Salmon great southern Western Australia

Started by Donnyboat, March 25, 2021, 12:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

some news tonight about a large school of salmon @ chains beach, that is about 30 Miles East of Albany on the South coast. pronounced Al-bany.
    if you google-ABC great Southern post/face book
    not sure how many tonnes of fish there, but a fortnight ago, one of the pro`s netted 10 tonnes down that way. good luck cheers Don, if that does not work, then i will try to send it to my old mate Wayne to post.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Hi Don, I had a quick search - is this the post you're talking about? https://www.facebook.com/ABCGreatSouthern/videos/school-of-salmon-metres-from-beach/234702177770624/
I don't know much about your salmon, but is there predators like dolphins or sharks herding them into the shore?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

El Pescador

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 25, 2021, 12:23:34 PM
... i will try to send it to my old mate Wayne to post.

Donnyboat!!!!

I stand at your ready to post any and all photos you send to me.

BUTT somehow...  The words "I'll throw a Salmon on the Barbie" do not ring clear as Paul Hogan's words he first spoke in 1984!!!! ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_on_the_barbie#:~:text=%22Barbie%22%20is%20Australian%20slang%20for,word%20prawn%20rather%20than%20shrimp.&text=Prawns%20are%20a%20popular%20traditional%20Christmas%20seafood%20in%20Australia.

And why do you folks Downunder say PRAWNS vs SHRIMP?????  Inquiring minds want to know.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Good Mike yes thats it, thanks, there is possibly a chain reaction there a feeding frenzy, the salmon, are feeding on mullies or hearing, it looks like more hearing on the foreshore than salmon, & of coarse there would be the odd shark feeding on the salmon.
    the salmon are Atlantic salmon, they travel from East to West across the South of Australia, then up the West coast, they get right up the Swan River near Perth from time to time, they have also been caught, around Kalbarrie, Murchison River, & as far North as Exmouth.
    last year they were catching them out to sea West of Bunbury, in 80 M of water, on the bottom.
    Now Mr Wayne, I think we covered the prawn thing O before, scrimp over here, are only about 1.5 inches long, they use them to catch whiting, pilch  other fish, they also get prawns up the rivers, approximatle 2 to 4 inches, they also trawl for prawns in the ocean, from Sharks Bay to Canarvon, & in exmouth gulf, also on the North of Australia, gulf of Carpantaria, anythink from King prawns to tiger prawns & banana prawns, & so on, now Wayne light the barbie, & open a king brown,( 26 ounce bottle  of beer ). cheers Don. sorry about the spelling.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

A King Brown Ale,

Never enjoyed one!!!

Might have to visit western AU sometime and enjoy a cold King Brown Ale with our own - Donnyboat!!!!

Wayne

Donnyboat

yes Wayne your most welcome, see if we can catch a Dhu fish to, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

See my comments in another thread about taking care of ones glassware - THAT is a beautiful "beer clean" glass and one fine looking quaff of ale! - john

jurelometer

The species that Don is referring to is Arripis trutta, AKA Australian Salmon  or Kahawai (New Zealand).  They ar definitely not related to any of the Salmoninae species, and are not similar at all in terms of table fare.  They don't even look much like a salmon to me.

Having said that, this as a great light tackle species and can be found right off the beaches at times in big schools herding up microbaits on the surface. The fight and typical size is similar to a Coho Salmon.  They are a staple inshore gamefish species in southeast Australia. I have fond memories of clashing Aussie Salmon on the fly.

If you get a chance to head to Don's neck of the continent, there are a ton of interesting species to target.

-J

El Pescador

Dave,

You would have made the BEST Lab Partner in High school Biology!!!!  BUTT, I always wanted to sit next to the cute girls ;D

Here the species of AU Salmon Dave is pointing out.

It is in the Perch-like fish Order of taxonomy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arripis_trutta

And YES, I would agree it does sound much better saying...   Let's throw an Arripis on the Barbie!!!!!

Wayne

Dominick

On second don't send any.   ;D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Hi  Dominic, these salmon are not the best eating, if you bleed them as soon as you catch them,  place them on ice, or lightly fry them straight away, there not to bad, most people bake them rapted in alfoil, & stuff them with tomatoes & onion plus herbs. or maranay & smoke them, some one from NZ maybe able to chime in, they catch them all year around down there, I think they make good king fish bait, they grow up to about 8Kg, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat