Alberto and Albright, please rise.

Started by gstours, February 26, 2021, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As a fisherman of sorts, my choosing a knot should be influenced by the application, ease of tying and expected strength following my fiddling around right?
  To my thinking 🤔 the Albright knot has been around for quite some time and I use it some still.   
The Alberto knot is being mentioned more now it seems and brings up a simple question.
Are these the same knots?  Or a variation ?   Usually an improved version has an extra twist?
   Somebody will know,   Just wondering.
Below is a picture of a problem that I've got concerning the connection.    I used 20 wraps down and 15 back up......To me only half of the wraps are working.   Do I have too many wraps in the knot?
  When testing the knot it always fails in the front part where the braid starts the wraps on the folded mono.   
   It's an easy knot to use when I,m in a hurry generally just making the day more complicated.....

jurelometer

With the Alberto, the thinner line is wrapped  up and then down.  The Albright is only wrapped down (toward the bend).

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special

The Alberto works for me tying braid into thick mono leader.  I last used the Albright for tying mono to single strand wire biter tippet.   Not too many wraps with either.  More is not better.

There is a video link on this site somewhere to the RP knot, which is the same knot as the Alberto.  In the video, the final tightening of the knot is done with a sudden hard jerk on both standing lines at the same time.  This the key for me.  The wraps have to dig in.

-J

Swami805

I use an albright for 100yd plus top shots in very heavy line, 200lb braid to 130lb mono with a bimini in the braid. For everything else an RP knot. I just don't have confidence in tying an FG, it never looks right when I do it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SteveL

That looks like too many wraps.  I believe 8-10 max is typical.

wfjord

An Alberto (modified Albright) is what I primarily use for attaching braid to mono & fluoro --usually 7 wraps down and 7 back up.

I use a basic Albright in fly fishing applications.

Keta

Quote from: SteveL on February 26, 2021, 12:29:39 PM
That looks like too many wraps.  I believe 8-10 max is typical.

I usual go 12 to 14 wraps but have done less and they hold.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

The Alberto/Improved Albright/RP/John Collins knot are all the same thing.  The improved part is that unlike the Albright, it wraps up then down rather than just down.  On an Albright I use 20 wraps, on the improved Albright I go 10 each way.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Gary, I have been using the Butt knot (that's what I named it) since you showed Wayne and I the knot.  You did not mention it but you finish it off with reverse half hitches.  Do I remember it correctly?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks to everyone for sharing your information, thoughts.   This knot has my interest and soon I,ll share some variations you won't see on u tube!     Maybe I've been locked down a little too long ?.
  As for Dominic 🌦. If it's raining we won't fish 🐟.   😅
What knot are you being in question of?    Hope all is well with everyone....

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on February 27, 2021, 12:53:12 AM
Thanks to everyone for sharing your information, thoughts.   This knot has my interest and soon I,ll share some variations you won't see on u tube!     Maybe I've been locked down a little too long ?.
  As for Dominic 🌦. If it's raining we won't fish 🐟.   😅
What knot are you being in question of?    Hope all is well with everyone....

I'm just talking about the knot that you go up with wraps and then reverse going down and end up with half hitches.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on February 27, 2021, 12:06:13 AM
Gary, I have been using the Butt knot (that's what I named it) since you showed Wayne and I the knot.  You did not mention it but you finish it off with reverse half hitches.  Do I remember it correctly?  Dominick

Gary,

Here are a few photos of what Dommy is talk'n 'bout.

Here is your BUTT Knot used every day on the USS Maiko hauling up BIG Halibuts in Glacier Bay NP.

AND here is the knot tying diagram I saw stapled on your garage door.

OK, not that clear, here is a close-up shot for easier viewing.

and a more detailed photo for easier viewing

Dominick got overheated just watching you do your BUTT Magic!!!!

And here is Gary always providing keywords of wisdom and factoids only needed for the serious fisherman in this part of the world!!!!  Love you Gary!!!

And here is the PHOTO of the Day with Gary working in ONE of his workshops on his property.  

Gary, Please tell us more about this knot you used, at least in Aug. 2019 - and what knot you might be using now.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

Gary was also practicing on a smaller and slimmer knot - don't know or remember the name,

BUTT here was Gary's rendition back in Aug. 2019.   

BUTT, if you have any issue with Gary's knot tying, please see press the complaint button!!!! ;D

This all in FUN!!!!

Wayne

gstours

Just like a great stew or spaghettis sauce this won got a little better overnite......Thanks Waynee.  What?  no selfie? :o
   Firstly the yelllo braid on the chain link showed you paying attention, Dominick was as well, butt I never did figgure what the half hitches came from?   I,m thinking the knots have to be treated separately.    And put that camera back in your pocket!!! ;)
   The yello braid knot pic is a knot that is my "go do" knot for connecting to a swivel ....  It was first shown to me at the advent of the spectra revolution.  Years ago braid was also Dacron, and it was pretty knot friendly to the fisherperson.   
Maybe before (?} the Sandiago knot even?  Before u tube,  back when gasoline was twentynine cents a gallon on the west coast. 
    Spectra is slippery and small diameter ,  So my knot started out as a doubled line thru the eye and back down to the pinched fingers and held just like a double Sandiago for starters,,,,,,,OK,    leave a foot to go up thru the eye and back to pinch (minimum).
  Seconldy the swivel or hook need to be held somehow to keep it from twisting and you must pull a little with the loop pinching fingers to keep the wraps in a strait line.
  Thirdly the doubled line loop is wrapped toward the swivel using almost all the space you have provided for it, THEN unlike the Sandiago knot the line remaining is wrapped back down to the held loop tag end/main line keeping the line pulled firm,   put the looped double wrapping line thru the hole between the tag and main line pinched fingers.  wet the line just like the Sandiago and pull the main line first, then the tag end some, and the loop a little, you will see the knot start to form and move up to the swivel. Now a pliers is used to pull the tag end more firmly.
  also pull bothe ends of the loop some as well as the main line with a rag or glove until the knot stops moving, Just like any other knot.
      You will notice that you have 3 tag ends now to trim and burn.  The loop2+1=3!
  So now you kinda know?  I have extreme confidence in this knot, and it reminds me of the good ol days fishing for sturgeon on the Columbia River.   Its still a good Knot, can be used with mono butt Scoffers chime its "too bulky"  8)
   The knot diagram Wayne showed is Knot the knot and may have kept his attention and camera busy enough to have missed the earlier presentation? ;D

Gfish

"Dominic got overheated just watching you do your butt magic !!!"
Good for a deep, extended and much needed belly laugh!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

Quote from: gstours on February 28, 2021, 03:12:50 PM
......Thanks Waynee.  What?  no selfie? :o

Gary,

How many photos of Ansel Adams do you ever see???

My POINT exactly!!!!!

Wayne