I consider all these to be "lite" for ocean spinning. A Stratic 3000 FJ w/ 30lb. P-pro & 10lb. Fluoro, 265 Microlite w/ 8lb. Mono, and a Shakes. 2062 w/ 12lb.mono.
Used the Shimano day before yesterday for light-small-fish-surf. Works great in this size, had a 8000, but to much rotor flex and the drag knob started leaking.
Used the Shakes. yesterday trying to get bait on a sibiki rig and got schooled by a local guy on fly type, underwater lighting and dawn or sundown only.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 07, 2021, 05:10:57 PM
Never even heard a that one, Mo. Thought I'd seen all the MG's...

You must have been out fishin' when I posted about it G. It's on the B-Grade thread...here's a link.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28278.msg342306#msg342306

My brother uses a 2062 for saltwater pier fishing also...it's a dandy. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

I may have a couple of the Spirex 500's stashed.  Solid little Shimano, but no IAR.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

happyhooker

Got a Shimano like the 1st one pictured, only marked "AXUL-S".

Frank

swede 53

I have 8 of these 500 size reels set up on different ice rods.The smallest are the Ted Williams 421 at 160 yds of 2#mono and a South Bend 600 rated 120 yds of 2#.The rest are around 200 yds of 2#.The Ted Williams is a Daiwa but not sure which one.It doesn't have internal bail trip but has 2 bearings.

philaroman

as I understand, among the boxy little Shimano 500's (not later sleek 500/750)
AXUL is the 1-BB budget version (bearings drop right in);
Spirex is 90's "deluxe" -- 3-BB, 2 metal spools, STUPID HANDLE;
MARK ULS looks like 80's "deluxe" w/ best bones -- 2-BB, solid SiC line roller, better handle (?)

is your handle collar metal?  

is bushing under handle (RD-0795 "Bushing B") nylon or brass/bronze?
does it go into frame/sideplate from outside, like later models?
could you please show handle removed & frame/sideplate openings

thanks

P.S., you should get the metal spool for better heat dissipation -- HUGE deal in that size, IMO

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 07, 2021, 10:28:11 PM
I may have a couple of the Spirex 500's stashed.  Solid little Shimano, but no IAR.

FYI:  I have Spirex 500F & got 500FA w/ snapped foot for spares -- GEARS DON'T MATCH!!!
still worth $15 for all that's compatible, but not the brilliant purchase I thought it was

nelz

I'm actually shopping for a UL spinner. Wanted to get a Shimano FX 1000 FC after watching the video from The Fishing Hobby guy, but it's out of stock everywhere.

As an alternative, I've been considering a Quantum Optix 10, anybody have experience with it?