Anyone thinking about doing a trip after Christmas?

Started by pjstevko, December 20, 2020, 07:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I was just wondering who else was having an itch to go fishing before rockfish season ends???????? Might be a good way to end the year....

Pj

David Hall

I am. 
Waiting for the seas to settle and a new Garboard drain plug to arrive, supposed to be here tomorrow.
Installing a new GPS antenna, doing that today.  a few weeks ago my AIS decided to drop off the N2k can bus, left me out of HMB with no position data.  I got it fixed, turns out it was a software update I had not installed but it opened my eyes to the need for redundent data sources.  I tested a new antenna yesterday and my MFD defaulted right to it and AIS is still functional as well. 
After I get these minor issues solved, Im planning to tow down to Monterey and head south off Big Sur for a last ditch 2020 Rock fishing trip.

pjstevko

Dave it sounds like you got a lot going on.....Best to get things right and put it all to the test before the season closes so you know you're good to go on opening day!

It looks like Morro Bay Landing has openings the whole week after Christmas......hum hum

sabaman1

JIM

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: pjstevko on December 20, 2020, 09:27:52 PM
Dave it sounds like you got a lot going on.....Best to get things right and put it all to the test before the season closes so you know you're good to go on opening day!

It looks like Morro Bay Landing has openings the whole week after Christmas......hum hum

I don't really have an end of the season, and my schedule calls for a year end rock fish trip.  Weather permitting I'll keep my schedule.  After Jan 1, major PMs are up next.  Pulling the stern drive, removing, cleaning and inspecting the gimbal and transom assembly, refitting as needed.  Removing the jackshaft, cleaning refitting greasing balancing and painting.  It never ends.

pjstevko

Quote from: alantani on December 21, 2020, 02:08:39 AM
i'm on lockdown, on orders from the wife....   :-\
Well that stinks....
[/quote]

I don't really have an end of the season, and my schedule calls for a year end rock fish trip.  Weather permitting I'll keep my schedule.  After Jan 1, major PMs are up next.  Pulling the stern drive, removing, cleaning and inspecting the gimbal and transom assembly, refitting as needed.  Removing the jackshaft, cleaning refitting greasing balancing and painting.  It never ends.
[/quote]
That's a ton of work! Hope it goes smoothly

jurelometer

Quote from: pjstevko on December 21, 2020, 04:58:40 AM
Quote from: alantani on December 21, 2020, 02:08:39 AM
i'm on lockdown, on orders from the wife....   :-\
Well that stinks....
Wise spouse.

Right after Christmas could very well end up being the most statistically dangerous time to hang with strangers in terms of spreading the virus  Another month or two will get us over the hump if folks quit completely screwing up and the vaccines keep rolling out.

Just gonna chill a bit longer.  Plan on making up for it with an insane amount of fishing in the second half of 2021.   Figure it could be a lot tougher.  I could be an essential worker at a hospital.  I hear that they are not very happy with the general population right now.

-J

jurelometer

Quote from: David Hall on December 20, 2020, 09:18:41 PM
I am. 
Waiting for the seas to settle and a new Garboard drain plug to arrive, supposed to be here tomorrow.
Installing a new GPS antenna, doing that today.  a few weeks ago my AIS decided to drop off the N2k can bus, left me out of HMB with no position data.  I got it fixed, turns out it was a software update I had not installed but it opened my eyes to the need for redundent data sources.  I tested a new antenna yesterday and my MFD defaulted right to it and AIS is still functional as well. 
After I get these minor issues solved, Im planning to tow down to Monterey and head south off Big Sur for a last ditch 2020 Rock fishing trip.

Sorry to veer off topic but...

What are your thoughts on loading Navionics on a cell phone as a very last resort  GPS?  While limited, it runs entirely independently of the boats electronics and electrical system.

The small screen can fool you into thinking you are much closer to a waypoint than you really are, but otherwise, I have found it to be accurate enough for soothing my nerves on third world panga trips with no onboard electronics.

-J

David Hall

Quote from: jurelometer on December 21, 2020, 06:57:39 AM
Quote from: David Hall on December 20, 2020, 09:18:41 PM
I am. 

Sorry to veer off topic but...

What are your thoughts on loading Navionics on a cell phone as a very last resort  GPS?  While limited, it runs entirely independently of the boats electronics and electrical system.

The small screen can fool you into thinking you are much closer to a waypoint than you really are, but otherwise, I have found it to be accurate enough for soothing my nerves on third world panga trips with no onboard electronics.

-J

I would like to state for the record, the day last month when my AIS decided not to talk with the rest of the network.  It was my buddy Schad who had Navionics on his phone that saved the day.  found our pots and got us home.  that evening I downloaded the app to my phone and added my crab pot gps locations to it.  as a backup it can be a lifesaver.  I wont leave the dock without it again.

alantani

well, the thing is that i know she's right.  that's the part that is most aggravating..... ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on December 21, 2020, 11:48:52 PM
well, the thing is that i know she's right.  that's the part that is most aggravating..... ;D

We all hate it when they are right.   :-X  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.