330 N

Started by smazzola, September 13, 2022, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

Open question to members, especially asking Fred to weigh in. I PM Fred earlier and got some tips. Appreciate that. I could not send pictures on a personal message so please see attachment.
   I bought a 330N on eBay, it spools mono line uneven, heavy on the bottom and dose not hardly wind on the top of the spool. I provided a couple pictures of the bail and the bail seat. Anyone have trouble with this before? I'm planning on fishing the reel myself.
😄

oldmanjoe

That part looks ok    How many shims are under the click gear washer ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

For some reason the picture did not load , so i try again
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Dam Quicks are notorious for that, either too much on either end of the spool or not enough. When new they came with extra shim washers so one could add or remove shims/washers to get appropriate/acceptable line lay. You may have to do some experimenting with washers until you get the line lay you're happy with. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Sounds like you godda remove a couple, then strip the line and rewind.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

What line are you putting on , mono or braid and what test pound ?

foakes

All looks good from here, Steve —-

Make sure the bearing is seated against the shoulder stop on the worm pinion.

And that the bearing is all of the way seated in the frame bearing cup.

Make sure the rotor nut is seated and tight.

Take out the (2) round brass washers under the bridge plate washer that has the tabs.  Leave this one in place.

A factory nylon spool arbor spacer may improve the square-on line lay also.

If none of this works, and I know you are loading it with 8lb mono —- you could send it to me, and I would correct whatever is needed, even if new parts are required, at no charge.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Since ya got off E-Baaa and have No History of it's service and or whether it was  assembled from parts some one had laying around and IF the aforementioned Remedies (which are all Extremely good from at least 100 years of combined HANDS ON  Experience) does not fix your Problem then you may have a Bastard Reel with the WRONG Shaft ,ARM, or Spool and Fred is your Best answer .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

smazzola

Thanks for all the input. I will play around with the eBay 330N on my work bench.
😄

smazzola

Now that life has settled down a bit, falls are always busy, hunting & fishing "well" someone has to do it. 😉 I think I will box it up and send it to you Fred, all assembled of course. Thanks again for all the comments on the eBay 330 N.   Steve     PS: Thought I'd share a recent trip to Kemmerer, Wyoming. It took 8 years to draw this area probably because there is a lot of public land to hunt. Seems DD1B0522-EFFA-40D8-904F-ECD7E49225D4.jpeg like I always have trouble loading pictures right side up on this site?
😄

foakes

Nice buck, Steve —-

Last Lope I shot in Wyoming was outside of Rock Springs, close to Muddy Gap.

Processed the meat.  Got a lot of Crock-Pot roasts, chops, steaks, and made quite a few 1 Lb. packs of hamburger mixed with 1/3rd pork and spiced.

It was tasty eating.  Friends really enjoyed the hamburger for meatloaf and tacos.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

Nice!  He still has browse in his mouth!  I have to ask how far was the shot and what caliber were you using.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

smazzola

185 yards, Ruger 243. The bucks were all competing for the does, I started my hunt the third week of September. The bucks were running around chasing and fighting each other.
😄