Smallest spinner???

Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Daiwa SS700 is to the best of my knowledge the smallest still in production with worm oscillation and the smallest with a mechanical (non ARB) anti reverse. Though it may not be the absolute smallest spinner no holds barred.

And it's a true pleasure to fish. In fact it may be my current favorite.

With the folding handle its small enough to hide it in gym shorts pockets.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

My favorite GOTO UL spinner is the Shakespeare Sigma 030. I worked in a tackle shop and had the choice between the 030 and the 025. I found the 025 to have too small a spool and too slow a retrieve speed. I did a lot of lure fishing, esp inline spinners for stream trout. That 030 is now 35 years old and still in fine fishable shape.

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 27, 2021, 06:16:58 PM
Daiwa SS700 is to the best of my knowledge the smallest still in production with worm oscillation and the smallest with a mechanical (non ARB) anti reverse. Though it may not be the absolute smallest spinner no holds barred.

And it's a true pleasure to fish. In fact it may be my current favorite.

With the folding handle its small enough to hide it in gym shorts pockets.

ah, and may I ask which brilliant individual guided
(damn-near cajoled) you toward that particular model?

foakes

Quote from: Paul Roberts on September 02, 2021, 11:15:32 PM
My favorite GOTO UL spinner is the Shakespeare Sigma 030. I worked in a tackle shop and had the choice between the 030 and the 025. I found the 025 to have too small a spool and too slow a retrieve speed. I did a lot of lure fishing, esp inline spinners for stream trout. That 030 is now 35 years old and still in fine fishable shape.

Shakes Sigmas are very good reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on September 02, 2021, 11:53:16 PM

ah, and may I ask which brilliant individual guided
(damn-near cajoled) you toward that particular model?
The same individual who needs to get one for themselves to get in on the fun.

But thank you for that. Great family of reels.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

Alcedo Micron.  Did someone already say that?

nelz

How about this Shimano MLZ 10, tiny!. Wonder why you don't hear this one mentioned ever.  ???

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on October 05, 2021, 03:44:38 AM
How about this Shimano MLZ 10, tiny!. Wonder why you don't hear this one mentioned ever.  ???

because 10 is 1000-size...  put it next to a 500 & it won't seem tiny

Calusa

I bought this tiny Japanese reel in 1978 at Woolco Department store in Tampa. It holds an incredibly small amount of #6 mono, maybe 50 yards if that. But this little all-metal reel has landed some really nice mangrove snapper, and several snook in the 10 lb range.

I just did another breakdown, clean and lube on this baby. I keep it in top condition because I really like using it in the right situations, and I have gotten quite a few comments about it from fellow anglers. They stopped making these I believe because I can't find even a used one anywhere.

nelz

It's a mini beast! The spring-loaded anti-reverse is super strong with a reassuring click; locks on the rotor, doesn't stress the gear teeth. Lot's of metal all around, very robust little reel and very tiny.

nelz

Quote from: Calusa on October 11, 2021, 03:20:17 PMI bought this tiny Japanese reel in 1978 at Woolco Department store in Tampa. It holds an incredibly small amount of #6 mono, maybe 50 yards if that. But this little all-metal reel has landed some really nice mangrove snapper, and several snook in the 10 lb range.

I just did another breakdown, clean and lube on this baby. I keep it in top condition because I really like using it in the right situations, and I have gotten quite a few comments about it from fellow anglers. They stopped making these I believe because I can't find even a used one anywhere.

Calusa, what reel are you talking about? Your pictures aren't showing.

Calusa

Quote from: nelz on October 12, 2021, 01:44:33 AM
Quote from: Calusa on October 11, 2021, 03:20:17 PMI bought this tiny Japanese reel in 1978 at Woolco Department store in Tampa. It holds an incredibly small amount of #6 mono, maybe 50 yards if that. But this little all-metal reel has landed some really nice mangrove snapper, and several snook in the 10 lb range.

Calusa, what reel are you talking about? Your pictures aren't showing.

Hello nelz, thanks for the heads up.  I reposted the photos from my Flickr account  - let me know if they're visible now.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Calusa on October 11, 2021, 03:20:17 PM
I bought this tiny Japanese reel in 1978 at Woolco Department store in Tampa. It holds an incredibly small amount of #6 mono, maybe 50 yards if that. But this little all-metal reel has landed some really nice mangrove snapper, and several snook in the 10 lb range.

That's an interesting lil' reel! Would you mind showing us its innards?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Every time another reel is added to this thread I think "That must be the smallest one yet."  But there is little way to compare the sizes in photos.  With Wailua Boy's permission, I propose that everybody measure the rotor diameter and distance from the tip of the drag knob to the rearend (greatest length) and modify their post with real data.  Yes, I think this is an important issue.

nelz

Quote from: Calusa on October 11, 2021, 03:20:17 PMBut this little all-metal reel has landed some really nice mangrove snapper, and several snook in the 10 lb range.

10lb snook on THAT?  :o