Fishing report...... Pacific Queen 1.5 day February 26th-28th, 2021

Started by pjstevko, March 01, 2021, 04:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

We boarded the boat around 6:30pm on Friday and started to get situated. The plan was to head to Colonet and start looking for yellowtail for the morning, then catch limits of rockfish and spend the rest of the day scouting for bft and kelp patties. I got rigged up with 2 yo yo jigs, a 30# flyline setup, a double dropper shrimp fly and a surface iron then hit the bunk. I slept like crap wondering if I was rigged up right and wondering if I should switch up irons or reels and hoping to finally land my first yellowtail. I woke up around 6 am and grabbed a coffee and hung out until we hit the shallow bank to start yo yoing for yellowtail. We started yo yoing around 8:30 am and did a couple drifts and not person got bit! With the YT being a no show we headed into deeper water to start deep dropping for rockfish. We found quality reds, nice sized whitefish and a few legal lingcod and after a few hours we hit limits for everyone on the boat. Once limits of rockfish was achieved we headed offshore to scout for bft and kelp patty YT. We stopped on a few patties that were empty and never marked more than one or two single bft so as the sun set it was apparent we were going home without any pelagics. It was a great trip and I met a bunch of new friends as well as caught my first whitefish!

Pics to follow.....

Pj

Brewcrafter

Nice report!  Sounds like a great early season trip! - john

Donnyboat

Good report PJ, looking forward to the pictures, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

pjstevko

Pics

Hardy Boy

Nice looks like fun. Can't always get all of the species. Those whitefish are good eating !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Whitefish = poor man's Yellowtail!  It's a firm white meat very similar to YT.  We had Whitefish on a Long Range trip for dinner once and people said they're never throwing one back again!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on March 01, 2021, 06:35:21 PM
Whitefish = poor man's Yellowtail!  It's a firm white meat very similar to YT.  We had Whitefish on a Long Range trip for dinner once and people said they're never throwing one back again!

That's great to hear because we're gonna cook some up tonight for tacos!

Ron Jones

I've ever made whitefish tacos, but I bet they're fantastic!
Have to try that sometime

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Good report PJ, too bad you didn't get into the YT.....deck hands just don't seem to like the white fish, really sharp Gill plates is the complaint I hear the most.  I won a jackpot with a white fish, maybe that's why I like them so much, besides they are great eating.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

sciaenops

Nice report. I'll take your vermillion & you can have all my whitefish!

Benni3

Dominick

Nice PJ.  Fishing trips are a hit and miss proposition and you did not get skunked.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~