Another Stiff International 30

Started by handi2, February 22, 2021, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hey guys,

I have two of the original Penn 30's with the butterscotch handles.

They crank super easy and all functions work as they should.

I tried the 117dn Dura Drag on the first one with a new pinion bearing. It's just tight to crank and no freespool.

I go back with the HT-100 6a drag washer on the original backing plate. Same thing.

So now to the bellville's. I've tried original that surely didn't work. I went softer like this (()). Still no luck. I even tried ((() with no luck.

Any ideas..??

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

sounds like bad bearings, but you checked them all, right?  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Yep all bearings cleaned and checked. Pinion bearings changed. ::) ??? ???
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Issue with gear or alignment ? I have run into this being the issue with other makes. Might try another backing plate also... Jeff

boon

No freespool suggests it's not a geartrain issue as the gears are disengaged. Bent spool shaft?

alantani

try a shim washer between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  sometimes there is a rub.  if add a little grease to the area, reassemble it, crank, then disassemble it again. you might be able to see the grease displaced. 

handi2

Quote from: alantani on February 23, 2021, 10:04:47 PM
try a shim washer between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  sometimes there is a rub.  if add a little grease to the area, reassemble it, crank, then disassemble it again. you might be able to see the grease displaced. 

Alan I tried that with a shim before posting. I will try different thicknesses and see what happens. I put them aside to work on other reels. I hate it when I have to go back inside so many times. It gets frustrating..!!

I will also try different bearings too.

Thanks
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: boon on February 23, 2021, 09:29:36 PM
No freespool suggests it's not a geartrain issue as the gears are disengaged. Bent spool shaft?

You are right. Had 2 Makaria's both new. Not the same design I know. The issue with these was resolved with new backing plates...

Tightlines667

2 things come to mind...
1) I think the new bellevilles might be thicker than the origionals, sometime the bearings themselves are just slightly thicker/tighter too.  It is always harder to make more space than fill space up, but I am thinking...

1)You may need a stack height between stock and your (()) like use a shim with the |(()).
2)Shim between the left plate bearing and plate for every shim worth of space you lost when chanfing from ()() to |(()).

I usually approach this by measuring the origional belleville stack height and using it as a guide to determine #/location of shims with new bellevilles.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Thanks John and nice to hear from you. I just started back working on them.

I am using the original bellville washers. Both right and left plate bearings are new and even tried other new ones.

Today I assembled the one reel and you can tell it's too tight when installing the left side plate. It has both new bearings and original bellvilles in the stock order. When assembled there in no freespool and you can crank the reel with the preset dial backed off. The right side is correct.

No rubbing showing on anything on the left side. Nothing showing around the dogs.

A few times I would leave the snap on drag cover off.

I'll keep at it but man it's a pain. No issues with the original donut washer. That why I tried the HT-100 6a washer and the Dura Drag.

Thanks guy's!!

Could it be the pinion gear? It fits either drag assembly. It moves easily through the Dura Drag.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I sent the two old 30's to Alan Tani and they came back better than new. Great freespool with the new Dura Drag's.

Thanks Boss..!
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

just as long as your customer is happy!!!!!!