Help identifying poppers

Started by CooldadE, March 26, 2021, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I was perusing Craigslist again and found a bunch of Tuna tackle. Hooks, jigs, big poppers, barrel sinkers and these smaller poppers... looks like the guy before me cut the rear loop for the hook off and replaced the front hook with a nice single hook. What are these and why did he cut off the rear hook ? I haven't gone down to the river and tested them yet... wanted to see what y'all think.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

oc1

It makes for a cleaner hook-up.  They originally has two trebble hooks.

Swami805

Easier to shake off a fish, like slimey barracuda when you don't want to touch them. Fun way to fish when they'll eat those
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

So are these little " kelp patty poppers" ? What kind of fish would they generally target ?

Cool

Bryan Young

Those look like OG Pili lures from Hawaii.  But someone cut off the rear ring where the tail hook was located.  What a shame. >:(

Those lures have caught a great number of Ulua (GT) around the world.  Pili is starting up again, and can't wait to get their lures out on the water again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 27, 2021, 12:08:46 AM
Those look like OG Pili lures from Hawaii.  But someone cut off the rear ring where the tail hook was located.  What a shame. >:(

Those lures have caught a great number of Ulua (GT) around the world.  Pili is starting up again, and can't wait to get their lures out on the water again.

Agree.

Originally they would be rigged with two trebles without rings.  The eyes on  the trebles are clipped and bent to slide them on the lure.   The favorite target for these lures was Ulua (Giant Trevally), and they did not trust split rings for big fish back in the day.  The originals were made from surfboard building foam and resin.

They made a similar smaller popper with a chunk of fish skin imbedded instead of foam  for targeting barracuda. 

The Pilis cast  well and work OK for me when I work them fast, but they are not my favorites.   Mine are all old, but in stil in very good shape  :).  I proabably need a  Hawaiian to show me how to properly work them.   They will work in SoCal on anything that likes a fast popper,  probably best  for boiling tuna.  Folks used to use them a bit out of SoCal, so they are not unknown in CA. Perhaps an old school long ranger can add something.

-J

CooldadE

Thanks for all the feedback / info. Ima go down to the river with my Phenix M1 SMX-82H and Lexa 400 and see how these things work...

Cool