Smallest spinner???

Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Here's mine, Daiwa SS Tournament 700.  She comes in at 7oz and holds 140yd of 0.20mm (4lb).  You get a lot of reel for $100, super heavy duty, excellent drag, and a worm drive system that lays the line in a crisscross pattern to facilitate longer casts.  My only complaint is that it has a small reel foot and doesn't sit right on some rods.  My solution is to put some heatshrink tubing on either side of the reel foot, then it works just fine.  Mine goes backpacking the UP of Michigan with me in my pursuit of brook trout.

JasonGotaProblem

Daiwa SS700 is pretty great if you're looking for a super small but still quite capable spinner. May not be the smallest but it's the smallest with worm oscillation, and it's a modern reel with a mechanical anti reverse. Casts like you wouldn't believe. I love mine.

Looks like someone else was saying the same thing as i wrote my post.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

El Pescador

Don from western Australia asked if I would post his smaller reels, and yes, Don, I am always more than happy to post photos.

This from Don:

Hi Wayne, I see you posted a shimano reel on the general spinning reels section, started by Wailua boy,  
I have an intrepid regent reel, made by KP Morritts, of England, Pant No768024-798026,
it has a ratio of 2.6 to 1, not sure how much line it holds, the second pic of several small reels around it,
if you wish to post both these pictures,
I can add the details of the other reel,
hope you two are keeping well, & staying covid free,
cheers Don.

Take it away Don!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Once again, thanks Wayne, the intrepid regent, when I opened it, inside the cover plate it had in thick black texture, 66 or 99, I would say 1966, maybe Chris, Titlebasher maybe able to add more on it, It is 4am in the morning, I am sitting here in my undies, we had rain recently, so it is quite cool, so I will comment on the other reels later , thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

my smallest spinner is  the Magnumlite GT-X 2100, wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this little and tiny reel.
it has many features for its small package, as the "quick" trigger, rear drag BUT it has another lever that says "fighting drag", looks like it add micro adjustments on the selected drag by the normal rear drive knob, almost as a leverdrag lever

I dont know if I will ever use it on the saltwater, no rivers, chanels or any other kind of freshwater to fish it

line  4/ 165yds
The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

I've probably got somewhere in the vicinity of 100 or so that have been, at one time or another, considered ultra-lights.

Here's a few:

I don't have any micros so probably the smallest are the Cargem 33 Mignon, Alcedo Micron, Orvis 50A, Dam Quick 1001, Spin Mitey, ABU Garcia Cardinal 52 & Cardinal 152.

But these are my favorites:

I fish Cardinal 3s & C3s, skirted & non-skirted spool models.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Benni3

Wow,,,,,, :o nice set up,,,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Gee Tommy, great collection, a lot of work getting most of them, back to the condition, you have restored them, thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Pulled these out of the bins this morning —

There is (1) sleeper in here which may or may not be considered an ultralight reel.  It is somewhat rare — and goes on every Eastern Sierra Trout trip — when you never know if you might catch a 1 pounder or a 20 pounder.  It will fish 3 times its intended and engineered target range — capably, with no drama.

Load up any of these with 4 lb. test — coupled with a decent quality glass UL rod — and the combo will be unbeatable.

Eastern Sierra opens up last Saturday in April.  http://kenssport.com/

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2021, 06:09:09 PM

There is (1) sleeper in here which may or may not be considered an ultralight reel.  It is somewhat rare — and goes on every Eastern Sierra Trout trip — when you never know if you might catch a 1 pounder or a 20 pounder.  It will fish 3 times its intended and engineered target range — capably, with no drama.

Best, Fred

I'm thinkin' it's the DQ 1202. Nice arsenal, Fred!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

steelfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 09, 2021, 03:49:49 AM
I've probably got somewhere in the vicinity of 100 or so that have been, at one time or another, considered ultra-lights.

Here's a few:

hey Tommy, these 3 reels are pretty unique.

never saw something like that before
The Baja Guy

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 09, 2021, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2021, 06:09:09 PM

Best, Fred

I'm thinkin' it's the DQ 1202. Nice arsenal, Fred!

Yep, you nailed it, Tom —

DAM Quick 1202

12 ounces — aluminum body — high speed 1:5 — fold down bail — spring loaded fold down crank handle — oversized large disc drag brakes — machined phosphor cut bronze main with SS worm/pinion — oversized bearing — left or right handed retrieve — and a graphite Petticoat spool that will not allow line behind the spool — and the spool arbor is fully adjustable for proper line lay.  The feel and balance are perfect for me.

Although I really enjoy the smaller reels also —

There are (3) series of DAM reels with skirted spools — that are by many seasoned anglers and reel mechanics — considered to be the best DAM ever manufactured in Germany before starting Asian production and partnerships.

These consist of (15 reels) — 1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, & the 5001.

The '02 series only had (3) models — the smallest is the 1202, then the 2002, & 3002.

When a 1000/1001 size is a little too light — and the larger reels are not what I want to use — this little powerhouse fills the niche perfectly.

I hope to use each of these reels this year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wailua boy

Quote from: philaroman on February 08, 2021, 01:27:12 AM
as I understand, among the boxy little Shimano 500's (not later sleek 500/750)
AXUL is the 1-BB budget version (bearings drop right in);
Spirex is 90's "deluxe" -- 3-BB, 2 metal spools, STUPID HANDLE;
MARK ULS looks like 80's "deluxe" w/ best bones -- 2-BB, solid SiC line roller, better handle (?)

is your handle collar metal?  

is bushing under handle (RD-0795 "Bushing B") nylon or brass/bronze?
does it go into frame/sideplate from outside, like later models?
could you please show handle removed & frame/sideplate openings

WB{Here is a pic. This reel has become my gf's go to reel because it's so tiny and comfortable and she's usually targets smaller fish and catches and releases everything. I'm thinking she hasn't been rinsing off reel, the occasional time she goes fishing. It's time time to service this bad boy.
thanks}

P.S., you should get the metal spool for better heat dissipation -- HUGE deal in that size, IMO

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 07, 2021, 10:28:11 PM
I may have a couple of the Spirex 500's stashed.  Solid little Shimano, but no IAR.

FYI:  I have Spirex 500F & got 500FA w/ snapped foot for spares -- GEARS DON'T MATCH!!!
still worth $15 for all that's compatible, but not the brilliant purchase I thought it was

DougK

Abercrombie & Fitch 150 Three, holds about 100yds of 6lb. With Parker pen and Shakespeare Tournament 1740, for size comparison..

it's a neat little reel and still works great, except the gears are worn and I can't stand the grinding on retrieve.. so it's become a shelf queen.

Been on the lookout for one of the beautiful DAMs that Fred mentions, 1000, 1001 or 1202, but haven't quite made up my mind to spend the money yet..

Midway Tommy

Quote from: DougK on March 25, 2021, 09:46:29 PM

Abercrombie & Fitch 150 Three, holds about 100yds of 6lb. With Parker pen and Shakespeare Tournament 1740, for size comparison..

it's a neat little reel and still works great, except the gears are worn and I can't stand the grinding on retrieve.. so it's become a shelf queen.

Been on the lookout for one of the beautiful DAMs that Fred mentions, 1000, 1001 or 1202, but haven't quite made up my mind to spend the money yet..

The A&F 150 Three is the exact same reel as the Langley Spinette & Spinlite 850s & the Zebco 850. In fact, Langley & Zebco made that line of spinning reels for A&F. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE