Experimenting painting a Graphite Reelseat Fuji ACSM

Started by steelfish, March 17, 2021, 01:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: bhale1 on March 18, 2021, 03:45:00 AM
Alex,
Looks great buddy. Everyone has an opinion, but only time will tell. If you put 2K on the threads of the rod, I think it will only mess up under the hood...which wont show while in use..Paint the hood, catch a few nice fish and lets see what happens...that way we all learn...
Thanks for experimenting and seeing what is possible. ;D
Brett

thanks Brett, Im not actually experimenting to find or invent something new, Im actually Just showing my selft learning process with regular tools and materials, custom painting reelseats and blanks is already done by many with good results and with their own techniques to make a professional job and charge premium for that but need specialized tools or even use hazardous materials that I dont want to deal.

here some examples:
https://rodgeeks.com/collections/reel-seats-casting/products/copy-of-reel-seat-ecsm1610gbp-120-371

https://rodgeeks.com/pages/custom-colors-by-rodgeeks

https://backbonecustomrod.com/

and few more..
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 17, 2021, 05:55:44 PM
  I would paint the hood and nut just like the handle .   After it dries mask off the hood and add the missing color on the nut ,so it fits in no mater were the nut stops.

I dont know if this how you explained it or what, but I did the best I could to avoid having paint and clear coat between the nut and hood and glue them together.

it looks good (IMHO) and also doenst look as bad as I though when the nut colors arent matching with the rest of the reelseat colors only if you are a really OCD person

see the 3 picts

dont pay much attention to the grips they are there just to "hold" the reelseat in place for the pics, they arent finished or glued yet as well as the reelseat

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

You nailed it , that`s what i was thinking  .     The nut can stop any where and still look in place  .    The blue speckle makes it work  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

zero bling for me, but looks cool
on different themed build,
maybe, drip thinner on & let it run for psychedelic look

oc1

It's a whole new world.  Water printing is next?

oldmanjoe

:o      Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh       Swirl painting
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on April 01, 2021, 01:54:26 AM
It's a whole new world.  Water printing is next?

already have the equipment !!

;D ;D naah, not yet but its on my plans  ;)
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Looks great Alex !! If I ever drive down your way I will have to stop in and get my truck painted ....................... how cool would a 3500 crew cab look painted up in Dorado !!!

Nice work:

Todd
Todd

boon

Looks awesome. That thing screams Mahi Mahi to me, great job.

Brendan

Alex I did not realize how nice a job you did until I tried putting glow paint on sliding sinkers. the reel seat looks great.
tight lines, Brendan.

steelfish

Quote from: boon on April 06, 2021, 09:43:22 AM
....That thing screams Mahi Mahi to me, great job.

thanks, then,  it worth the effort !!
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Brendan on April 06, 2021, 07:37:36 PM
     Alex I did not realize how nice a job you did until I tried putting glow paint on sliding sinkers. the reel seat looks great.
tight lines, Brendan.

some spray paints are more suitable to work with them on some surfaces, glow paints are not easy to work with, sometimes you have to put some white primer before the glow paint to make it really "glow" or shine.

btw, thanks.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

playing with another reelseat  ;D  ;D  :fish

you know me I cant leave anything stock  ::)
the rod is still on the works and kind of far from finishing soon  :-\
The Baja Guy

boon

Woah. That's awesome. I'll be interested to hear how they hold up over time - I feel like good adhesion to that plastic might be tricky?

JasonGotaProblem

I mean mudhole sells painted fuji seats, and for quite a bit more than unpainted seats. This leads me to suspect there's at least one way to make paint stick.

Alex, looking good!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.