Jt knot is this for you?

Started by gstours, January 14, 2021, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As we try different types of Tobasco ,  its the hope of some of us to find the perfect blend of heat and flavors. ::)
      So it is with knots,  there are many kinds of knots and each may have a following for what they can offer you.
So lets look at this mono to braid connector and give me some comments when you can.  ;)      Tanks gst.

pjstevko

Looks like a good knot to use if it's light out and you're not in a hurry to retie.....

akfish

Looks like it would work, but I suspect it would be a very big knot with heavy fluorocarbon.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

That is very similar to the slim beauty knot (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16990.0) that Wendy Tochihara taught us.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Good post Gary, I would be happy to use it, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

boon

As soon as there's a double in the mono I switch off. If it's not a game rod with rollers I'm not going to run a knot that thumps through the guides like a rock.

Strength is important, but a low-profile knot that fishes nicely is important to me too :)

jurelometer

I think that  the slim beauty started out as a mono bite to mono class tippet leader knot for fly fishing for tarpon.  As a leader knot, it  does not have to pass through the guides.  The original usually doubled the the thin line and used an improved clinch instead of the Uni.  I was taught to lube the knot with Chapstick.  It is fast to tie, but tends to tangle when fly casting.  It does track nice and straight, which is important with a heavy stiff leader on a fly. 

The fast way to tie it is to make an double overhand loop (pass the tag through twice).  Pull on the ends, and the knot will turn inside out into a figure 8.   Then thread the braid through on the same side of the loops as the line going in and out of the figure 8.  Finish with the clinch or Uni.

On conventional gear, I had problems using this knot with solid braid and heavy/stiff mono/fluoro leader.  It was difficult to get the figure 8 tight enough to keep the braid from starting to slide through.  Probably my fault, but something to consider.   

Boon is right, it is anything but slim.  Maybe we should rename it the fat beauty  :) Not a great knot for casting or running through your guides frequently when you are using a thick leader.  But if it tests well for your lines, it is a quick tie.

-J

-J

SteveL

Quote from: jurelometer on January 14, 2021, 09:05:07 PM
The fast way to tie it is to make an double overhand loop (pass the tag through twice).  Pull on the ends, and the knot will turn inside out into a figure 8.   Then thread the braid through on the same side of the loops as the line going in and out of the figure 8.  Finish with the clinch or Uni.

I find the easiest way to tie the slim beauty is to start with the double overhand in mono, but before forming the figure eight, pass the braid through the loop following the overhand wraps once or twice.  Then tighten the mono to form the figure eight around the braid.  It seems a lot easier than passing the braid through a smallish figure 8.

When I tie the slim beauty, unlike the 50 lb braid to 80 lb leader in the video, I tie stronger braid to weaker leader.   I do this for a couple of reasons:  1) the leader should break before my main braided line, and 2) I want the size of the braid side of the knot to be similar in size to the stop knot in the leader.  This acts kind of like a ramp to ease the leader stop knot over the guides.  

I would typically do 50 lb braid to 30 pound mono, which would hold to between 37 and 40 pounds, or 30 pound braid to 20 pound mono which would hold to about 27 pounds.  Testing was done by hanging a 5 gallon bucket  with the line and measuring the amount of water added to the bucket (1 liter = 1 kg) until either it broke or I stopped and just let it hang for a half hour.  

Ideally, I am not casting the leader through the guides, but in the case of a topshot, the topshot is longer than my typical cast, and the knot only passes the guides when a fish takes line.

gstours

Thanks for your comments,  I,m not saying its the best for every application,  Butt for a streamside reppair or and like a person with poor eyesite and cold fingers maybe an alternative to the FG or Albright.     Below is some more expert information that I failed to find before my posted question.    Thanks for being civil. ;)    There are many ways to choke a herring......

gstours

Heres another transition knot for braid to mono that Alan likes,  so lets see why?    Its said to have less bump going thru the guides.

Another kinda hypy ad,  but lets see.

the rockfish ninja

Here's the article on the research that is mentioned in the vid, I posted it here a while back and keep it bookmarked to refer to.

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/strongest-fishing-knots-braid-to-leader/

For those how have concerns or problems about thick knots going thru guides, look into the PR bobbin knot. 99.5% rated and the thinnest knot I've come across. You have to buy the bobbin tool but I've been using it since last season, no fails so far, and so easy it's no turning back for me. YMMV
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

gstours

Thanks  for chiming in Mr. R Ninja ,  Ive been looking for better oar at least suitable knots for my applications..... Your link to the forum there was good to see and digest.......   I have had mixed feelings about the FG knot.   We all fish differently, and we have mixed expectations especially when we find out what we have failed...... Maybe that makes fishing fun, ???
   Especially now in the news,  its not my fault.   >:(   I got bad line.   >:(  I was upset when the failed knot was tied.   >:(  We have options and using them may help us to the quarry in the box.... ;)
   Knots are our friend... and when we kiss them by mumbling with saliva,  tighten them and pray.......    tanks.   gst.