Mirror-Bright Narrow-Spool 1574 Supreme

Started by Paul Roberts, April 10, 2022, 04:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I found this narrow-spooled Pflueger Supreme through an online antiques dealer. I didn't know a narrow-spooled model existed at the time. This one, I assume, had been polished by a previous owner. Or possibly it came from the factory this way? As an angler, who's looking for fishable vintage reels, I felt like I hit the jackpot. I have a standard 1573 also in fine condition and it's one of my most functional casters (ease and quiet, plus it's large enough to fit my hands well). This narrow-spool appeared to be in excellent condition. I couldn't wait to go through it, get it purring, and then take it for a test drive.

But, despite a through cleaning (down to bare metal), burnishing of the important internals, and appropriate lubing, this beautiful little reel turned out to be... more than a bit of a whiner. It nearly screamed on every cast!

Wanting to fix this reel, I went back to the bench and isolated every component, and finally found the culprit: a phosphor bronze bushing —that the face-side end of the levelwind worm gear rides against— was worn down, cupped. The worm gear appeared to grind against the damaged bushing, which resonated through the faceplate.

The schematic showed the bushing as recessed in the center, fitting the worm gear end. But this one looked excessively "cupped"/grooved, with thin raised edges. Being permanently fixed into the side plate, it is not replaceable in and of itself; At least with my expertise. Close up of where the worm gear contacts the bushing. I assume that the thin raised edges are the cause of the noise:

Obviously, this reel had been cared for, even painstakingly polished. But maybe a little too well-loved. Most people just don't fish, or cast, that much. I mean, we'd all like to, but enough casting to wear out a phosphor bronze bushing? Possibly, it was simply run dry for too long.

Fixing it!

I really wanted to fish this reel, so I started asking around for a replacement inner face-plate. An experienced Pflueger collector from ORCA responded, suggesting that nearly any 2573 inner face plate should work as a replacement part. I picked one up, a standard finish, "Satin Nickalum" model, in very good shape. And the worm gear bushing appeared nearly perfect. A bit of troubleshooting was required to get the new plate to fit exactly right. Turned out the faceplate screws for the recipient reel bound the spool some when they were was fully tightened. Oddly, and out of desperation, swapping for the donor reel's screws appeared to solve the problem. They might have been of slightly different length? Couldn't quite tell by eye. But, they did the trick.

I then took to polishing the "new" inner plate of the donor reel with a Dremel and Flitz. The result is passable; It did not seem to polish up as mirror-bright as the recipient reel. Possibly I need a different compound, or, maybe the recipient reel was not "Satin Nickalum" to begin with? Anyone know what the chrome-like finish could be on this narrow spooled Supreme? Could it have been a factory finish? Were there non-satin, polished, Supremes coming out of the Pflueger factory?

The end result, though, is a very pretty and very fishable reel. I took it out the back door to the pond and it casts very nicely, without protest! :) It threw a 3/8oz. Rapala Shadow Rap, on 15lb Mason braided nylon, as far as I could effectively fish it. Whirrrrrrrr....  :fish

Wompus Cat

Seems like the Bushing Culprit comes out and you can replace it .\
If I remember right  .
BEEEE U TEEE FUL REEL you,have there .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Very nice! Looks like it has all the 19_(?)_'s bells and whistles.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 10, 2022, 05:24:25 PMSeems like the Bushing Culprit comes out and you can replace it .\
If I remember right  .
BEEEE U TEEE FUL REEL you,have there .
Didn't see a way to do it. Here's the other side of that bushing. Seems to be pressed into place? Dunno. Would love to know.

Quote from: Gfish on April 10, 2022, 05:53:50 PMVery nice! Looks like it has all the 19_(?)_'s bells and whistles.
Outside of the narrow spool, it has all the same features other Supremes had for many years. Pflueger really thought things through and gave fishers what was needed to complete a day's, even year's, fishing. Impressive company they were. As far as bells-n-whistles, there was the Cub handle (drag) that was available for decades, and then the freespool and quasi-star drag handle. I have a Cub handle, and a FS/Star handled model 1895L Akron (pic below), but so far have found the FS feature doesn't add appreciable distance and is a bit clunky to operate. Happy to use my thumb, considering.

Paul Roberts

Rats. I see I started this thread in the spinning reel section.

Gfish

"Cub handle", interesting. If I's to collect one of these, might look for that feature. Might look for the FS feature also, it makes it look even cooler.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Here's a pic of a Cub handle. They are interchangeable with the early Pflueger casting reels. But I doubt the FS/Star handle (on the Akron above) is; It's a different model from the non FS models.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Paul Roberts on April 10, 2022, 06:48:56 PMHere's a pic of a Cub handle. They are interchangeable with the early Pflueger casting reels. But I doubt the FS/Star handle (on the Akron above) is; It's a different model from the non FS models.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 2.46.14 PM.jpg

Sometimes the washers freeze together and you have to take it apart to get it to Work but it is THE DRAG on theses 

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Really nice reel, Paul.  I'm glad this worked out for you.  I've always appreciated Pfleuger's workmanship and details...even when I've had to work on them.  Just finished overhauling a #1989 Capitol and it wasn't near as easy as a Penn 4/0.

I hope you post some photos of fish along with that rig real soon.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Paul Roberts

Yes, Pflueger made some quality reels. One nice detail was the pocket on the faceplate to hold an extra pawl. Thoughtful.