Chasing monster kings in New Zealand

Started by redsetta, February 24, 2021, 09:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Oh my,,,,, :o fantastic trip man that's a reel boat load,,,,,,, ;D

conchydong

Very nice fishing on some monster fish. We have some similar species in the Atlantic in very deep water. The  Hapuku (Wreckfish) and the Bluenose (Barrelfish). Love to see fish from the other side of the world.

Scott

redsetta

Thanks lads.

Scott - that's really interesting. Seeing pics of them, they do look very similar.
Here in NZ, the hapuku is only really a deep-water fish because of fishing.
In places that have little fishing pressure, they're still common in the shallows.
Bluenose, on the other hand, is a proper depth fish - apparently swordfish love 'em!

Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Swami805

Dang that's quite a trip, those would eat the yellowtail we catch here.  No small fish in that pile, incredible
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Wow Justin, great report and awesome pics of your trip. Big waves and heavy wind makes deep dropping a lot tougher. Kudos to you guys and a very salty skipper !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

redsetta

Spot on Sheridan, and those were just a few of the highlights!

Cheers Ted - I love being out in the blue water and the conditions only added to the experience.
The skippers on these trips always seem to be salty old dogs and this one - Rhys - was no exception!

oc1

Man Justin, that was worth more than a 16 year wait.  Once in a lifetime stuff there.  Congratulations.  Maybe that what happens when you've been a good dad.

Cor

Amazing the different species and size you guys have there.

NZ probably has some of the best fishing in the world.

Well done!
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

Thanks for taking us along Justin, good variety of fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

redsetta

Cheers lads - hope all's well with you and yours

Dominick

Justin, that was an epic trip.  High seas and big fish.  I can do without the high seas though.  Tell me about the boat holding your reservation all that time?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Hi mate, NZ's a small, generally pretty casual place. I just checked in with the owner, Lance, from time to time...
It wasn't until I had the aneurysm 18 months ago that I thought, 'Right, I really need to make this happen!'  :D

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on February 25, 2021, 02:46:59 AM
Dang that's quite a trip, those would eat the yellowtail we catch here.  No small fish in that pile, incredible

LOL my exact thought too, those Kings will have our Baja YT as breakfast any day

maybe because Im tiny this YT looks like a big fish LOL now that it looks like a bait fish in NZ
The Baja Guy

wailua boy