Need advice

Started by Bill B, February 20, 2021, 03:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

With my pending retirement, the boss is letting  ;) me take a long range west coast trip.  I'm looking at a 5-8 day trip chasing whatever is biting in the Mexican waters.  I already have the usual arsenal of Penn reels, 140 squidders, 500-505-501-P21XN Jigmasters, 112H, 113H and HLW, 114H and HLW, and Baja Special, with rods I like. 

Buuuuuttttt  ;D since this will be my retirement gift  ;) I might as well get another rod and reel.  I would like another Penn, I'm not really open to other brands.

This is where I need the advice in filling the line up.  I have been looking at the Fathom 25NLD2 with an Okuma PCH 741XXH with 100 lb braid and a top shot for pitching irons and yo-yo irons for yellowtail and tuna.  On a long range I would use the boat's rigs for trolling and kites. 

Should I go bigger with the 30LD2 or the 40LD2 and corresponding rod?  Or would the 25NLD2 fill the need?  After the trip it would be used for shorter overnight and 3 day trips. 

For the 5-8 day trip I was thinking of the following:

20-25 lb= P21XN
25-30 lb= 501 or 112H
30-40 lb= 113H or Baja Special
50-60 lb= 25 NLD2
80-100 lb= 114 H

Am I totally off base?  As this is new to me, I am open to all suggestions....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Bill I'm still very new to this SD fishing but I think for a trip that long you might want a few more 2 speed reels.

I suggest you get a 40nld2 paired with the PCH rod. The 40nld2 can be used a bunch of different ways from big baits, dropper loop, flat falls and yo yo jigs!

I'm sure someone else will chime in tho....

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Bill, PJ is right. Your 80-100 lb. outfit should definitely be a 2-speed.

Brewcrafter

Bill - Firstly - Congratulations on your pending retirement!  Hopefully at some point we will both be on the same trip it would be fun to share the rail!  And have fun on that Long Range - there is nothing like it in the world.  Anyhow, I will give you my best answer to your question, but I am sure there will be others that are wiser and more experienced than I that will also contribute.  Firstly - DEFINITELY a two speed!.  Secondly, size: I really think your choice of a 25NLD is a good one, and here is where I am coming from: I have a 25NLD2 Torque (basically what you are looking at with your Fathom) and an Avet JX6/3 (I know, you want to stick with Penn, that is fine) but they are two of the "most used" modern reels I have and they are both roughly in the same size range.  Since in the long run you are thinking you will be using this as more of an overnight/3 day type reel, I really think that 25 will give you more versatility than something larger (and yes, on a 6-8 day, that larger reel might come in handy, but I don't think that is your long term plan?).  Also, on the line choice - personally I think 100# braid is going a little bit big - I have 65# on mine, and honestly you can throw whatever size topshot you want on there for abrasion resistance, but you will get a little more capacity (my 25 has just about 400 yards of 65# braid).  There is not a Yellowtail in existence that will best that rig.
I like pretty much every one of your choices, you have put a lot of thought into it.  And I always take my hotrodded 113H narrow right in that 30/40 range where you have your Baja Special and have always done well with it.  If you get into some flat fall action, that 114H may fill the bill, there is certainly no fish that will blow it up it's just a question of how hard you are going to work  :D.  So...
Getting a bigger two speed, if you see yourself doing more "long" trips would be worth it, but I think you will get more use in the long haul out of the 25.  Having a dedicated 100# 2 Speed outfit IF you see yourself doing a lot of trips of this nature would be pretty much mandatory, and I love my Boss approved VISX20/United Composites Viper combo, but again, most of the time the outfit in my hand is one of the lighter ones, so my thoughts are more on what you will get the most use out of - but only you know what the future holds.  Just my $.02 from the cheap seats! - john

Swami805

Definitely need a 2 speed, fathoms will fit the bill.  Keep in mind to that those big bluefin are always a possibility so if you can swing it an international might be something to consider. You could always rent or borrow something too
As far as trip length an 8-10 will give you many more opportunities and a bigger variety of fish to catch. With so much of the baja coast and islands closed or by permit  only shorter trips are pretty limited on where they can fish.
Congratulations on your retirement! Hope to see you up here to catch some cods!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sciaenops

I use 25NLD2 for 30-40# and 40NLD2 for 50-60#, can push latter to 80#.  Smooth, versatile & affordable (esp. used) so get both! If limited to one, the boat should have loaners covering the other. 8-d obviously gives you more fishing options. Good luck!

alantani

for this level of fishing, i would recommend two speed reels for all line weights.  also, not a fan of the fathoms.  not at all.  i know the torques are so much more expensive, but i would recommend those. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Never fished out there yet. I have to say based on playing around with a couple of Torque & Fathom 25N 2speeds I agree with others it's a 30 - 40 rig. Mainly because of it's line capacity.  Now here with my river fishing not needing a lot line I would feel well armed fishing the Fathom or Torque 25N at the level you stated.

Please keep in mind The Fathom versions while fantastic reels have a little less output when compared to their Torque counterpart. Rigidity of the Torque frame vs the Fathoms is one reason why... Jeff  

Bill B

Thank you for the input everyone....looks like I will have to up the game to 2 reels......Alan would you mind expanding on why the Fathom doesn't rate very well?  Bill

alantani

when i set the drag on the reel and look at strike and full settings, i want 30% at strike and 50% at full, with a nice smooth easy progression as you push the lever forward.  with the fathom, you really have to muscle the lever forward and you still don't get that much drag going from strike to full.  i don't know what it is about the fathom, but it does not give you the same range as the torque. 

Bill B

Thank you Boss Man.....

funhog

Just a random thought:
I know this is a site mostly about reels.But, what about borrowing the 2-speed reels and taking the money you'd spend on them and extending your trip to a 10-11 day trip? the potential destinations and the time spent fishing would be greatly enhanced. And the story you come back with has the chance to be even more awesome!
Like I said ...just a thought. Im thinking of hawking a lot of gear I've collected and taking more fishing trips.  I need less gear and more time on the water. I hit 70 last month and I need to cram more memory moments into the time I have left.

Brewcrafter

Funhog has a point.  It's always great to fish your own stuff, but pretty much any reputable operation is going to have loaner/rental gear for a modest fee/line charge.  Also it can be fun to fish a "sponsored" trip where there are giveaways and factory loaner stuff to try out as part of the trip, most of the manufacturers have them throughout the year. - john

MarkT

I've been doing 2 10 days in the fall the past few years.  I use and like the Fathom 25nld2 for 40#.  It's too small for 50-60#.  To fill that slot go with a 40nld2 w/80# spectra topped with whatever is appropriate.
I use 2-speeds for 30# on up on all my trips of overnight or longer.  You see a lot of Fathoms as they have a good price performance ratio.  On a 8-10 day trip, unless you run into some big BFT, 30-40# is the sweet spot.  I've had multiple 10 days where that's all that was needed for bait.  I do use 50# for Wahoo bombs/YoYoing.

20#  Fathom 12
25#  Avet MXJ
30#  Accurate DX2-400 and Avet SX Raptor
40#  Fathom 25nld2 and Avet JX 6/3
50#  Avet JX Raptor and Saltiga 40ld2 plus 2x TranX 500 hg
60#  Avet HX Raptor and Mak 15T
80#  Mak 16 SEa
100# Mak 20 SEa

I do use the 20-25 rigs, not all fish are big on a 10 day!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

Bill, don't hate me....

30 bait - Torque 15N
40 bait - Torque 25N
50 bait - Torque 30
60 jig - Torque 40N
60 bait - 12 VISX
80 bait - 16 VISX
100 bait - 20 VISX
130 bait - 50 VISX