Spinning reels for distance casting

Started by Swami805, March 25, 2021, 11:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

How many spinning reels are gonna hold 300+ yds. of any heavy line?

Frank

philaroman

w/ 50-65lb braid that Swami wants to use?  ...many upon many
should be something decent in 14 oz. ballpark, maybe?

mbg60

Since you're asking about getting distance with spinning reels I'll give up what I have been using for the last 30 years.  Largest fish caught by me with a spinner from the shoreline is a 54lb GT/Ulua.  I have seen Ulua brought up from shore on spinners in excess of 100lbs. 

The reels I have been using are Daiwa SS9000, Shimano Stella(5000-20000) - not really distance casters but decent, Shimano SpinPower Power Aero, and Shimano Ultegra 14000. These reels are attached to rods in the 13-14 1/2' range.  All rods are equipped with Breakaway Cannon's mounted at 90 degrees to the reel.  I usually cast 40-60lb hollow core with the appropriate sized wind-on leader.  Engaging in actual fishing I can get about 50-70 yards with a small bait and lead up to 8oz.  I'm not a good caster so I'm positive a good caster could squeeze out another 20 yards using this gear.

The Shimano Ultegra can cast pretty far using 5-8oz lead and 60lb hollow core. The line lay is excellent.  If you know how to fight smaller sized fish from shore the Ultegra will handle. I haven't caught any Ulua over 20lbs with this reel yet but I have landed large stingrays and small 40lb sharks. I would like to try a Shimano Aero Technium but they are hard to find.

The SpinPowers can cast pretty far too but the largest spools available are good only up to 40lb hollow, I've had the reel emptied on runs from larger fish when using 60lb hollow.  Spooky.  I've casted lead up to 9oz with these reels.

The Daiwa SS is an older reel and has brought up Ulua up to 21lbs.  Can't cast as far the other reels I own.  I used the Daiwa Emblem's in the past but have bent the spool shafts so I stay away from them.

Stella needs no summary. Casting distance achieved by ME is somewhere between 15-20 yards LESS than the Ultegra with similar sized lines.  I load 60lb hollow and cast lead between 6-9 oz using the 18000/20000.  I use 40lb hollow on the 14000.  These reels will handle any shore fish here in Hawaii, make sure your ROD is up to the task too. 

Hope this gives you some ideas or, at least, a starting point.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mbg60

The rods I use are CTS S8 customs, CCP, Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic (all 3 models), old Cosmotech (4-6oz), Nitro (medium heavy), Purglas, and Older Fenwick SurfStik customs.  The CTS and Cosmotech are the best casters for me with the Ballistics not far behind.  The CTS running guides are Titanium Low Riders in sizes 6, 8, and 10 depending on the rod ratings.  The size 6 handle the wind-on serves of 60lb fluorocarbon leaders.

I have a Fenwick Elite Tech 14' rated 1-6oz that I stripped and rewrapped, elongated the rear grip, changed and relocated guides, to be used as a spinner. I've purchased an Ultegra CI4 5500 to pair with this rod but haven't used it yet.  In test casting with the Power Aeros, 60lb hollow, and 4-5oz lead I was getting over 120 yards casting lead only casting at the football field.  I think I'll get better distance with 40lb, 4oz, and the Ultegra.  The rod is a little too slow tapered for my liking but it gets distance.

tristan

Lots of good info on this thread.   

For distance fishing the single biggest upgrade for me was going to braid, and the lightest possible for the application garners the longest casts, all else being equal.

Braid brings it's own set of issues, of course. Wind knots, leader knots breaking off on power casts, requirement for finger protection, etc...   

Length of Lever (fishing rod) being next most important, and it's length is dependent on a number of factors such as target species, rod action, etc.  12' has been the most effective max length for distance casting for me, though I have rods from 8' - 14' and they've each got their strengths and weaknesses.   

Next, design of the reel, especially the spool.    As others noted, a wide, tall spool has the greatest potential for long casts.

I have a diawa Emcast with the long-cast design, and tossing bait at the beach with mono it does a great job.   iirc, it's spooled with 17 or 20lb mono.    I'm going to change out the line to 15 or 20lb braid and should be able to cast almost to Mexico from here...  (lol)

If you're just looking for just a bit more distance, and otherwise your gear is set up the way you want, using the min. diameter braid for your application will likely give you an extra bit of distance, maybe 'enough'.

Here's a vid I  enjoyed which covers the issue:

Donnyboat

There is a chap in our area, who has had quite a bit to do with long casting, he uses conventional reels, with ceramic bearings, he sprays the bearings with alcohol before use,  does not add any other lube,.
     he stresses that you have your right hand up the rod, using it as a pivot, & do most of the cast by pulling with the left hand, with more of a round cast instead of over the shoulder.
     of coarse the timing of letting go of the line is very important to get a straight cast, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

DougK

Quote from: Swami805 on March 25, 2021, 11:56:50 AM
I've seem some reels with tall spools, is that some thing to consider or just a gimmick?  Does a wider spool help?

absolutely does..

http://www.ticafishing.com/fishing-reel-samira-sbat/

I think is available in the US. There are lots of long-cast specific reels for the rest of the world, but can be tough to find here. US fishing doesn't have much emphasis on shorecasting, where S. Africa and Australia are mostly about surfcasting.

Gliss is the line I like. My brother has some 12 and 14ft rods for shore fishing the Australian salmon runs, uses these long cast reels with Gliss. In practice casting under good conditions we were getting 150yds plus..
A good cast goes noticeably further than most. Then you have the fun of thinking about it and trying to replicate whatever it was that worked..
Overpowering the cast kills the distance, the timing of force application needs to be precise..

Jenx

My first thought when I read the title was, "Why buy a spinning reel for distance casting?"

Then I read your comment about it being a good excuse to buy more stuff. I can get behind that.

Good luck.

Shark Hunter

I use a Quantum Cabo 120 that holds about 500 yards of 100lb braid. It packs 60lbs of drag.
Ocean Master Rod from Bass Pro. I can cast a 4 oz weight and a big chunk of bait a good distance.
Then sit back in the chair.
No Kayaks or Giant Senators.
It is super nice to walk out of the Condo with a chair, a bag and a rod with a cooler over my shoulder.
Not multiple trips that take my truck to move the gear.
I can bring in a decent fish with this setup with minimal effort.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25542.30

Life is Good!

tristan

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 11, 2021, 11:56:06 PM
I use a Quantum Cabo 120 that holds about 500 yards of 100lb braid. It packs 60lbs of drag.
Ocean Master Rod from Bass Pro. I can cast a 4 oz weight and a big chunk of bait a good distance.
Then sit back in the chair.
No Kayaks or Giant Senators.
It is super nice to walk out of the Condo with a chair, a bag and a rod with a cooler over my shoulder.
Not multiple trips that take my truck to move the gear.
I can bring in a decent fish with this setup with minimal effort.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25542.30

Nice!