Deburring Edges on Aluminum plates

Started by Gobi King, February 18, 2021, 04:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on February 21, 2021, 04:38:32 AM
Sounds like a good time to invest in a belt sander.  You'll find a million uses.  They start at about fifty bucks.

Steve & BELT SANDER : Same thing as Mill & Lathe to all others ... Jeff

Gobi King

There is hardly an space in my little ranch for a belt sander, I would love to have one, don't need much finger twisting to buy one, but absolutely no counter space to mount it :-(.

Also, I would have never realized that Alu will clog files etc. Those edges are sharp, I already sliced my little girly fingers.

I do have some sanding blocks with 100 grit,

I thought about using the COLD hard concrete in my drive way but it snowed again.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rivverrat

Cant remember where but I have seen a hand held belt sander that had a table mount. This might be something to search out.

Benni3

Quote from: Gobi King on February 22, 2021, 01:25:16 PM
There is hardly an space in my little ranch for a belt sander, I would love to have one, don't need much finger twisting to buy one, but absolutely no counter space to mount it :-(.

Also, I would have never realized that Alu will clog files etc. Those edges are sharp, I already sliced my little girly fingers.

I do have some sanding blocks with 100 grit,

I thought about using the COLD hard concrete in my drive way but it snowed again.

The 100 is fine,,,,,, ;) that sharp edge knocks off quick,,,round the corners and get that girl some icecream or I'm getting mad,,,,,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

I went to town with a rasp
The alu plates were hard but I was able to knock them down
The rasp took a beating through:-)

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 18, 2021, 07:36:22 PM
IF you try grinding stones , dunk them in oil first or they will clog up in a heart beat .     Same with a steel burr.    You can use candle wax also .

They make wheels for aluminum, flapper disks do a better job.  I use a large medium file or flapper disks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain