Need advice

Started by Bill B, February 20, 2021, 03:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

It's what's so great about this place. We can dislike a reel or disagree without being disagreeable  ;)

Bill B

Great input and advice guys. 

Ok so I have a game plan forming in my beer soaked brain.....I would love a Torque but don't think I can justify the price at this time, the flaws in the Fathom don't seem to be fatal, a set back yes but not fatal, I think the 2 speed is more important than the limited drag.....maybe Penn figured it out by now. 

The 25NLD2 is top of the list and a 40LD2 is there also.....wondering if Charkbait would provide a deal on two rigs 🤔too bad the SOA trip is not happening this year it would be nice to try all the different gear.

So time to rethink my line up.....as the Terminator said "Ill be back.....". 😎

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rivverrat

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 21, 2021, 09:02:34 PM

.... The 25NLD2 is top of the list and a 40LD2 is there also.....wondering if Charkbait would provide a deal on two rigs 🤔too bad the SOA trip is not happening this year it would be nice to try all the different gear....

Tell Mark  " Jeff From Kansas " said, your worthy & he should give you great deal. That will at least make him smile & maybe soften him up a bit  :D

SoCalAngler

Bill,

First you should look at the type of trip your looking to do. A 5-6 day trip will in most part be very different from a 7-8 day. Now a 5-6 dayer will most likely head to the Lupe (Gaudalupe Island) if the boat has permits where mid sized YFT are found along with yellowtail and sometimes wahoo. At he Lupe it is beat the shark type of fishing meaning the gray suites will wait by sportfishers looking for the dinner bell to ring, yep your hooked fish close to the boat to eat it. Larger tackle is need here. IMO a minimum of 40 lb test toppers to around 80 lb is what I would take.

A 7-8 day trip are what I call a verity type trip, meaning usually schoolie sized tuna both YFT and BFT, yellowtail, wahoo, dorado and more will be on the list of likely catches. On these trips a wider range of tackle is needed anywhere from 25-30 lb to 80 lb is what I would like to have. On these trips 40 lb is what will be used the most and I like to have a backup in this line class. So, the 25nld2 fits great here with 60-65 braid backing you should get around 300 yards with a 25 yard topper or more. The Baja setup with the same 60-65 lb braid backing and a 40 lb topper as a backup so your golden at 40 lb. You may want to extend the handle arm on the Baja Special to it's longer setting for better cranking power.

Now a 25-30 lb setup will be used for kelp paddy fishing, dorado and yellowtail for the most part and to make bait if needed. Is a two speed needed here? Not really IMO but if you hook into something on the larger size it is nice to have.

20-25 lb test? Well on these trips I'd leave it at home. Why? Smaller game is not the target and if the boat does stop on fish that aren't willing to bite most likely they will move quickly looking for willing biters. Thinking again I may bring it just in case.

Now a 50-60 lb setup I would not leave the dock without one, yes a two speeded reel is the way to go. IMO the fathom 40nld2 works fine here. Do you really need to go from 30% at strike to 50% at full? I know Alan likes that and that's cool but ask captains of sportfishing boats if they think it is good to go with that much drag at the end of a fight where pulled or straitened hooks can happen. Everyone can fish how they like but for me I will not push a reel to 50% of the lines breaking strength even at the Lupe with the beat the shark issue.

Where your most lacking is in your 80-100 lb setup. A Penn VISX 16 is what you may want to look at, since you said you like Penn. For me I'd go with a Okuma Sea 16 because I like their gearing a bit better for this line test. But, how often will you use a setup like this? If not much get a loaner setup from the boat, rent from the landing or borrow one if you can. Most boats that do trips like this have fine loaner tackle or the landings have good rentals when going with this size of gear. This will save you a lot if you don't plan on doing many trips like this. With that money saved you could add a day or three to your trip if you wanted without coming out of pocket for more.

Bill B

Jeff, please dont wait on me....if you already have a buyer ....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

funhog

SoCalAngler summed it up perfectly and take to heart... the last sentence. There's nothing better than fishing relaxed, Knowing you have plenty of time to find that epic bite or overcome a few bad knots, lost fish, or an off day. Time is on your side and you may have such an epic trip that you plug the freezer!who knows?!I don't have any two speeds, but like you I have a lot of built up Penn's ready to go. I live in Dana Point and I believe that's on your way down to San Diego from Crestline. You're welcome to borrow any of them as backups if you decide to go longer. I've never been on a fishing trip that was too long, but I've been on plenty that I wish were a couple of days longer.   

tristan

Quote from: funhog on February 20, 2021, 11:56:53 PM
Just a random thought:
I know this is a site mostly about reels.But, what about borrowing the 2-speed reels and taking the money you'd spend on them and extending your trip to a 10-11 day trip? the potential destinations and the time spent fishing would be greatly enhanced. And the story you come back with has the chance to be even more awesome!
Like I said ...just a thought. Im thinking of hawking a lot of gear I've collected and taking more fishing trips.  I need less gear and more time on the water. I hit 70 last month and I need to cram more memory moments into the time I have left.

funhog, that's thinking outside the box!

I agree with your assessment about selling some of my gear and doing more fishing...   Hope you have many more days on the water!!

I have a Fathom ld2 in 40 size, I like it a lot but can't speak to it's abilities at the margins of it's performance envelope...     Kinda fond of my fathom 25n star drag too, though the same comment applies.

Hope you have a great trip, Bill B!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 21, 2021, 05:55:41 PM
Bill, don't hate me....

30 bait - Torque 15N
40 bait - Torque 25N
50 bait - Torque 30
60 jig - Torque 40N
60 bait - 12 VISX
80 bait - 16 VISX
100 bait - 20 VISX
130 bait - 50 VISX

Alan in a chance can you post a pic of a Mak10 and 12visx, I think you said 12visx is similar to mak15 but bit more boxy.

btw, where are the Makairas on that list?
The Baja Guy

alantani

this my personal gear.  i have four mak 8's, four mak 10's, a mak 16, 20 and 50 as loaners.  great reelsl!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

You can't hide money :)

My loaners are 65 LB's on Ugly Sticks. That is, if I ever took anyone fishing :) :) : )

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on April 09, 2021, 06:11:16 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 21, 2021, 05:55:41 PM
Bill, don't hate me....

30 bait - Torque 15N
40 bait - Torque 25N
50 bait - Torque 30
60 jig - Torque 40N
60 bait - 12 VISX
80 bait - 16 VISX
100 bait - 20 VISX
130 bait - 50 VISX

Alan in a chance can you post a pic of a Mak10 and 12visx, I think you said 12visx is similar to mak15 but bit more boxy.

btw, where are the Makairas on that list?

12VISX  is a 4/0 sized reel. A bit more capacity than the Mak 15 in either of its versions... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on April 09, 2021, 07:24:19 PM
this my personal gear.  i have four mak 8's, four mak 10's, a mak 16, 20 and 50 as loaners.  great reelsl!

yay!!  

dont you want to loan me a mak10 for 5 seasons?  just as a loaner  ;D ;D

@ Jeff, thanks buddy, well seem as a big reel, would like to find something as the mak15 SEA but bit smaller, mak10 might be the ticket or a torque 25n but Im not ready to spend another $500 on a reel right now  :P
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Alex, I'm really liking the Avet Raptors. They are a simple design. Parts easily obtained & they just keep working.

If I understand your area & lived there I would have 1 Avet EX 30, 3 or more Baja / US113's, couple of spinners, you say your search is for a smaller reel 3/0 size ?   Im at some point going to give a Valiant 500N a try. They have been out long enough for any issues to show... Jeff

gstours

Alex,  I would also recommend The Accurate, in narrow Boss 4-500 series.   Great working man reels.
   Every working gals friend too.💁🏻‍♀️.   Americans supposedly made too.🧜‍♀️

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 08, 2021, 07:17:20 PM

Alex, I'm really liking the Avet Raptors. They are a simple design. Parts easily obtained & they just keep working.

If I understand your area & lived there I would have 1 Avet EX 30, 3 or more Baja / US113's, couple of spinners, you say your search is for a smaller reel 3/0 size ?   Im at some point going to give a Valiant 500N a try. They have been out long enough for any issues to show... Jeff

I have seen those new valiant reels and looks and feel pretty good, I friend of mine have a valiant 400 that I had serviced few times and looks like a fun toy to play with it, but a 500N might be better of course.
I already have two nice spinners but I NEED to take them more to the water, a van staal VS275 and quantum Cabo 60PT, both need a new spinning rod to shine, thats mostly the reason I dont use them that much on a boat.
I recently had in my hands an Avet JX raptor and I know what you mean, they are great powerfull reels, I actually serviced a set of raptors HX, JX and SX and all of them were great, they dont suffer from the pinion bearing damage as their Non-raptor brothers.

for non-special reason Im attracted to those Seigler reels, I might get one of those if I have the oportunitt$$y but worried about parts availability for the future.

the reality is what I really need is TIME to actually use my current reels. ;D ;D
The Baja Guy