Removing crank arm 12-16 visx?

Started by gstours, April 01, 2021, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Concerning the difference between the newer visx and the earlier model the shift button seems to be aluminum as well as the knurled ring under it.   Also now there is a shift lever coming out of the side to shift gears, more like other 2 speed reels.
  There is flats on the side of the knurled piece,  does this part unscrew like the earlier v series reels to access the crank arm?   Is it right hand threads?   
    Does anybody know?   Thanks for sharing your information.     Gst

alantani

Gary,  if you do not have to remove it, then do not. I just tried and damaged two of my reels in the process. Still could not get the ring off. You start with the tool that came with the reel. The use channel locks, soft jaw pliers or a strap wrench.   If you use a strap wrench,  push the plunger down to make room for the strap.  The threads are right handed.  

Stupid design.   >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Ok thanks  ???
  I want to replace the crank arm with a longer one if possible.   Ouch Alan,   Did you try heating the nut before you tried to unscrew it. The tool penn sent started folding up.     Maybe they assembled with some kind if thread locker?
   Assuming it's aluminum it's going to be softer and more corrosion prone possibly?
       Thanks for the heads up. :-[

alantani

you can't heat it.  there are plastic parts underneath.  the metal parts, #110B and #110C, are about $25 for the set if you have to replace them.  i mangled mine up a little but i'm going to leave them as is.  a thinner strap wrench is the ticket.  mine was too thick. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Thanks for your advice.   As mentioned earlier possibly penn assembly person used a thread locker on the knurled nut.
   By careful heating around the perimeter and staying away from the plastic shift button and continued trying to twist it the nut gave up.   And it came loose with no damage.

gstours

The penn wrench 🔧 was used in conjunction with the channel lok pliers and his was the ticket.
   Holding the reel secure from moving was by a heavy duty junkrod reelseated ina vice.
       The inner shift parts are different in design than the vsx series.   The shift button is an improvement possibly from the twist type shift to high gear.
  The knurled nut has some plastic parts like the vsx butt it's held on now by tapped screw holes in the crank arm as shown below.    I'm seeing this like a sorta copy of the shimano idea.
  Thanks again for your earlier reply.     Good luck down there 👇.    🎣