triton beastmaster 4/0 II

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

on many boards, you will see discussion about the value of a two speeded 3/0 or 4/0-sized reels.  load these reels with spectra and a topshot, and it makes perfect sense.  but what if spectra was not available?  how much sense would a 4/0 sized two speed reel make?  probably none.  so in the mid 70's, when shimano introduced the triton beastmaster 4/0 two speed, a tackle shop in san francisco ordered up two of them.  and they sat.  and they sat. and they sat some more.  then finally an employee bought one.  who knows where the other is.  no one was interested in a small two speed reel.  back then, it made no sense.

with the introduction of spectra, this reel makes perfect sense!  behold, a 30 year old shimano triton beastmaster 4/0 two speed, introduced 30 years ahead of it's time!

schematics were no where to be found, so we're going to wing it.  review the rebuild post for the shimano tld 20/30 two speed.  it's close in design, and being familiar with this reel will keep you oriented.

there are  two small screws holding the lug on the left side plate.  let's back them out, shoot in a small bead of grease and torque them back down again. 

remove the lever quadrant.  there are only three screws.  set everything aside.

pull the clicker lever and set it aside.

back out all of the right side plate screws. 

remove the right side plate assembly and set it aside.  note that it is similar in design to to the penn internationals.

pull the spool assembly and set it aside. 

the left side plate and frame are a single piece of precision cast aluminum.  again, note the similarities to the penn international.

here is a view of the left side of the spool assembly.  note that the spool cap that holds the drag plate has left hand threads.  the wrench for the shimano tld 20/30 two speed reels actually works for this reel. 

off comes the spool cap and drag plate, and look at what we find.  it's a 30 year old greased carbon fiber drag washer!

here's the spool shaft assembly, removed from the spool and reassembled so that you can see how things are arranged.

the bearings were gummed up with old grease and had surface rust only. 

i pried out the shields, cleaned the bearings with carb cleaner and compressed air, and lubed them with corrosion x.

i pulled out the drag washer, cleaned off the old grease and slapped on a coat of new grease.

i cleaned off all the excess grease....

... and it's ready to go!

i cleaned up the right side of the spool and re-installed the spool shaft assembly.

back goes the drag pressure plate.

install the thrust washer.

install the spool cap and torque it down good and tight with a tld 20/30 wrench.

now for the frame.  pull the bearing and pack it with grease. 

i had an old clamp from a tld 50 LRS two speed and decided to clamp it on.

back out the two screws holding the lug on the right side, add a bead of grease and torque down the screws.

install the spool assembly into the frame.

install the pinion gears.

we need to remove the handle and main gear assembly to get to the right side plate bearing.  first, remove the push button shield.

remove the handle bolt plate.

remove the handle bolt.

remove the handle.

hmmmm.....  normally the main gear assembly drops right out.  it won't budge.

well, here's the reason.  remove the c-clip and carefully drop the main gear assembly out as a unit.

pull the bearing and pack it with grease.

install the main gear assembly as a unit.  don't let it fall apart.

install the c-clip.

install the handle and handle nut, then the handle nut plate and cover.

install the right side plate assembly, greasing the screw holes first. 

install the clicker lever and lever quadrant.

and you're done. 

this reel will probably hold 400 yards of 65 pound spectra.  this gives you an option of a 30, 40 or 50# topshot.  i was not able to check the drag.  judging from the amount of pressure on the lever, i'd say 25#'s at strike with good freespool would not be unreasonable. 

i get a tremendous amount of satisfaction being able to open up a new reel for the first time.  this one in particular, was very enjoyable.  it's a killer reel.  very well engineered and way ahead of it's time.  someone put alot of work into this.  it must have broken his heart to see it falter in sales and then see it dumped from production. 

just a passing thought that some of you may be able to relate to.  this beastmaster might be a good example of a reel that an engineer would like to see.  the ultimate fishing reel.  heavy for sure, but very tough. 

and this might be a good example of what happens to a reel by the time the guys in marketing are done with it.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JNP

Hallo Allan,
in 1996 I bought from Italy the Shimano Beastmaster 4/0 Two Speed.
Since then, I use this reel for deep live bait trolling with weight.
Its really an outstanding reel and I am happy to read the same from you.
Thats why I decided to photograph the reel,its schematics and the
parts list for anyone who is interesting.John from Greece.

JNP

Finally I learnt how to upload.Sorry its my first time.
A side view:

Details:

Schematics:

Parts list:

The reel is loaded with more than 600 yards Dyneema 40#.

wallacewt

basto

What a great reel. Another great metal bodied Triton. It`s a shame all the new stuff has to be so light and quiet and high geared.
I am very excited to have just found and purchased a gold Mark 2 Triton. Heavy, loud and low geared.  perfect.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Makule

Have a Beastmaster 50-80 that is my "go to" reel for big game, and an 80-130 that someone is supposed to buy today.  Awesome machines that fell out of favor, just like the Penn 114MTL.  Great pieces of fine engineering and workmanship.  The only problem spot being the drag washer that tends to "melt" and turn into a tough jelly-like material rendering the drag useless.  Of course, the modern carbon fiber washers of the correct diameter and thickness can be gotten so it's not much of a problem.

Shimano made these in the full range of sizes, just like the Penn Internationals, but I think the prices weren't competitive so retailers couldn't afford to stock them (and the parts) so people stopped buying them.  Agree with Alan: Ahead of its time.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Robert Janssen

Ahead of its time perhaps, but not much. The TBM reels didn't debut until around 1987, not in the '70s.

The TLD series was marketed concurrently with the BM and TTS and TR series reels in 1988. The perceived lackluster sales figures (really? not sure how many they made or sold) may have been the effect of something called brand cannibalism-- one brand eating up its brother's market niche. The several series overlapped each others markets, so maybe the marketeers decided someone had to go.

That one in the picture has a pretty high serial number though, which, if truly serial, sort of suggests they made rather a lot of them.

steelfish

I have a friend that is offering me a Triton Beastmaster 12/30 II-speed (not th 4/0) but everything seems equal.
how do you guys think this reel will perform with 80# braid or 65#, how hard to find are the parts for this model?
asking this because the reel has the shift push buttom cover broken already

is it on the same league of the TLD 20II or are totally different?

I was with the idea to find a used TLD 20II but this guys told me that he has this model instead... Im not totally sold on the triton yet

would this perform as a good trolling reel?

The Baja Guy

ohfishalee

I have one of these reels and can't wait to spool it

Where can I find a source for the following parts

P/N#s

21 Bolt Shield
23A Lever Quadrant

ohfishalee

Quote from: ohfishalee on January 12, 2016, 04:20:26 AM

P/N#s

21 Bolt Shield
23A Lever Quadrant

Thanks Alan for helping with some parts.

Anyone know where I can get the Lever Quadrant p/n#
TT0023A

Southwestern Parts apparently don't have it

ohfishalee

Quote from: ohfishalee on February 20, 2016, 04:24:38 PM
Quote from: ohfishalee on January 12, 2016, 04:20:26 AM

P/N#s

21 Bolt Shield
23A Lever Quadrant

Found the parts on ebay 'jdltreasures'

Can someone confirm what bearings this reel takes (is it an equivalent to a reel like the Tiagra 20 or 30?)
Thanks Alan for helping with some parts.

Anyone know where I can get the Lever Quadrant p/n#
TT0023A

Southwestern Parts apparently don't have it