Ocean City, reel

Started by Donnyboat, May 31, 2021, 11:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, hope your all catching fish, & staying virus free, I have a chance to buy an Ocean City, true temper 603 reel, can anyone give me a comparison of this reel maybe to the size of a Senator 4/0, the reel I am looking at, the bloke wants AU$40, including rod, that sound like a low price to me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

The Penn 113 is close to the Same Size as The Ocean City  the 603. There are several Widths available in the 603 / B ,C, and D in the Ocean City True Temper Series.
The OCEAN CITY (edit) 4/0 604 is near Identical to Penns 113 4/0 in circumference and Width .
Great Reel 100 bucks and up in Good shape . You are getting a Hell of a Deal I think.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Thanks Billy, I will pick it up Friday morning, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Yes I picked up the Ocean City, true temper, reel it is in good condition, its a 603B reel, with a white knob, I have taken the line of of it,  the reel is in really good condition, except the leather drag washers are very thin, the first one @ the bottom of the main gear is disintergrated, I will try & send some pic after I restore it, it has nothing on the foot, but the foot has 3 screw each side, then there is  3 lots of post 2 side by side, strong like a Penn 349 reel, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

It is a Coin Toss as who was first in these size reels as Penns 349 I Think came out in 1957 and  the Ocean City 110 which is what the  603( is based on was built in 1948 . Also the 165 Ocean City is in there as well.
603b (@ 1958)  after True Temper took over
I have in previous years been kinda Biased towards Ocean City however after these last few years of comparing Penn to Ocean City I find in most  every Scenario Penn has often improved the Reels whoever made them first ....lol
Especially the Gear Drive Mechanism.

There are numerous similarities in all Reels made in the early 30's to early 60's and Ocean City in my opinon went NUTS in trying to keep up in their last ten years and Penn won Out .

Both are great reels but Penn is still here for the most part(except the new overseas Production ). and you can get parts. Some Original Manufactured and aftermarket improved parts but not so for OC . Right Now OC is the Dinosaur .

Your 603 (While a steal at the price you got it  ) to me was a dying attempt of Ocean City(True Temper) to cheaply make a Reel  they had Better Versions of in the past like the( 6/0 Big Game) series to keep up with competition .   End of Sermon  ;D

Donnyboat

Thanks Billy, all very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 06, 2021, 01:15:08 PM
It is a Coin Toss as who was first in these size reels as Penns 349 I Think came out in 1957 and  the Ocean City 110 which is what the  603( is based on was built in 1948 . Also the 165 Ocean City is in there as well.
603b (@ 1958)  after True Temper took over
I have in previous years been kinda Biased towards Ocean City however after these last few years of comparing Penn to Ocean City I find in most  every Scenario Penn has often improved the Reels whoever made them first
My overall impression is that Penn took the OC concept and figured out how to do it easier.  A little less complicated and some corners cut on material cost.   Since Penn are considered to be well-built, maybe OC was over-built.  Penn seemed to be more focused as well.

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Steve, yes the OC is quite well built, & yes a little complicated, I have it apart ready to place in vinegar in the morning, quite a lot of corrosion on the foot & posts, the main gear & pinion look quite good, I managed to polish the plates this evening, just taking my time with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

It was Touted as a Light Tackle Game Fish Reel  Size 3/0

Brewcrafter

Looking forward to seeing the finished reel Don! - john