5001 DRAG MODIFICATION

Started by basto, March 07, 2021, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Just wondered if anyone has removed the cork washer on the underneath of the spool of a 5001 and if so, how did you go about it?

I am interested in replacing it with carbontex.

Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

I jist scrape them off with a chisel — then clean off any excess with a Dremel & a sanding disc, Greg —

Then just glue the CF in place — clamp it for 15 minutes or overnight depending on your choice of glue.

Make sure there is no glue residue in the spool shaft hole — clean it out if necessary — then, if desired for extra smoothness — apply a thin coat of Cal's by working it into the grain of the CF.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rivverrat

Fred, I've thought of doing the same. My concern that kept me from trying this, was that the carbon fiber may gall or eat away at the line lay adjustment that the cross pin on the shaft rides in. I've found asbestos felt washers that seem to work great & smoother than most any thing else. However I've not fished the two reels I've done this to much at all... Jeff

PacRat

I have a similar question. My 5001 had the asbestos washer greased (at least that's what I think it was). I flushed it out as best I could with carb cleaner, then squeezed out as much residue as I could by putting it in a folded paper towel and squeezed it between two blocks in a vise. I thought it came out pretty clean but now it is maybe 'squeaky-clean'...it literally howls when turning the empty spool. Maybe it won't be quite so loud with line on it. Seems as if it's ringing like a bell or a crystal class with water in it. I've eliminated and replaced the washers one at a time and it's definitely seems to be the asbestos and not the cork.

Thanks
Mike

foakes

Is this the top or under spool drag washer, Mike?

Asbestos washers should never be greased.

Let me know which washer — and I will send you a new one with your Daiwa spool and the other two DQ parts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

It's the top asbestos washer (looks like gray felt). I tossed it in the ultrasound tonight with some alcohol and more stuff came out of it and made 'tea' in the alcohol. I have no idea what sort of grease it is. I was going to give it another spin in the ultrasound in the morning.
While you're in the 5001 parts; I could really use a right-handed oscillating arm so I can convert it back to right-handed, it's set up for a lefty now.

Thanks
-Mike

foakes

I'll  gather those up tomorrow morning, Mike —

Hitting the hay right now.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: PacRat on July 21, 2021, 05:39:45 AM
While you're in the 5001 parts; I could really use a right-handed oscillating arm so I can convert it back to right-handed, it's set up for a lefty now.

Thanks
-Mike

Just to confirm, Mike —

So I don't assume the wrong thing here...

Do you want to end up with the crank on the left side — or the right side?

Let me know — and I will pull the correct part.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Crank on the left, rod in the right hand.

Thanks Fred
-Mike

jigmaster501

Fred,

Do you have any drag washers for the 5001 left. I need a top and bottom washer. I tried cutting it out of carbontex but the material was too thick.

Thanks,

Eugene

foakes

Yeah, they have to be exact, Eugene —-

And the CF does not play well with cutting.

Here is a complete new set with the metal and the felt also.

No charge since you have been so patient on waiting for your other reels that I am restoring for you.

You are a gentleman.

Thank You.

Send me your preferred address in a PM —- and the6 will go out
Mañana.

Best Always,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

jigmaster501

Thank you so much Fred.

This reel will now be used for casting popping plugs to tuna... When I ever get the chance to go...

Thank a bunch.

Eugene

foakes

On the way, Eugene —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jigmaster501