Smallest spinner???

Started by wailua boy, February 07, 2021, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calusa

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 12, 2021, 04:49:52 AM
That's an interesting lil' reel! Would you mind showing us its innards?

Hey Tommy -  here are the photos showing the internals and measurements. The face plate used to have the brand on it (GAME FISH) but it rubbed off after I used a strong degreaser. I found an older photo that shows the face plate with brand, shown in the last photo. I would like to know a little more about the reel but really it was cheap maybe $15 back in '78 and would be difficult to track.

Length extended spool, 3 1/2"

Length retracted spool, 3 1/4"

Cup diameter, 1 1/2"

foakes

I would like to know a little more about the reel but really it was cheap maybe $15 back in '78 and would be difficult to track.

Don't be so sure, Garry —

If anyone can research this reel — it is Tom.

He can track a reel in flight over hard rock 40 years later!

He will have an answer for us soon.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Calusa

Quote from: nelz on October 12, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

10lb snook on THAT?  :o

Hello nelz,

Yes, from the beach where there are no obstructions or snags and plenty of room to run left, right or into the surf to keep the fish on. In the almost five decades of using ultralight tackle I have learned that fish, even the big boys will sometimes not go on long runs and fight as they would if heavier tackle and more drag pressure were being used. It seems that they will sort of ignore the slight pressure from an ultralight drag, small terminal tackle and light line, and be more apt to being finessed and coaxed. I refer to it as an art, of sorts. Even so, I've been spooled many more times than I can remember when a big one gets a head of steam.

Almost all of my bigger catches on ultralight tackle have been on live bait such as greenbacks or shrimp.

nelz

Wow, and I had to switch to heavier hooks when snookin' from the pier 'cause they were straightening out the regular ones.

So what does the drag look like on that reel?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on October 12, 2021, 05:18:11 AM
Every time another reel is added to this thread I think "That must be the smallest one yet."  But there is little way to compare the sizes in photos.  With Wailua Boy's permission, I propose that everybody measure the rotor diameter and distance from the tip of the drag knob to the rearend (greatest length) and modify their post with real data.  Yes, I think this is an important issue.

All this from a guy who doesn't seem to even like spinners?

Jokes aside, youre right. It may be worthwhile to quantify this discussion.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Calusa

Hey Tommy, have you been able to research the origin of my reel?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Calusa on October 12, 2021, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: nelz on October 12, 2021, 06:37:25 AM

10lb snook on THAT?  :o

Hello nelz,

Yes, from the beach where there are no obstructions or snags and plenty of room to run left, right or into the surf to keep the fish on. In the almost five decades of using ultralight tackle I have learned that fish, even the big boys will sometimes not go on long runs and fight as they would if heavier tackle and more drag pressure were being used. It seems that they will sort of ignore the slight pressure from an ultralight drag, small terminal tackle and light line, and be more apt to being finessed and coaxed. I refer to it as an art, of sorts. Even so, I've been spooled many more times than I can remember when a big one gets a head of steam.

Almost all of my bigger catches on ultralight tackle have been on live bait such as greenbacks or shrimp.
I generally agree with all of the above. Minus the 5 decades part. Not there yet.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

Quote from: nelz on February 08, 2021, 05:17:07 AMI'm actually shopping for a UL spinner. Wanted to get a Shimano FX 1000 FC after watching the video from The Fishing Hobby guy, but it's out of stock everywhere.

Well, y'all got me hooked on trying out a tiny spinner. I finally found a Shimano FX1000FC, but ended up returning it, just didn't feel "right". So this week I finally found a good deal on a Mini-Mite that I'd been admiring for a while strictly on reputation, but had never actually held a real one.

It was in serious need of a make-over and tune-up, but now it shines like a new penny. Wow, what a solid little beauty. This Mini-Mite feels very right, it's a keeper!

philaroman

you'll prob. enjoy the simple, robust Silver Series as well
I believe 700c is same size & 500c is even smaller

nelz

Quote from: philaroman on October 24, 2021, 02:26:51 AMyou'll prob. enjoy the simple, robust Silver Series as well I believe 700c is same size & 500c is even smaller

Thanks but this is as tiny as I care to go!  ;D

oc1

I couldn't get a hundred yards of 15# braid on a 500c.  I think it was about 90 yards; but it's been a while.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Calusa on October 23, 2021, 02:02:34 PM

Hey Tommy, have you been able to research the origin of my reel?

Turned over every rock I could looking for info on the S-330. There's not much out on it other than it was made in the late '60s and into the early/mid '70s. There are a couple of things about the reel that suggest it was most likely made by Daiwa.

In their early years Daiwa made reels for a number of various companies. Almost all of those reels had "Made In Japan" on the bottom of the foot. Many of the Daiwa labeled reels either had nothing on the bottom of the foot or just "Japan". Another clue is the raised "Ball Bearing" lettering on the body. Daiwa was one of the first Japanese reel makers that molded that into the body. Later it would be on sticker/labels, but at that time it was part of body.

There were a lot of changes happening in the Japanese reel manufacturing business during that time frame. Olympic was having financial problems about that time and eventually went bankrupt in '78. Their tooling & machinery was sold to many other Japanese companies. Turning up history on the Japanese reel makers is difficult, at best. They guard that information pretty tightly.       
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Calusa

Thanks a lot for looking Tommy!

Yeah that BALL BEARING molded into the body - I once had a fishing buddy look at the reel and he replied that they sure must be proud of the bearing. Lol

Donnyboat

Tommy, I have an early Diawa 900 overhead reel, not a 900H, earlier than that, it said Diawa Seiko, maybe some of the early spinners, were made by the same company, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Donnyboat on October 25, 2021, 05:06:37 PM
Tommy, I have an early Diawa 900 overhead reel, not a 900H, earlier than that, it said Diawa Seiko, maybe some of the early spinners, were made by the same company, cheers Don.

What's its circa? Maybe you could post some photos of it and the label/writing so we can try to figure out how it might fit in. I would imagine Daiwa probably bought some of Olympic's equipment. Ueno Seiko was a big portion of Olympic's roots.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)