Reel is a japanese Olympic Dohzuki 500DG DS-3 Line Counter

Started by williewiskers, February 08, 2021, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

Quote from: SteveL on March 02, 2021, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: williewiskers on February 08, 2021, 09:08:55 PM
I got an email into Smoothdrag for what they have, but ill ask here too.

Looking for options for CF. Its current stack is a series of greased BRASS washers (no fiber in between of any kind).

The CF I'm looking for has an ID of 10mm and an OD of 20mm.

The question is what OTHER reels (Penn?) might share this size washer because I need to find some STAINLESS eared and keyed metals to replace the brass or maybe theres a stack from Mystic that would drop in - but mystic doesn't list washers by dimension.

Thank you!
I think you already decided to stick with the brass washers, but  I just happened to find the notes I took when I had a Kastking Spartacus open:

CF Drag washer: 10 x 20 x 1.0
Slotted Washer: 25.8 x Slot(6.6 x 8.07)
Eared Washer: 25.9 x 13.11 (Ears 28.53)

Is it not weird that the metals are so much larger than the CF washers?

williewiskers

I finally got to fully servicing this reel and fitting in the new drags graciously hand punched by Keith (handi2). It took me a solid night after putting the kids to bed to clean all the old cosmoline grease out from everywhere, clean and Reel-X the bearings, Cal's grease everything and reassemble. I was able to use the original brass metal drag washers and (4) of Keith's 1mm CF drag washers with no modifications to anything else. The new stack no longer fit entirely inside the main gear, but this appears to affect nothing!

Nothing complicated about this upgrade other than all the extra moving parts for the double eccentric, leveline bar actuator cam and idler gear train for the leveline. I decide against adding any lubrication to the line counter mechanism as it was plastic and bone dry. I only lubed the mechanism for the push-to-reset button with some Reel-X as there was some scratch marks on the plastic from a lifetime of the button being pushed.

The upgraded drag stack went in like this

CF - Eared - CF - Keyed - CF - Eared - CF - Keyed - Spring washer - Flat washer - Open side of roller bearing

The last eared washer sits flush with the top of the main gear and the last CF and Keyed washer stack outside the gear on the sleeve.

Thanks to everyone whom helped with this! This is going to be my goto day charter boat reel as it has a tall spool, fast line retrieve, spool line counter, double eccentrics AND a leveline bar!

The Wiskers

williewiskers

For anyone else, as well as myself, below is the line capacity, gear ratio and weight of the Olympic Dohzuki DS-3. I'm putting it here because it very hard info to come by and I already lost it once.

Gear ratio 3.29 : 1
Line Capacity 435yds of 25lb. test mono line (important for proper operation of the line counter or approximating calibration capacities for other line diameters)
Weight 30.4oz.

The full circumference of the maximum-laided radius on the spool is approximately 10in. (measured with a cloth tape). Some simple math gives us a line retrieve of 2.75' per handle rotation at a very full spool, empirically. HOWEVER the line counter increments EXACTLY 2 UNITS PER HANDLE ROTATION. This means 3 things; (1) full design capacity is visibly less than a "full spool"; (2) Line height on the spool is very relevant to accuracy of the line counter and you are going to have to calibrate your capacity to match the line counter if you want it to be accurate off the top; (3) the line counter counts in FEET

The Wiskers

williewiskers

Final (?) follow-up with respect to line capacity and accuracy of the integrated line counter.

Shown in the picture below is the capacity that makes the counter accurate to within 1' at 100' line out - it is exactly 25% less than the physical max capacity of the spool. I confirmed my original hypothesis by filing the spool completely using both the built in counter and my clamp on one. At completely full spool the clamp-on measured 100' and the built in only 975' (counter counts down in that direction). The counter is LITERALLY calibrated for the spool filled to 75% max capacity! WHY?! Whatever, it's more than enough for its purpose. I lost 808' of random 100# braid on the bottom.

I ended up with 415yds total to get the counter accurate, here is the breakdown.

• 3yd 20# (0.45mm dia) on the bottom

• 269yds leftover .50mm PE braid (labeled 100# test)

• 143yds 25# (0.48mm dia) mono on top

The reel was advertised as being accurate at "435yds of 25# mono". I assumed a standard mono diameter of 0.48mm was inferred. Calculating the error caused by 62% of the spool being braid that was 4% larger than specified (0.50mm vs 0.48mm) means my adjusted "25# mono only" capacity I ended with would be 423yds.

The calibration was within 12yds of the box specification or 97% accurate. Pretty damn good IMO and well within the permissible standard deviation of the accuracy of the tools being used to make the measurements. I am sure I could have added those 12yds with no ill effect, but I didnt do all this math until after I had calibrated the counter and cut the line. Maybe Ill put a leader on it, lol

Sidenote: the line feeds UNDER the leveline bar, not over it like on a Penn 350m.

The Wiskers

Porthos

Have you considered going with metered braid as a visual "backup" to the line counter?

Depending on the wear over the years with the line counter's gears, deviations can inherently be introduced and affect what line is being counted, although a delta of 3% sounds it has held up well.

williewiskers

The delta of 3% is due to me not caring to play with adding / removing line any longer (its super annoying). The adjustment for any sort of wear would be the same as adjustment for calibration - removing or adding line to change the diameter of the filled spool. Height of line on the spool is the only factor in accuracy of a line counter which is tied to the rotation of the spool itself. The problem with braid is some charter boats dont allow it. I do have some braid on the bottom to fill the spool (and give me some space if I accidentally hook something that runs). But this is a yoyo setup - it goes up and down. The rod its on is a stiff vintage Conolon boat rod, thus he mono is appropriate. Also the reel isnt nearly as "buff" as my 49L, so it cant be pushed to the level that would necessitate braid. This is definitely one of those, "use it as its intended", reels.

As far as the 3% goes, I went 97% of the way to the fishes door so the least he can do is open his mouth and fip a fin once or twice to close the gap!

Tiddlerbasher

Your drag order is wrong - the first cf washer is doing nothing.
Try CF - keyed - cf - eared - cf - keyed - cf - eared (if the final eared washer is above the stack try bending the ears down to engage with the slots - or just keep the last cf and eared washers for spares ;). Just wondering why you didn't use 25mm (or 25.8mm) od cf washers - that would be closer to the od of the metal washers?

williewiskers

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 20, 2021, 09:52:49 AM
Your drag order is wrong - the first cf washer is doing nothing.
Try CF - keyed - cf - eared - cf - keyed - cf - eared (if the final eared washer is above the stack try bending the ears down to engage with the slots - or just keep the last cf and eared washers for spares ;). Just wondering why you didn't use 25mm (or 25.8mm) od cf washers - that would be closer to the od of the metal washers?

Tiddlerbasher,

I realized that the order of the drag washers was opposite of what is customary when I did it. I didnt realize that negated the first drag washer, but now I see it does. However there is still no other way to do it and I loose nothing. I needed the order the way it was for the last eared washer to land flush with the top of the gear - allowing a 4th CF layer to fit on top with a keyed washer. It was necessary to get all 4 in there (with an extra metal on top) in order to take up excess slack in the sleeve heading toward the handle

There are still 3 functioning CF drag washers, even though the bottom one does nothing. Consider it a spacer.

The Wiskers