Deburring Edges on Aluminum plates

Started by Gobi King, February 18, 2021, 04:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I bought some 1/8th inch plates from my local Iron Werks.

The super nice guy at the store cut the Al plates with a plasma,

One side is smooth and the opposing side is bit sharp. What can I use to smooth out the edges? I need round the ends too.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Wompus Cat

The fastest way would be to use a Hand Held Electric Grinder .

Slow but steady use a file .

Forever but really nice use a carbide infused sandpaper . and they make blocks you can buy

Make your own  and
Take a short piece of 2/4 and staple the sand paper to it and go to town .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Flat file for real bad shaping  ,palm or belt sander to finish in your case.
  Block sand if you don`t have a sander .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Push comes to Shove you can get a grinding bit /wheel to fit your drill motor and go to town .
While you're at it punch out a couple of Reel Spools Like Oldmanjoe does  with his Drill for your Dam Reels...lol

Anuuder thang is to take it back to the place you got it plasma cut and they SHOULD oblige you if they are worth a crap.
imho
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gobi King

Thanks guys,
I am going to town with a light file for the edges.

The corner, hmm, no belt sander in my inventory but I have rotary tool, let's see if I can find an attachment for taking the corners off.
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

IF you try grinding stones , dunk them in oil first or they will clog up in a heart beat .     Same with a steel burr.    You can use candle wax also .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gobi King

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 18, 2021, 07:36:22 PM
IF you try grinding stones , dunk them in oil first or they will clog up in a heart beat .     Same with a steel burr.    You can use candle wax also .
wax it is, I just washed em in soap, they were used plates...
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Wompus Cat on February 18, 2021, 05:57:28 PM
Push comes to Shove you can get a grinding bit /wheel to fit your drill motor and go to town .
While you're at it punch out a couple of Reel Spools Like Oldmanjoe does  with his Drill for your Dam Reels...lol

Anuuder thang is to take it back to the place you got it plasma cut and they SHOULD oblige you if they are worth a crap.
imho

The guy at the steel werks was bigger than moi, more than the burrs, I value my pretty .... ;-)

Ok, I am taking orders, side plates, spools, heck 2 speed gears anyone?
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Aluminum clogs files pretty quickly so make sure you have a file cleaning brush. Regular wire brushes don't work the greatest removing stuck debris from file grooves. With aluminum you may even have to scratch it out with a utility knife blade. I would knock the rough burrs off first with a square steel edge and smooth it from there with various grits of paper. Aluminum & files don't play well together, know that going in.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishy247

A wire wheel on that grinder would work pretty well for cleaning it up. I'd use a regular grinding wheel to knock down the corners then the wire wheel.

borchcl

For filing aluminum or other soft materials, you can pre load the file with chalk. The kind sold for kids to draw on sidewalks works.
Charlie

conchydong

Ideally a router with a bit designed for aluminum would give you a nice edge but it would probably be cost prohibitive. I'd probably hit it with a grinder first and finish with a file.

oc1

Sounds like a good time to invest in a belt sander.  You'll find a million uses.  They start at about fifty bucks.

Benni3

I have done this alot,,, ;) just take some 180 sandpaper and hand sand the edges,,,,gloves help sometimes,,,,, ;D