My newest roof rack mounted Rod Pod!!!!!

Started by pjstevko, February 25, 2021, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I've been doing a lot more fishing trips out of San Diego the last few years and have been looking for a better travel solution for my 8' rods then just squeezing them into the cab of my truck. I'm always concerned I'll close the door or window on one so I finally built a lockable XL Rod Pod. The parts cost me just over $100 and it took me about 4 days working on it a few hours at at time. There are commercially available rod pods but the cost is around $500!!!!!

The end caps and hardware came from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/REESE-Carry-Power-7054900-TransRack/dp/B00B2HP1A4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JZIHU3PAIWY&dchild=1&keywords=reese+conduit+carrier+kit+6&qid=1614278740&sprefix=reese+co%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3

The pvc can be bought from any home improvement store as well as silicone to seal the ends and stainless steel rivets to secure the end caps.

I chose to use rivets to secure the end caps instead of the included screws to make it harder for someone to dismantle in case they wanted to steal anything inside. I understand they could just undo the nuts on the u-bolts as well as use a Sawzall to cut it open but the rivets made me feel better. Plus if you rivet the lockable end from the inside out it creates a smoother surface on the inside so the rods don't have anything to rub on. If you rivet the solid end the rivet nubs are on the inside so I suggest your keep your rods in their rod sleeves when you use this....

I very happy with how it turned out!!!!!!

PJ

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

Cornelis

Dominick

PJ, that looks sturdy and secure.  Although, if I were a thief I would wonder what was being transported in such a secure looking carrier.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

pjstevko

I leave for San Diego in the am so it'll get its first test run tomorrow!!!!!

pjstevko

Quote from: Dominick on February 25, 2021, 07:27:00 PM
PJ, that looks sturdy and secure.  Although, if I were a thief I would wonder what was being transported in such a secure looking carrier.   ;D  Dominick

This is the exact reason why I will leave it unlocked and open once i get to the landings so that would be thief's can see its empty....

Brewcrafter

That's a sweet carrying solution!  Good luck on your trip! - john

Rivverrat

What you have here is a very nice way to pack rods !  

One thing I would recommend is that you use a leash with load rated carabiners on both ends to safely secure it when braking hard or God forbid during wreck.
   Multiple Running Bowlines or half hithes with proper rope would be better than nothing!

I was in a SUV overseas with equipment fastened  to top of vehicle. A crash, equipment was launched into another vehicle, killing two innocent children. I am still saddled with the sting of this situation today.

I have no way of knowing how tightly / secure the tube is. If your confident with it, so be it... Jeff

Bryan Young

That's a pretty sweet tube PJ.  I may have to consider something that that for my 9' rods.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Ok, so how did you rivet the end cap on the front with the flat on the inside of the tube?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

A couple of years ago, I built something similar for my wife and the rest of her surf angling team that were travelling down to South Africa with their one piece 14'long surf rods. We used UPVC drain pipe, and the solvent welded screw on access caps, The solvent welded caps saved the issue of rivets inside the tubes. The we used a simple hasp and staple for padlocks to secure the caps. The whole units were mounted on the roof rack with U-bolts and roped for added security, and a simple piece of studding off the front bull bar to support the tubes where they extended beyond the roof in the front. Worked well for 10No, 1 piece surf rods being taken down some 1500 miles each way, no casualties on any of the rods.

Rivverrat

Brian, the flat cap is hinged & uses a lock to keep it in place... Jeff

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 26, 2021, 12:05:22 AM
Ok, so how did you rivet the end cap on the front with the flat on the inside of the tube?

You can't rivet that end cap in the front from the inside so that end is riveted from the outside so that the nub is inside the tube at the front.... This is the reason I suggest you keep the rod in their rod socks/sleeves so the nubs don't scratch or nick the rods..

Bryan Young

Oh,...it looks like you riveted it from the inside when I enlarged the photo.  I though you had some ancient Chinese secret or something like that.

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 26, 2021, 02:50:09 AM
Oh,...it looks like you riveted it from the inside when I enlarged the photo.  I though you had some ancient Chinese secret or something like that.

I did rivet the end that opens (with the lock) from the inside....