Bucket List trips

Started by the rockfish ninja, March 01, 2021, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I'm trying to think forward, in hopes that things someday get back to normal and international travel opens up. So until that is a reality I have time to ponder the possibilities.

I've been hard core on Slow Pitch Jigging for the past couple of seasons and wanted to get to possibly an exotic location with calm waters and quality reef fishing for targets of Snapper & Grouper, or anything else susceptible to jigging.

This type of jigging is best applied to calm waters (*although I've cut my teeth on this technique off the bouncy swells & waves of the NorCal coast) and it has taken off in places like Japan, SE Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and Florida USA, so if you have any first hand knowledge I'd like to hear any suggestions on those or other places to research.

So what's your bucket list trip?

Any suggestions on a jigging paradise?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Dominick

I agree, good call.  Let's hear from Justin.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Yes, Justin could get us on a charter for Feb 2037 (16 year waiting list) lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

boon

Slow pitch isn't huge here (New Zealand)... probably due to mechanical jigging working so well on our resident Yellowtail Kingfish and the average fish being a fairly tricky proposition on anything but a very heavy slowpitch setup.

A lot of people fish slowjigs, though (Kabura and Inchiku) which are dynamite on our "Snapper" (not a true Snapper, actually a type of porgie, Pagrus Auratus) and heaps of fun on a lighter setup - PE1.5 is usually plenty. They will smash a slow pitch jig quite happily, but are often accompanied by hordes of Kahawai (Arripis Trutta) which tend to sit higher in the water column and will demolish anything shiny and fluttering... great sport on light tackle, though.

I hugely encourage you to come down here and experience it for yourself, once all this pandemic business is dealt with.

EDIT: Per some of the posts in the other subforum, NZ has two of what would be considered the finest jigging destinations in the world: The Three Kings (as featured recently by Justin) and the Ranfurly Bank. And I don't think I would take a slow pitch rod to either  ;D (Other than maybe to play around with the enormous Trevally at the Three Kings? But you would lose a lot of jigs to getting steamrolled by the Green Submarines).

There is also a world-class fishery off the coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, which is a bit less wild than the other two, but the average Kingfish is more manageable at maybe 10-20kg rather than 20-35kg.

Ron Jones

Thanks Boon,
3 Kings is definitely on my list. It would break my stomach's heart when they are released, yellowtail is one of my favotites.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

boon

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 02, 2021, 04:13:06 PM
Thanks Boon,
3 Kings is definitely on my list. It would break my stomach's heart when they are released, yellowtail is one of my favotites.
The Man

I would say nobody would begrudge you taking a "rat" (~sub 45lb fish, in that part of the world) to eat :) I love eating them too.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: boon on March 02, 2021, 08:38:31 AM
Slow pitch isn't huge here (New Zealand)... probably due to mechanical jigging working so well on our resident Yellowtail Kingfish and the average fish being a fairly tricky proposition on anything but a very heavy slowpitch setup.

A lot of people fish slowjigs, though (Kabura and Inchiku) which are dynamite on our "Snapper" (not a true Snapper, actually a type of porgie, Pagrus Auratus) and heaps of fun on a lighter setup - PE1.5 is usually plenty. They will smash a slow pitch jig quite happily, but are often accompanied by hordes of Kahawai (Arripis Trutta) which tend to sit higher in the water column and will demolish anything shiny and fluttering... great sport on light tackle, though.

I hugely encourage you to come down here and experience it for yourself, once all this pandemic business is dealt with.

EDIT: Per some of the posts in the other subforum, NZ has two of what would be considered the finest jigging destinations in the world: The Three Kings (as featured recently by Justin) and the Ranfurly Bank. And I don't think I would take a slow pitch rod to either  ;D (Other than maybe to play around with the enormous Trevally at the Three Kings? But you would lose a lot of jigs to getting steamrolled by the Green Submarines).

There is also a world-class fishery off the coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, which is a bit less wild than the other two, but the average Kingfish is more manageable at maybe 10-20kg rather than 20-35kg.

She'll be alright mate, as long as I can put a few John Dorys & snappers in the chilly bin, chur heaps bro.................... ;D (OK my Kiwi isn't so good.)

Slow pitch isn't "huge" anywhere TBH, it's relatively new, but it is bigger over there than it is here in the states. It's akin to fly fishing, not everybody's thing but has a devoted following.

As for Kingies, I can drive down the coast of CA for Yellowtail, for bucket list I was seeking things I can't catch here like Snappers, groupers (I think you call them Coral Trout), and yes, I'm a light tackle slow pitch angler. I will plan to bring a heavy rod also, but don't think those specialty rods aren't up to the task, there are tons of pics & vids of people pulling trophy size fish with them.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

boon

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on March 02, 2021, 09:06:09 PM
She'll be alright mate, as long as I can put a few John Dorys & snappers in the chilly bin, chur heaps bro.................... ;D (OK my Kiwi isn't so good.)

Love it  :D :D :D

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on March 02, 2021, 09:06:09 PM
As for Kingies, I can drive down the coast of CA for Yellowtail, for bucket list I was seeking things I can't catch here like Snappers, groupers (I think you call them Coral Trout), and yes, I'm a light tackle slow pitch angler. I will plan to bring a heavy rod also, but don't think those specialty rods aren't up to the task, there are tons of pics & vids of people pulling trophy size fish with them.

Honestly for a pure slow-jig destination you could probably do better than here, just in terms of variety. Our Grouper (aka Hapuka) are more of a wreckfish and generally caught in 650ft+ due to historic overfishing inshore. Makes them hard work on a small jig!

There are a fair few species to catch but you'll have to find some way to avoid all the Kingfish  :D

Patudo

I reckon the reefs and atolls of remote northern Australia have got to have the most absolutely insane jigging, whatever style, light to heavy.  Check out the trips the Nomad guys do.  But the amount of gear you would lose would break my heart! 

I'd say the ultimate bucket list trip would have to be a week, or better a fortnight, live-aboard charter on a skilled marlin boat out of northern Queensland.  You could do everything - light tackle trolling or light/heavy lure casting in the early morning, heavy tackle marlin fishing midday/afternoon, and enjoy great reef fishing with jigs or bait in the evenings at anchor.  If I had only a week to fish for the rest of my life, that's probably what I'd do.