Common failures

Started by AlasKen, March 19, 2021, 11:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I am putting together a few parts for my reels.  In a different post Fred mentioned that with the Penn 209 generally only the worm, pawl, and nylon idler gear fail or wear out.  I was wondering if there were similar observations with other Penns?  I have the 112H, 113H, 114H, 114, Longbeach 67, Jigmaster 500, peer#9, and 209M.  Also a couple of Shimano Charter Specials with open spool, and a Triton 100GT.  I have been known to impulse buy at garage sales.

If there were common points of failure I would try and be proactive on stocking parts.  Shipping to AK is expensive and slow.  Placing a larger order helps with shipping.  As a side note the Senators have many of the SS upgrades as well as cf drag washers.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ken

nelz

I've got the "impulse buy" too, for old Penns, lol.  ::)  Most common point of failure without doubt is those old leather drag washers. Also, rounded gear sleeves is pretty common.

thorhammer

That may be about the only things might wear out. There's a reason pre-WWII Penn conventional are still out there catching fish, with very little actual functional design change except for spool and drag material. Maybe an eccentric spring, but I've never heard of it croaking. Possibly bearings but if they are maintained to begin with you'll have to fish a dang well lot more than most charters, even.

AlasKen

I do find dog springs a point of failure, but only when servicing.

Gfish

What Nelz said. Alan developed a fix for rounded gear sleeves. Where though?
Haven't used leather drag washers yet.
Bakelite side-plate swelling sometimes causes problems. Did something to a Sailfisher 130 and couldn't find the spool rub cause. Played with the posts/rings, the spool edge, even the stand! Solved by shimming the spool. Now the spool ain't centered between the frame rings which is a bit bothersome, but it's much less noisy and spins great.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Yessir!  Don't ever buy "one" dog spring  :D.  Nice to have an selection, they are inexpensive and good to have around.  Same with the handle lock screw, Easily "escapes" and nice to have a couple of those and fit a lot of models. - john

RowdyW

Gfish, I've run into this with a number of older graphite reels that have soaked up a lot of saltwater, oil, fish slime, & blood that the plates swell and also bow either in or out. The only cure is undamaged or new plates. Usually when stock spools are shifted to far right or left from their original position it's warped plates.

Brewcrafter