Mahi mahi themed fishing rod

Started by steelfish, April 09, 2021, 05:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: conchydong on April 10, 2021, 12:55:59 AM
Alex, it is time to quit your day job and become a "full time" professional cutom rod builder. Outstanding work.
Scott

then it will become a "work" and I wont be enjoying it anymore  ::)

but thanks for the advice, still long time before retiring but looks like I wont be just watching TV or gardening on my retire
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 10, 2021, 01:57:48 AM
   Good color theme / combinations  with the thread bands , you have a gifted eye well done 

I must admit the thread bands was taken from a picture the owner sent me, I dont know how is the "inventor" to be credited, but the owner sent me a picture and asked me if I can do it something like that, I said no on the paintjob thread work is doable, but he insisted and well there you have it, next time I will put a double trim band or something to make it not as a copycat, actually this is the 1st time I do something outta a picture but not really into that, in reality, mahi mahi theme didnt give you much diff options of colors to play with.

The Baja Guy

MarkT

What, no Dorado painted reel seat to match?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Quote from: steelfish on April 10, 2021, 05:54:59 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 10, 2021, 01:57:48 AM
  Good color theme / combinations  with the thread bands , you have a gifted eye well done  

I must admit the thread bands was taken from a picture the owner sent me, I dont know how is the "inventor" to be credited, but the owner sent me a picture and asked me if I can do it something like that, I said no on the paintjob thread work is doable, but he insisted and well there you have it, next time I will put a double trim band or something to make it not as a copycat, actually this is the 1st time I do something outta a picture but not really into that, in reality, mahi mahi theme didnt give you much diff options of colors to play with.

Those trim bands are what really sets off everything else.  Visually, it makes a rigid structure that counterbalances the random paint dots.  You have a lot of patience.

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on April 11, 2021, 12:42:37 AM
What, no Dorado painted reel seat to match?

stay tune Mark, next one will have one of those.

this one was fun and really outta from my comfort zone
The Baja Guy

gstours

Alex,  your creative mind has a positive influence on many of us.    Thinking outside the box shows me about anything is possible.    Keep it up.   We are waiting.😸

Decker

Increible, Alex!   I remember seeing pics of a rod you built for your daughter just a few years back.  I'm no pro, but his looks "clase mundial" to my eye.

Pardon my Spanglish.

Gfish

Awesome! Lookin very Mahi-like. Got the blue in there with the thread and dots, too. I've thought about painting lures like that, but couldn't concive of how to. How'ed you do it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Decker on April 14, 2021, 03:20:49 PM
Increible, Alex!   I remember seeing pics of a rod you built for your daughter just a few years back.  I'm no pro, but his looks "clase mundial" to my eye.

Pardon my Spanglish.

thanks Decker, sometimes I see the fishing rod for my daughter which is in the same rack as my rods and it scream "rookie" there are many things on that rod that I would do different right now but I would never touch it because my kiddo helped me on it, (what a coicidence) Im actually working on changing the buttcap because its big and comfy specially when fishing from shore but it dont fit on any rod holder and the last few trips it has to be lean on the boat the whole trip instead on a rod rack.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on April 14, 2021, 03:28:59 PM
Awesome! Lookin very Mahi-like. Got the blue in there with the thread and dots, too. I've thought about painting lures like that, but couldn't concive of how to. How'ed you do it?

I feel your pain amigo, those dots where the big challenge, I havent found an easy and replicable way to do them, so, once Im really set on how to do them without that much hassle I will let you know.
The Baja Guy

Decker

Alex, good to hear about that.  I can tell you put family first.  My youngest daughter loves to invent a build things, and, like you said, I have to stop myself from helping her too much, so that she gets the credit she deserves.