alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Another Stiff International 30
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 27, 2021, 12:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Stiff International 30  (Read 204 times)
Joao Tavares and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
handi2
Sensei

OCD Reel Service and Repair

« on: February 22, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »

Hey guys,

I have two of the original Penn 30ís with the butterscotch handles.

They crank super easy and all functions work as they should.

I tried the 117dn Dura Drag on the first one with a new pinion bearing. Itís just tight to crank and no freespool.

I go back with the HT-100 6a drag washer on the original backing plate. Same thing.

So now to the bellvilleís. Iíve tried original that surely didnít work. I went softer like this (()). Still no luck. I even tried ((() with no luck.

Any ideas..??

Thanks,

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »

sounds like bad bearings, but you checked them all, right?  Undecided

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
handi2
Sensei

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »

Yep all bearings cleaned and checked. Pinion bearings changed. Roll Eyes Huh? Huh?

Gulf Breeze, FL
Rivverrat

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »

Issue with gear or alignment ? I have run into this being the issue with other makes. Might try another backing plate also... Jeff
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:00:10 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
boon
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »

No freespool suggests it's not a geartrain issue as the gears are disengaged. Bent spool shaft?

alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »

try a shim washer between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  sometimes there is a rub.  if add a little grease to the area, reassemble it, crank, then disassemble it again. you might be able to see the grease displaced. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
handi2
Sensei

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »

try a shim washer between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  sometimes there is a rub.  if add a little grease to the area, reassemble it, crank, then disassemble it again. you might be able to see the grease displaced. 

Alan I tried that with a shim before posting. I will try different thicknesses and see what happens. I put them aside to work on other reels. I hate it when I have to go back inside so many times. It gets frustrating..!!

I will also try different bearings too.

Thanks

Gulf Breeze, FL
Rivverrat

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »

No freespool suggests it's not a geartrain issue as the gears are disengaged. Bent spool shaft?

You are right. Had 2 Makaria's both new. Not the same design I know. The issue with these was resolved with new backing plates...
Tightlines667
Sensei

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 02:50:41 AM »

2 things come to mind...
1) I think the new bellevilles might be thicker than the origionals, sometime the bearings themselves are just slightly thicker/tighter too.  It is always harder to make more space than fill space up, but I am thinking...

1)You may need a stack height between stock and your (()) like use a shim with the |(()).
2)Shim between the left plate bearing and plate for every shim worth of space you lost when chanfing from ()() to |(()).

I usually approach this by measuring the origional belleville stack height and using it as a guide to determine #/location of shims with new bellevilles.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: