Experimenting painting a Graphite Reelseat Fuji ACSM

Started by steelfish, March 17, 2021, 01:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Believe it or not, I wasnt aware painting reelseats was a regular or common practice and are sold on most rod building stores, I did saw painted reelseats before but never paid attention on them because it didnt attracted me the idea of a painted graphite reelseat but on a recent custom rod order I had the idea of using a green or yellow painted graphite reelseat instead of a green aluminium one, promtly I found out they were sold 3x or more just to be painted, then I heard the voice of the little devil on my right ear saying, dont pay that much, you can do that, then the little angel on my left ear just said, ... Agree, go for it!

I dont own a Airbrush painting kit so, I did tried it with regular spray paint cans.
dont ask me how I did it because I didnt used any technique or anything duplicable LOL just spraying here and there.

I think the final paint job looks pretty acceptable with some adjustments I might offer that service too in a future, for now just on my personal rods and for close friends I will start thinking on colors of the thread, grips colors and graphite reelseat to build a more balanced custom rod just like when using an aluminium colored reelseat.

now, the question for you guys.

Go and paint also the black screw cap or leave it like that?

I didnt painted the black screwcap because if I paint it green/yellow as the body of the reelseat, depending on reel feet lenght the two colored cap colors might wont match with the body mahi mahi colors and would look weird, also that screwcap might lose the color faster by the use and mostly because I didnt wanted to glue the screwcap to the hood of the reelseat with the excess paint.

the only way to paint that screwcap is to find a way to cover the groove were the cap meets the hood so, the paint wont get inside and stuck or glue the cap and use only one color, green or yellow or maybe blue.
The Baja Guy

rogan

Alex,

I say leave it black. I don't think it's that distracting.  I agree about the upside down factor depending on the size of the reel foot. And your spray can technique is pretty good. A few years ago I did the same technique with my son for his model rocket build and we got similar good results.

Cor

Here where I live we have very different ideas about the way a rod should look, more like a functional tool.    That off course does influences my thinking.

When I looked at your 3 rd picture down, I though no paint it as well, but picture 4 changed my mind.   A very nice paint job, but what does come to mind is how durable is the spray paint, having sprayed lures and other such items.

Actually maybe some paint thinners and return it to its original colour is your best choice. ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Alex, no offence meant just a bit tongue in cheek.

Cornelis

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: Cor on March 17, 2021, 06:33:07 AM
............we have very different ideas about the way a rod should look, more like a functional tool.    That off course does influences my thinking.

I was the same way few years ago, you should have seen my fishing rods and reels in my arsenal 10 years ago or maybe 15 years ago, what I did care the less was the look of my rods and reels as long as they were working and could caught a fish, this site changed my mind about reels in general as maintenance, repairing, upgrading and of course customizing them,  but it was until around 4 years ago when I started to get into rod building that I found out I could DO almost whatever I want to rods to make them look personalized and unique for the me, just like the guys that get into custom cars, etc, then some friends wanted the same on their rods and still going.

Quote from: Cor on March 17, 2021, 06:33:07 AM
When I looked at your 3 rd picture down, I though no paint it as well, but picture 4 changed my mind.   A very nice paint job, but what does come to mind is how durable is the spray paint, having sprayed lures and other such items.
Actually maybe some paint thinners and return it to its original colour is your best choice. ;D ;D ;D
Sorry Alex, no offence meant just a bit tongue in cheek.

the paint job has 3 or 4 light coats of polyurethane sprayed on so, it might last longer than handling the reelseat with just the paint and no additional protection, time will tell, if results on a mess after few uses I can always use your advice and use the paint thinner to return it to the original color or just paint it black, btw, no offence taken, your comment actually made me spit the coffee after reading it haha, nice one amigo.

well, the opinions are divided:
1. No need to paint it
2. paint thinner and return it to original color
3. Paint it

since Im on the R&D stage (sounds like an important thing but Im just playing) I think I will paint it and see how it looks or if I end up making a mess with the locking nut and hood of the reelseat.
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

I would paint the hood and nut just like the handle .   After it dries mask off the hood and add the missing color on the nut ,so it fits in no mater were the nut stops.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 17, 2021, 05:55:44 PM
  I would paint the hood and nut just like the handle .   After it dries mask off the hood and add the missing color on the nut ,so it fits in no mater were the nut stops.

so, you're saying paint the  hood green and nut yellow? or paint hood /nut just like the reelseat body and dont care if the color scheme of the nut didnt match with the body color scheme?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I'd go all green. Otherwise paint the hood to match the rest of the seat and the nut green.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

I just broke a rod today, did something stupid while lifting a 15 lb Yellowtail on to a rock.

Now I have to remove all the guides and maybe I should paint the whole thing in your colours.    Will look cool.
If I do Ill post a pic, but think it is too much work and will quickly get scratched again.

As it is the rear of the rod is blue and the front (tip) section black so a paint job would not be amiss.
Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: Cor on March 17, 2021, 07:10:27 PM
Now I have to remove all the guides and maybe I should paint the whole thing in your colours.    Will look cool.
If I do Ill post a pic, but think it is too much work and will quickly get scratched again.

I say go for it, its actually not much time consuming, if its one color on the rear and another at the top of the blank, one color at the top and another at the bottom of the blank might be not as easy but still pretty doable just taking your time, maybe if you wanted it to look as professional paint job as some of the blanks on the internet sites it will be too much work and you will need specialized tools.

I have two blanks already painted with the same colors as the reelseat, in mahi mahi colors, they look pretty acceptable (IMHO) and they will be a conversation theme for sure because there are no many rods painted like that on this fishing zones, they do have some painting mistakes here and there, not much noticeable unless you are a OCD with keeping the line of the green/yellow (loin/belly of the fish) straight otherwise are good to the next step.

just a sneak peek image of the blanks until having the rods finished in few days, they will look better once they have the 2k car clearcoat sprayed on,  those are the 1st blanks I paint with 2 color scheme, next ones will be better, I was actually painting these blanks when I grabbed the reelseat for a quick paint job and 1st idea was to leave the hood/nut alone.

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Quote from: steelfish on March 17, 2021, 06:03:47 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 17, 2021, 05:55:44 PM

so, you're saying paint the  hood green and nut yellow? or paint hood /nut just like the reelseat body and dont care if the color scheme of the nut didnt match with the body color scheme?
Paint the hood and nut just like the reel seat .     After it dries mask off the hood and just add more paint on the nut to make it blend in no matter were the nut stops . Like a zebra

Jeri

I've got to say that painted products look great when all fresh and new................. BUT!!! A couple of trips in the boat and you'll be getting out the spray can to either repair, or the thinners to strip back to original.

I've nothing against decoration on fishing rods, but where appropriate; it is still just a fishing rod, even if custom built. We do a lot with thread work and marbling, but as they are resin protected they last the life of the rod. Paint isn't going to last, and the first few scratches will convince you of that. Appreciate the skill, though.

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on March 17, 2021, 10:48:35 PM
I've got to say that painted products look great when all fresh and new................. BUT!!! A couple of trips in the boat and you'll be getting out the spray can to either repair, or the thinners to strip back to original.

Jeri, I have my doubts on the durability of paint on the reelseat eventho it has some additional clear coats of polyurethane protection, time will tell, in my understanding fishing brands or persons that offer custome painted components use 2k automotive clear which is pretty hard and seems like a nice protection against normal wear and tear

Quote from: Jeri on March 17, 2021, 10:48:35 PM
I've nothing against decoration on fishing rods, but where appropriate.......Paint isn't going to last, and the first few scratches will convince you of that.

well, agree if you dont protect the paint on the blank but few coats of 2k clear coat seems to protect light graphite painted blanks really good for many years (or maybe because guys with custom rods tend to take more care of the rod than when using a factory rod) and against all rodsmither recommendations on H or MH 6.6ft glass rods that I have restored and painted their blanks a pretty light coat of thread epoxy resin on the whole blank was the key to keep them in good shape and protect the paint even for fishing rods used as loaner rods on charters for many years, but I only do that on short loaner glass rods for deep drop or trolling or on fishing rods from close friends, on larger than 6.6ft rods thread resin add too much weight and in many cases it really change the action or casting ability of the rod, so, when I get something like that size or larger and the blank paint is not that badly beatup I recommend to avoid painting it even when the guy want to change the color, if they keep pushing to paint the blank then 2k clear coat is used but some shops wants to charge premium for that.

this 6ft rod was painted from factory "dark caterpillar yellow or orange" but it had an un-know coat of a hardened glue or something so, the only way to take that thing off was to sand the blank and paint it, the rod was a gift for a 13yo boy and wanted a "Dragon ball " Fishing rod.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28074.0

the blank was painted blue before reinstalling the guides with the light coat of light formula flexcoat or your prefered thread resin, after two years of use by a kid that rod only have some scratches from normal use on panga boats but the paint didnt peel off or anything alike, same deal with the rods that have been restored as loaners, so, I have the same hope this mahi mahi blank will hold as long as the rest of the painted blanks I have done, time will tell, good thing the owner of the rod already know he's the GUINEA PIG and its aware that it might not last as long as my previous painted blanks so, Im cover and the other painted mahi mahi blank is for a personal swimbait fishing rod, so I will know first hand how well the paint job is gonna last.

But I understand fishing from the rocks with big and long heavy surf rods is a whole different scenario, painting a 13ft surf rod and apply 2k clear might / surely will affect the action and performance of the rod.
I have a heaver custom 12.6ft rod from a discontinued rainshadow blank and I will never even think on painting it or add too many cosmetic buttwraps, the less epoxy on it the better.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 17, 2021, 08:06:35 PM
  Paint the hood and nut just like the reel seat .     After it dries mask off the hood and just add more paint on the nut to make it blend in no matter were the nut stops . Like a zebra

gotcha, that seems like a clever idea, like many up and downs (green/yellow), up and downs around the nut.
I might try that, if it doesnt look good, I can always painting the nut just green, leave the hood mahi mahi and call it a day

The Baja Guy

bhale1

Alex,
Looks great buddy. Everyone has an opinion, but only time will tell. If you put 2K on the threads of the rod, I think it will only mess up under the hood...which wont show while in use..Paint the hood, catch a few nice fish and lets see what happens...that way we all learn...
Thanks for experimenting and seeing what is possible. ;D
Brett