Rinsing my new Avet or dunking it? I'm a little confused.

Started by Breadfan, February 09, 2021, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

Quote from: Breadfan on February 11, 2021, 11:57:07 AM

But, back to one of my questions. What about the bearings? Water cannot be good for them, and how could it all possibly drain out of the bearing races?

Freshwater is the best solvent for salt.  Freshwater does not damage 440c stainless that is used for reel bearings.  But saltwater does. Same goes for anodized aluminum.

Grease in the bearings also protects from water intrusion.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

oc1

But, back to one of my questions. What about the bearings? Water cannot be good for them, and how could it all possibly drain out of the bearing races?
I've noticed that when a reel is accidentally dunked in seawater the casting bearings work better for a while.  Maybe water can be a lubricant too.  But the spinning bearing can whip a little water and a little oil into an emulsion.  For whatever reason, the mayonnaise-like emulsion slows the bearing down a lot.

jurelometer

I repeat:  Salt is the enemy, not water. Stick a stainless spoon in a glass off freshwater for a week or two.  You won't see any corrosion.

440c stainless has about the same  level of freshwater corrosion resistance as the 18-8 stainless that is used for silverware.  But 440c has much less saltwater corrosion resistance.  If saltwater got into the bearing (or anywhere else), it will leave a residue of salt.  Soaking (not just a quick dunk) in warm fresh water will help to dissolve and dilute the salt.  If the majority of the soaking water is removed (not evaporated) there will be less salt left.  A bit of freshwater residue will not hurt the stainless and will eventually evaporate.

BTW: Grease between the bearing and aluminum housing is especially useful.  Replacing a bad bearing is not a big deal, as long as the bearing is not corroded into the side plate.   Tight crevices are the hardest to desalt, even with soaking.

-J

Bill B

FWIW-  After a salt water trip all my rods and reels go into the shower with me....then regular maintenance after that.  I usually have to remove them before the wife sees them, but they get a good soaking with soap and hot water......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jurelometer

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 11, 2021, 10:42:56 PM
FWIW-  After a salt water trip all my rods and reels go into the shower with me....then regular maintenance after that.  I usually have to remove them before the wife sees them, but they get a good soaking with soap and hot water......Bill

I am personally not a big fan of using soap.

Soap will degrade the grease and oils, and does not help dissolve salt.  Fresh water is all you need.  If the water is warm, all the water molecules zip around faster increasing the chance of wandering into a salt molecule, so warmer water is more efficient than cold water.

If you need some soap to clean all the fish blood and slime off your reel, it is best to avoid getting any on the inside.

-J

Bill B

Quote from: alantani on February 11, 2021, 10:49:59 PM
there's always the dishwasher.......   ;D

I won't go there...I think we all know how that turns out....🤣🤣🤣
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

Boss - Please don't wash the good beer, wine, or scotch glasses in the dishwasher!  Reels....well...surfactants may be a good thing for them but dishwashers are pretty much...evil?

Breadfan

Quote from: day0ne on February 11, 2021, 07:47:08 PM

Freshwater is the best solvent for salt.  Freshwater does not damage 440c stainless that is used for reel bearings.  But saltwater does. Same goes for anodized aluminum.

i think my real question was what the effect the freshwater had on the thin oil I use for the bearings. My bearings are ceramic, I'm not worried about corrosion, I'm worried about performance. I think I should keep my reels clean and just re-oil the spool bearings after each trip, if I dunk them, just for peace of mind.

alantani

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 12, 2021, 05:51:15 AM
Boss - Please don't wash the good beer, wine, or scotch glasses in the dishwasher!  Reels....well...surfactants may be a good thing for them but dishwashers are pretty much...evil?

the only expensive glasses i have are the glencarin canadian whiskey glasses.  yes, those are always hand washed!!!!!   ;D

jurelometer

Quote from: Breadfan on February 12, 2021, 01:09:54 PM
Quote from: day0ne on February 11, 2021, 07:47:08 PM

i think my real question was what the effect the freshwater had on the thin oil I use for the bearings. My bearings are ceramic, I'm not worried about corrosion, I'm worried about performance. I think I should keep my reels clean and just re-oil the spool bearings after each trip, if I dunk them, just for peace of mind.

Aren"t  full ceramics bearings supposed to be run dry for maximum performance?  Or are you lubricating to extend bearing life?

If you are using a thin film lubricant like TSI 301 or 321, it has already bonded to the bearing surfaces .  Part of the purpose of these products is to repel water.

https://tsi301.com/issynthetic.htm

If you are using a different oil that is not recommended for use  in wet environments, it is not a good choice to begin with.  And a decent bearing oil has to make a fairly strong bond with the bearing surfaces, otherwise  centrifugal forces are going to fling it all off during casting.

If you are using an oil and not a thin film lubricant,  a strong jet of water might displace it.

I need to relubricate oil lubed casting bearings much more frequently than my annual maintanence.  I haven't noticed a change in the frequency of relubing since I switched to soaking.  I just use TSI after I run out of whatever came with the reel, so I am not familiar with all the oils.

-J

Dominick

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 12, 2021, 05:51:15 AM

Why???   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

not sure, but i'll follow the brewmeister's instructions!!!!

oldmanjoe

;D  Don`t you guy`s watch tv  ...    The bar tender wipes the glass clean with his apron NO washing .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare