Reel is a japanese Olympic Dohzuki 500DG DS-3 Line Counter

Started by williewiskers, February 08, 2021, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I got an email into Smoothdrag for what they have, but ill ask here too.

Looking for options for CF. Its current stack is a series of greased BRASS washers (no fiber in between of any kind).

The CF I'm looking for has an ID of 10mm and an OD of 20mm.

The question is what OTHER reels (Penn?) might share this size washer because I need to find some STAINLESS eared and keyed metals to replace the brass or maybe theres a stack from Mystic that would drop in - but mystic doesn't list washers by dimension.

Thank you!

oldmanjoe

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4507.0
  There is a list of sizes there ,  maybe # 9 - 10 or 11 will work .
  I have yet to fine a good source for ss washes already listed by sizes and styles "key, ear, tongue .
  Perhaps a picture of the washers with sizes written under them will help you find them , somebody may recognize the washer from another brand reel .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

williewiskers

I checked that list on smoothdrag's site, but I know if you email them they have sizes available that aren't listed on there. Dawn got back to me and said she had a 113 (4/0) CF washer in 0.5mm. I have a Penn HT-100 one here and it measures 10.3mm x 20.3mm and she says she has them, but they aren't on the list. This happened once before with an okuma. Maybe they're just cutting them to size?

handi2

If all else doesn't come through I can punch them in that size in any thickness.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

williewiskers

Thank you Keith. Dawn indicated she has something that should work, but im waiting on details in a follow-up today. Both the size of the washer and the reel that they go in aren't on the lists on smoothdrag's site, but im grateful if I can get them from anywhere. I don't have the punches or jigs to make drag washers at all, let alone to center them perfectly. I'm going to also order some Metals from a 113 (4/0) and file down the OD edges as necessary to make them fit.

That's at least my plan for now. I will definitely take you up on your offer if any of this falls through.

Thank you!
The Wiskers

williewiskers

I received 4 beautiful custom punched 10mm x 20mm x 1mm CF drag disks from Keith (handi2) yesterday in the mail and thanked him VERY much! He was unable to identify any Abu or Penn keyed or eared washers that would be a direct fit for this Dohzuki reel.

My research indicates that the keyed metals from a Penn 113 (4/0) would be 0.2mm larger on the radial ID and 0.5mm wider on the flat ID and both keyed and eared would 0.2mm larger on the OD. If I hand filed each of the stainless washers down to fit inside the main gear would the space in the ID of the metals cause damage to the gear sleeve?

Second question, how bad is it to use the original brass washers that are the right size with the CF drag disks?

TYIA

thorhammer

I'd use the brass ones as they will tightly to the sleeve- you are sure to wear something if the ID of the keys is loose, especially if the sleeve is brass and you use SS keyed washers (think about how a handle can round the other end of the sleeve). You're gonna grease the carbontex anyway, so I wouldn't worry about corrosion on the brass washers. Actually, lap them on a piece of 1000 / 1500 sandpaper, and they will be smooth as butta with the new drag fiber washers and Cal's grease. My 0.02.

John

oldmanjoe

You should not have a problem with brass washers .    Believe it or not a lot of drag washers are brass with chrome plating .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

As Joe states.....a bizillion fish, and very large ones, caught by Penn's alone, with brass washers- prior to carbon drags.

It also occurred that you might have issues replacing the sleeve part (availability) if it gets damaged.

williewiskers

Thanks everyone, Ill install the greased CF with the brass washers. What Thorhammer said is true - there are no replacement parts for this reel.

The original drag stack was literally a full stack of greased brass washers - NO drag material between them. By "lapping" you mean rubbing them against one another with sandpaper in-between?

thorhammer

lay the paper (I use wet dry sand paper) on a flat surface- piece of glass if you have one- and rub both sides of the washer on it until shiny and smooth. You may need to thin them some in any case if the carbontex adds too much height to the stack where it rubs in the gear well, or adjust with wavy washer or spacer height.

philaroman

my half-informed brain says:
lapping compound is for smoothness beyond 2000-grit paper, and jewelers rouge is beyond that
please correct me if I'm wrong

SteveL

I usually start with 800 grit wet/dry only if the washer isn't quite flat (high spots).   Then 1000 grit and 1500 grit wet/dry.   I finish with 3M Trizact 3000 and 5000, and it doesn't take much with the trizact to give it a nice shine.   I never try to go to finer grits with paste or jewelers rouge.

Trizact is kind of pricey (about 8 bucks a 3x6 sheet) but it lasts longer than wet/dry.

SteveL

Quote from: williewiskers on February 08, 2021, 09:08:55 PM
I got an email into Smoothdrag for what they have, but ill ask here too.

Looking for options for CF. Its current stack is a series of greased BRASS washers (no fiber in between of any kind).

The CF I'm looking for has an ID of 10mm and an OD of 20mm.

The question is what OTHER reels (Penn?) might share this size washer because I need to find some STAINLESS eared and keyed metals to replace the brass or maybe theres a stack from Mystic that would drop in - but mystic doesn't list washers by dimension.

Thank you!
I think you already decided to stick with the brass washers, but  I just happened to find the notes I took when I had a Kastking Spartacus open:

CF Drag washer: 10 x 20 x 1.0
Slotted Washer: 25.8 x Slot(6.6 x 8.07)
Eared Washer: 25.9 x 13.11 (Ears 28.53)

oldmanjoe

;D I flatten washers with 320 , Any and all additional lapping / polishing is done by the fishes !!!