Jigmaster Drags

Started by joesquid, March 24, 2021, 07:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesquid

OK fellas....what am I looking at?  I pulled these out of a 500.  Looks to me like either some super high performance drags or someone cut two washers out of a milk jug.

thorhammer

prolly old teflon. get a carbontex stack.

alantani

teflon.  a friend tried to sell me on these a long time ago.  they were horrible......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joesquid

Thanks fellas!  I agree...horrible. Don't see how they got elongated.  Also, why did they only change 2 of the 3 to Teflon.  The CF's should be in my mailbox any time.

joesquid

So swapped out the drags.  No issues now except when putting it in gear, the eccentric sticks but will go in gear.  It did it before I took it apart.  Looked at the yolk, pinion and jack and don't see a problem.  Any ideas?

thorhammer

check the spring going into th eeccentric. if it protrudes proud on the inside of the reel it can hang. file it down flush.

joesquid

I didn't check that.   I'll look at that first thing in the morning. 

joesquid

Just noticed I'm in the spinning reel section.....  Is there a way to move this where it belongs?

Gfish

You might be able to see a gouge in the eccentric-jack if that spring tip John mentioned is protruding too far outta the eccentric. You probably already know this, but some sanding will bring back the metal washers. Them teflon's mighta been heated up too much.

Gotta ask Joesquid, two guys in the avatar, you and another, or are both of you Joesquid, and if it's only one, which are you?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

joesquid

Yeah, I sanded them down a bit and they look OK.  I was waiting for someone to ask that.  The picture is of me and my (little) brother.  I'm on the right.  He passed last year and the reel he left me is the one that put me over the edge and got me collecting Penns.  I'm sure he's laughing his #### off knowing he fueled my addiction. 

joesquid

Just pulled it apart and the eccentric spring was sticking out a bit so I filed it.  No help.  Any other ideas?  I'm gonna pull it back apart and look again.

thorhammer

Check the yolk- could be bent, or backwards, meaning that if you look closely, sometimes one of the edges will be rounder, and you want this one engaging the jack. it acts as a ramp and will go into gear more smoothly. Some guys chamfer this a bit with emery cloth.

BTW - if you have netflix or other, check out Fish Mavericks. The show is hilarious and has some good fishing. Two of the brothers are from VB so some of these episodes are right in your back yard. The other three guys are from Jersey, and the homeboys teach them about eatin Viennies, Sardinies, and Beenie Weenies on the boat. I don't eat potted meat, cause it don't rhyme with the other three....but they had it on the show and allowed to the Jersey fellas as to how it's all pate....

Gfish

Quote from: joesquid on March 25, 2021, 02:19:01 AM
So swapped out the drags.  No issues now except when putting it in gear, the eccentric sticks but will go in gear.  It did it before I took it apart.  Looked at the yolk, pinion and jack and don't see a problem.  Any ideas?

Alright! My younger brother had a collection of oldies that intrigued me, while I had all newer stuff. I kept looking at em, started disassembling and playing around a bit and noticed they were less fancy, but built better. Now I have a mix: gadgety/composite vs simple/tough old school. He's still here and I've taken the torch. Great picture.

Check where the pinion female top pushes onto the male spool "shoulders" as the ec. lever is actuated. Is it rough? Does the pinion move easily on the spool shaft? Only one of several things it could be, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

joesquid

I'll have to look that show up!  Sounds good.

So I looked at the yoke.  No wear rounding so I filed a tad to make it smoother.  No luck.  Then realized the problem is going from the jack being engaged (free spool) to disengaged (in gear)  I noticed the jack is not riding square to the yoke.  If I square it, it shifts smooth.  I think my jack is jacked!  Maybe the hole is elongated?

I have the problem when it is plate is off the reel so I don't think it's the pinion.

joesquid

2nd pic as it normally sits with my intervention.