alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Smallest spinner???
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 21, 2021, 01:55:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallest spinner???  (Read 5128 times)
Calusa

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2021, 02:53:58 PM »

That's an interesting lil' reel! Would you mind showing us its innards?

Hey Tommy -  here are the photos showing the internals and measurements. The face plate used to have the brand on it (GAME FISH) but it rubbed off after I used a strong degreaser. I found an older photo that shows the face plate with brand, shown in the last photo. I would like to know a little more about the reel but really it was cheap maybe $15 back in '78 and would be difficult to track.

Length extended spool, 3 1/2"

Length retracted spool, 3 1/4"

Cup diameter, 1 1/2"

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:56:58 PM by Calusa » Logged
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2021, 03:03:45 PM »

I would like to know a little more about the reel but really it was cheap maybe $15 back in '78 and would be difficult to track.

Don’t be so sure, Garry —

If anyone can research this reel — it is Tom.

He can track a reel in flight over hard rock 40 years later!

He will have an answer for us soon.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

---------
You can keep knocking on doors that never open — or you can make your own door…and walk through it.

I’m not striving to be the guy with the most parts in the graveyard.
Calusa

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »

10lb snook on THAT?  Shocked

Hello nelz,

Yes, from the beach where there are no obstructions or snags and plenty of room to run left, right or into the surf to keep the fish on. In the almost five decades of using ultralight tackle I have learned that fish, even the big boys will sometimes not go on long runs and fight as they would if heavier tackle and more drag pressure were being used. It seems that they will sort of ignore the slight pressure from an ultralight drag, small terminal tackle and light line, and be more apt to being finessed and coaxed. I refer to it as an art, of sorts. Even so, I've been spooled many more times than I can remember when a big one gets a head of steam.

Almost all of my bigger catches on ultralight tackle have been on live bait such as greenbacks or shrimp.
nelz
Photo Group

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »

Wow, and I had to switch to heavier hooks when snookin' from the pier 'cause they were straightening out the regular ones.

So what does the drag look like on that reel?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:58:36 PM by nelz » Logged
JasonGotaPenn
Will Trade Hot Sauce for Reel Parts

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »

Every time another reel is added to this thread I think "That must be the smallest one yet."  But there is little way to compare the sizes in photos.  With Wailua Boy's permission, I propose that everybody measure the rotor diameter and distance from the tip of the drag knob to the rearend (greatest length) and modify their post with real data.  Yes, I think this is an important issue.

All this from a guy who doesn't seem to even like spinners?

Jokes aside, youre right. It may be worthwhile to quantify this discussion.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: