Stupid rookie mistake - slider screw (to attach main shaft) stuck

Started by jplee3, February 08, 2021, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplee3

Hey all,

I started tearing down a Quantum Reliance PT 30 and managed to get the screw that connects the slider and main shaft stuck between the slider component and the drive gear. There is no reverse on the reel so I was unscrewing the screw from a hole in the drive gear and then the rotor moved slightly and that was it - the screw is lodged in there good now. Removing the rotor is impossible because the main shaft has to be removed first.

Am I pretty much SOL at this point? It seems really lodged in there and I don't know what else to do off the top of my head as far as loosening the drive gear up to free the screw.

I found a schematic of the size 55 online so I think it's roughly similar:
https://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--cg6gz860--/zs0enrtpraxk5mgdzbbq.pdf

EDIT: I sent a message to Quantum Customer service to see what the options are. I hope this mistake doesn't get any costlier :(

foakes

If you reattach the handle — you might get enough movement to extract he screw by prying through the gear hole with a screwdriver.

Offset pair of needle nose jewelers pliers may also help to get a purchase on the screw without damaging the gear or oscillation slider block.

Sometimes, a focused charge of high explosives will work to take care of the issue.

Let us know what Quantum advises — and how you do with this.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

This may or may not work ,but i would try to shoot the one way bearing with oil .     Make it slip the grip ...and push down on the shaft to reach the screw again .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jplee3

Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2021, 01:06:53 AM
If you reattach the handle — you might get enough movement to extract he screw by prying through the gear hole with a screwdriver.

Offset pair of needle nose jewelers pliers may also help to get a purchase on the screw without damaging the gear or oscillation slider block.

Sometimes, a focused charge of high explosives will work to take care of the issue.

Let us know what Quantum advises — and how you do with this.

Best,

Fred

Thanks - I tried attaching the handle but the drive gear is stuck pretty solid with that screw wedged in between :(

I actually tried taking a jeweler's screwdriver and hammer and tapping at it but I don't think it's going anywhere. The screw is probably partially threaded into it's hole while the top of the screw is wedged in between the gear teeth most likely. It's a death trap. I have a feeling it's completely DOA but I guess the only way I'm going to find out is by sending it back to Quantum. I just hope that there's some benefit to the fact that it's still under warranty...

LOL on the explosives - if money weren't an issue, I'd put this together with my two messed up Daiwa reels and blow them all up hahahaha.

Will keep you posted on what Quantum says.

jplee3

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 09, 2021, 01:42:29 AM
 This may or may not work ,but i would try to shoot the one way bearing with oil .     Make it slip the grip ...and push down on the shaft to reach the screw again .

I think the AR clutch is stopping it from reversing no? With the rotor on tight coupled with this being sealed in so many places, I don't know how far I'll get. I can try Corrosion X - would that be good or should I try some other oil?

Wompus Cat

MAYBE
Put in the Freezer over night let the Grease/ Oil in the  a/  r bearing solidify and then Gently move the shaft back and forth to see if you can line things up .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jplee3

Quote from: Wompus Cat on February 09, 2021, 02:05:00 AM
MAYBE
Put in the Freezer over night let the Grease/ Oil in the  a/  r bearing solidify and then Gently move the shaft back and forth to see if you can line things up .

Oh wow... guess it wouldn't hurt to try haha

jplee3

Quote from: Wompus Cat on February 09, 2021, 02:05:00 AM
MAYBE

Yea, this didn't work - the main shaft is still stuck solid with that screw lodged in.

handi2

Just take the other side bearing cap off and tap the main gear outwards so you can move the crosswind gear with a little screwdriver or scratch awl.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jplee3

Quote from: handi2 on February 09, 2021, 03:28:28 PM
Just take the other side bearing cap off and tap the main gear outwards so you can move the crosswind gear with a little screwdriver or scratch awl.

I'll give it a shot. Would likely end up needing a new drive gear, among other things, since it would probably ruin the teeth - I think part of the drive gear is trapped behind/under the main shaft bar

jplee3

Quick update but the hammering trick sort of worked - I noticed there was more clearance between the drive gear and slider after I tapped it. Ultimately, I grabbed a screwdriver bit that was long enough and inserted it into the shaft from the other side and pounded the bit against the floor so it would push the drive gear outward and that's what did it.

Now, I'm not sure but I possibly may have damaged/flattened some of the teeth on the drive gear.

EDIT: just reassembled the reel and definitely the teeth were damaged - you can feel the rough spots while turning the handle. Ughhh... I might just send this back into Quantum to warranty. The drive gear I think is the problem. Possibly the pinion too. They'll prob have to end up doing an overhaul on the thing at this point. smh

BTW: there is no other way to remove the screw attaching the slider and main shaft from my observations. You have to align the proper hole over the screw and very carefully remove the screw while holding the spool down very securely (perhaps tape would help) so as to prevent it from rotating. Otherwise you will do more damage. It's a very tight tolerance and seems like a poor design choice. Oh, the other thing I messed up was a retaining o-ring that sits between the rotor and the washer and bearing that's above the AR clutch. I'm assuming this seal is there to help repel water if it gets into the main shaft. The o-ring is super thin and tiny, so when I pushed the rotor on it basically tore it. The o-ring must have been sitting too high and I needed to lower it. I thought there was an etched channel for it to sit but I couldn't locate it while reinstalling it.

Either way, I may have to send this in for repair unless Quantum can send out the parts. Of course, I think I'd feel more comfortable having them just service and fix it under warranty to ensure that I don't make any other idiot mistakes :(

handi2

I've never seen a common spinning reel like that where the oscillation slider didn't go far enough down so you can get to the screw. That's new to me. I've always liked the Quantum reels. I get parts from www.tackleservice.com.

Keith

I bet they will cover the repairs needed.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jplee3

Quote from: handi2 on February 09, 2021, 07:12:23 PM
I've never seen a common spinning reel like that where the oscillation slider didn't go far enough down so you can get to the screw. That's new to me. I've always liked the Quantum reels. I get parts from www.tackleservice.com.

Keith

I bet they will cover the repairs needed.

Yea it's kind of a head-scratcher. I suppose if you have a thin enough screw-driver you can clear it but you'll still be unscrewing it at an angle which doesn't seem like a great idea. I tried with a thinner neck screwdriver and didn't want to push it at the risk of stripping the screw.

I heard back from Quantum and it sounds like they want me just to ship the reel back (less the spool) and they'll send a new one out (not sure if they send an entirely new reel out or a reel w/o spool but if the former that would be sweet!)