DAM! Another 110

Started by kjdunne, March 14, 2021, 06:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjdunne

Picked up this 110 a while ago from the big auction site, finally getting into it.  Auction pics looked pretty good, of course, and it is in pretty good condition.  I'll be fishing it, so the worn paint is not a concern.  It needed a thorough cleaning and service, and discovered a few parts were missing or seemed wrong. I'll try to post some pics...
as received:

kjdunne

Opened up, old grease.  2 washers closest to crank don't appear to be correct, the ID is too large for the shaft and the schematic shows only 1 washer there, #100-097.  The drag spring washer #100-071 is missing and the nylon drag washer #100-375 is worn, can this be sanded smooth?  I never tried sanding nylon.  The crank arm pin is a regular roll pin, not the factory style 101-157.  Other than these issues, if I can get the parts, it just needs a good cleaning and lube to go back to fishing.

kjdunne

All cleaned and reassembled (except the spool and crank handle) with Cal's purple grease on the gears and Abu Garcia Silacote Reel Oil on the shafts and bushings (because I had it already). Thinned the Cal's with oil for the ball bearing, nice and smooth now.  Hoping to be able to buy the few missing parts so I can finish it.

oldmanjoe

That one cleaned up real nice , glad to see another one saved and ready to fish again.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

Nice job. Sweet reels.
Golden Oldie ready for action.

happyhooker

The difference in the gear box is like night and day.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quotethe nylon drag washer #100-375 is worn, can this be sanded smooth?

I have better luck using a fine file, then burnishing the nylon with 800 or so wet/dry emery cloth.

Nice resto! 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

kjdunne

Hoping Fred has some parts inventory he is willing to sell...
Need a few parts for this 110 and a 330 I have.    ;D

oldmanjoe

I believe i read that he was out  camping , so give him awhile to respond  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

We are over at the Coast for the week.

Glad to help when returning — likely by the beginning of next week.

No worries.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

That there, is one sturdy lookin Quick. Good pictures! Them there small ones godda be some a the toughest spinners ever made.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

kjdunne

Finally got around to finishing this guy...thanks Fred for the parts!  Works great!
Loaded it with 6 lb Trilene XL and mounted it on a similar vintage Fenwick GFS 55 5'6" UL rod (now 5' 1" but that's another story), ready for stream trout fishing.

Kal

foakes

Perfect work, Kal —

Good job!

Those 110's are an extremely capable, fun, and strongly rugged reel.

Well balanced combo.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Hey Fred.
I just went through my first 110. Everything went smooth except I have a very small knock in the winding cup. I know what it is. It's the click tongue pin (100-015) contacting the trip lever lug screw (100-048). I have already polished the pin and gave the lug screw a couple of passes with an India stone. It improved but is not completely gone. I would like some advice before just removing more metal.

If I seat the spool firmly against the cross pin it will still contact. If I pull the spool out so that it is against the latch; there is no contact. The washer (100-089) is in place on the brake spindle (100-376). Do these washer get worn thin? Would replacing this washer solve the problem?

The pin and the click-tongue do not seem too loose but I'm wondering if I should to seat the click-tongue pin a little deeper? I've been reluctant to do this because I don't want the click-tongue to get too tight. If I were to do this; would it be better to use a punch and hammer or press it with a small C-clamp?

Thanks in advance
-Mike

oldmanjoe

Quote from: PacRat on August 17, 2021, 01:25:30 AM
Hey Fred.
I just went through my first 110. Everything went smooth except I have a very small knock in the winding cup. I know what it is. It's the click tongue pin (100-015) contacting the trip lever lug screw (100-048). I have already polished the pin and gave the lug screw a couple of passes with an India stone. It improved but is not completely gone. I would like some advice before just removing more metal.

If I seat the spool firmly against the cross pin it will still contact. If I pull the spool out so that it is against the latch; there is no contact. The washer (100-089) is in place on the brake spindle (100-376). Do these washer get worn thin? Would replacing this washer solve the problem?

The pin and the click-tongue do not seem too loose but I'm wondering if I should to seat the click-tongue pin a little deeper? I've been reluctant to do this because I don't want the click-tongue to get too tight. If I were to do this; would it be better to use a punch and hammer or press it with a small C-clamp?

Thanks in advance
-Mike
I am just reading this , and my first thought is the rotor cup is up to high !   Back track a little more and look to see where your shims are on the main bearing and frame .  Make Sense ?